PDA

View Full Version : People, please!

Chicken Dinner
09-04-2014, 08:38 AM
I'm really not an anti-cell phone Nazi. Really. But, could we all just stay off the phone long enough to back out of our drive ways or a parking spot at the store? I really don't want to T-bone your stupid ass. While I'm at it, can you walkers put it down long enough to cross the street and not walk down the middle of a parking totally clueless and gabbing away. I'm a lot less concerned with running your stupid asses over. (It's much less likely to damage my truck.)

Rant over.

BarryBobPosthole
09-04-2014, 08:47 AM
Curmudgeon alert!

BKB

LJ3
09-04-2014, 09:06 AM
It's gotten ridiculous. I honked at a cop who was pecking away at his phone at a green light last week.

Big Muddy
09-04-2014, 09:11 AM
Chicken Man is right....just in the past month, I've been run off the road, nearly rear-ended, and nearly t-boned, twice....each time, I immediately noticed the other drivers were on their cell phones....I have become more alert at all intersections because you really don't know, if the s.o.b., approaching the stop sign or red light is REALLY gonna stop, or not....you gotta be a totally defensive driver, nowadays.

HideHunter
09-04-2014, 09:13 AM
Just the other day on the interstate we noticed a car all over the road - centerline to rumble-strips and back. When we got up the guts to pass it was about a 70 year old man trying to dial or text on a cell phone. Met a trucker the other day. He had a CB in one hand and a cell in the other. Been a few years now but I was run completely off the road three times in four years all by - not drunks - but women on cell phone. Sorry - pet peeve..

Bwana
09-04-2014, 11:50 AM
I agree CD, if I had my druthers someone would invent an app that deactivates a cell phone if it is in a moving vehicle.

BarryBobPosthole
09-04-2014, 11:55 AM
One thing that is driving this kind of behavior is that many people use their GPS features on their phone in lieu of using an actual GPS. So they're constantly on their phone while they drive if they're in an sort of delivery or UBER type of service job.

BKB

quercus alba
09-04-2014, 12:47 PM
I will admit to being as curmudgeonly as the next and more than most. While I hate cell phones for the most part (not as much as men posting cat pics on facebook) what I hate even more more is the mistaken notion that you have to drive like a bat out of hades everywhere you go. Red lights, stop signs, and double yellow lines mean absolutely nothing to people anymore. I wish speeding tickets were $1000 bucks per pop and 30 days in jail. second offense would be double as well as being tasered daily.

BaseballCoach (Rev A)
09-04-2014, 08:27 PM
They do have an app that is marketed for parents to put on teen driver's phones. They can program a speed at which the phone quits functioning. My oldest is taking his learners permit test Saturday and I think this app may be in his future.

Captain
09-04-2014, 08:31 PM
What trips my trigger is a SLOW left lane driver. They get beside a car going their same speed and back up the interstate for miles.
Note to all here. If you are on the interstate and someone passes you on YOUR right.... You're an asshole.
No matter how fast you want to drive if you get in the left lane, pass and MOVE over there is someone wanting to go faster than you.
Damn blood pressure getting up just sitting in my chair thinking about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

DeputyDog
09-04-2014, 09:52 PM
Capps, they are either an asshole or from Michigan. Being right on the border, I see a lot of them and at least 90% of them don't know there is a lane to the right.

Thumper
09-04-2014, 10:35 PM
When the Yankees come down here in the winter, we just switch our driving style. We make the left lane the slow lane and make the right lane the fast lane. It gets a bit dicey at exits and on-ramps, but we compensate. Once Easter rolls around, they head back up north and we go back to driving normally.

I sometimes try to count the old fart Yankees driving 50 MPH in the left lane with their left turn signal on ... but I always run out of fingers. ;)

Egghead
09-05-2014, 07:33 AM
What trips my trigger is a SLOW left lane driver. They get beside a car going their same speed and back up the interstate for miles.
Note to all here. If you are on the interstate and someone passes you on YOUR right.... You're an asshole.
No matter how fast you want to drive if you get in the left lane, pass and MOVE over there is someone wanting to go faster than you.
Damn blood pressure getting up just sitting in my chair thinking about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

THIS! Plus if speed limits on limited access roads were set to the 85th percentile, we'd all be better off.