stuff to see
awesome hiking
Bonus: A fishable river where we could get a guided trip

Big Skyz
09-04-2014, 09:20 AM
Montana in July. You are welcome. :)

BarryBobPosthole
09-04-2014, 09:33 AM
Estes Park, Co and the Rocky Mountain National Park would be another option. The Big Thompson River has a lot of beautiful fishing opportunities. and I know Josh and Robyn would love to see ya too! Might be a good place to stage a camping trip like that.

sounds like fun!

BKB

Chicken Dinner
09-04-2014, 09:53 AM
All good suggestions. I'd probably lean hard toward Montana (particularly if you've never been) based on my experience a couple of years ago. Ideal weather and outstanding fishing just about every where. Estes Park and RMNP are very nice, but not quite Yellowstone or Glacier National Park areas. The Grand Tetons in Wyoming would be another idea.

LJ3
09-04-2014, 09:55 AM
What places in Montana? All I know is BS lives there. That's all I got.

BarryBobPosthole
09-04-2014, 09:56 AM
I've not been there but another option to look at might be the San Juan River in New Mexico. That might be more of a lodge type of place over tent camping but I've never been so I can't say for sure.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
09-04-2014, 10:39 AM
The area of Montana I went to was the Gallatin National Forest and the north/western part of YNP. Ton's of rivers and fishing. Based on Troy's pictures, it doesn't sound like you can go wrong and I certainly wouldn't go back without trying to hook up with him for some fishing. It takes a little while to get used to signs like this and the idea that the bear's can eat you...

Chicken Dinner
09-04-2014, 10:40 AM
Oops, forgot the picture...

Big Skyz
09-04-2014, 10:53 AM
River suggestions in Montana. Upper Yellowstone, Missouri River between Holter Dam and Craig Montana, Madison River, Blackfoot River, Gallatin River, Flathead River, Big Hole River, Bighorn River, and the Beaverhead River. They all provide outstanding trout fishing, especially in early July. There is probably a half a dozen or more rivers, but those are the one's that just come to mind without thinking too hard. If I just wanted a fishing frenzy I would stick close to Yellowstone National Park or Glacier National Park. Kallispell is in the center of some of the best fishing in the entire state and would be an excellent place to base out of. It's on the other side of the Rocky Mountain divide from where I live, but I go over there and fish every chance I get. Fishing on this side is pretty ridiculous good as well. If you draw a vertical line from Billings to Lewistown and then head anywhere West of that line, it's pretty hard to go wrong anywhere on the West side of the state.

Little creeks like this exist all over the western side of the state. Too numerous to list or even count. Just around where I live there are a dozen creeks full of trout within an hour's drive or less. Most within 15-20 minutes.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/Huntzz/Troy5-29-14_zps52896c96.jpg

Bwana
09-04-2014, 11:55 AM
Heads up BS, I am SERIOUSLY thinking ahead for a trip that way with my boy(s) and maybe my dad.

Chicken Dinner
09-04-2014, 12:21 PM
One of the most amazing things about the YNP area is the ability to see an amazing variety of animals. I think we saw every mammal there was to see other than maybe a big horn sheep. I wouldn't spend all my time in the park as it can get crowded. However, the wildlife and geological features are just amazing.

Big Skyz
09-04-2014, 12:31 PM
Just a pleasant reminder why I love Montana. This is filmed by some guys I know out of Missoula. It captures what fishing is like out here.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vprpZFVpj7w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bwana
09-04-2014, 12:36 PM
Took the family to Estes Park at the end of July and there was indeed a number of folks fishing on the Big Thompson River but it was very apparent the area took a pretty good beating in last year's floods. Never stopped to see if folks were catching anything so haven't got any insight on that aspect.

That being said, had the family at Glacier National Park last summer and though I only tried fishing there for about an hour one evening, without any luck, that is where I would go. We fell in LOVE with the beauty of the country and though we didn't catch any fish, according to the folks we talked with there are supposed to be oodles of fish in the area waters. Another plus is that you don't need a fishing license to fish within the Glacier NP boundaries. One downside, or maybe upside, depending on how you look at it, to fishing the Glacier area is the fact that grizzly bears live there. Suggest adding bear spray to your list of items to have with you, I also carried a 1911.

BarryBobPosthole
09-04-2014, 12:51 PM
Troy, have you looked at any of the fly fishing footage of folks catching steelhead up in BC on some of their rivers? Its amazing that places like that exist. On my bucket list.

BKB

Big Skyz
09-04-2014, 01:54 PM
Just for the record the fishing is generally better outside of Glacier Park. One thing I have noticed though, is a lot of people that come out here have their reels filled with line that is way too heavy for most creek/river fishing. On the creeks I only used 4-6 lbs line. On the rivers I used 8-10 lbs. Trying to fish light weight spinners, jigs, or spoons with 10 lbs or heavier line on a small creek usually doesn't work out very well for the fisherman. Works out great for the fish though, as darn few of them get caught. ;)

Big Skyz
09-04-2014, 01:55 PM
BBP, I have not watched the videos on BC, but have watched a bunch on steelhead fishing in Alaska, Idaho, and Oregon.

LJ3
09-04-2014, 02:46 PM
If you ADHD 'tards could stay on topic for another 10 posts or so I'd appreciate it. The guy I'll be doing this trip with is most likely gonna check the link since I told you him you guys know the best answer to the question. He may even register so act like you got some sense for fucks sake :)

Big Skyz
09-04-2014, 02:57 PM
Ummm it is pretty much on topic. One slight deviation for steelhead fishing, but at least it was fishing related...which is unusual for this place. You do know that you just invited Kribbs to come in here and mess up your thread right?

LJ3
09-04-2014, 02:59 PM
Ummm it is pretty much on topic. One slight deviation for steelhead fishing, but at least it was fishing related...which is unusual for this place. You do know that you just invited Kribbs to come in here and mess up your thread right?

Sigh.... I realize that NOW :slaphead:slaphead

Big Skyz
09-04-2014, 03:10 PM
Before it goes South, here is a top recommendation for an outfitter/guide that will put you on fish. I highly encourage you to consider a Missouri or Yellowstone River drift trip from this guy. You might just catch the biggest trout of your life. He can also take you up to Fort Peck and put you in smallmouth bass until your arms fall off.
http://walleyehunteroutfitters.com/

The hiking and camping are the easy part. The guide I recommended just took care of the hard part.

BarryBobPosthole
09-04-2014, 03:15 PM
you had him at smallmouth.

BKB

LJ3
09-04-2014, 03:58 PM
Yes... yes he did :)

Although I DO want to try my hand at trout. The only one I caught was by accident when smallie fishing and he fought every bit as hard as a smallie his size, if not a little more.

Big Skyz
09-04-2014, 04:31 PM
He's not that expensive, book a couple days. One for trout and one for smallies.

Thumper
09-04-2014, 05:42 PM
Does ANYBODY know what these thingies are? I have no clue. I picked 'em up at an estate sale today and nobody there knew what they were either. They were too cool to leave behind, so I dragged 'em home with me.

Oh wait! Sorry. Is this some sort of fishing thread? ;)

3587 3588 3589

Captain
09-04-2014, 08:26 PM
?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thumper
09-04-2014, 09:13 PM
Ha! No idea Cappy. I'm gonna start another thread. Just figured I'd stick it in here to be a smart-ass since I was being "called out". ;)

Captain
09-04-2014, 09:16 PM
Ha! No idea Cappy. I'm gonna start another thread. Just figured I'd stick it in here to be a smart-ass since I was being "called out". ;)

Smart ass, YOU! No way.... ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner