PDA

View Full Version : Wow, this one is 18 inch long.....

Big Muddy
09-05-2014, 01:40 PM
I bet even this monster shrimp couldn't fill up Thumper !!! ;)

"""A Florida fisherman caught what can only be described as a giant shrimp.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission posted a number of
images on their Facebook page of an 18-inch-long crustacean caught on a dock in Fort Pierce. Fisherman Steve Bargeron says a friend of his grabbed it by its back, just like a lobster.

Though it's not completely clear as to the exact species, FWC scientists suspect that it could be a type of mantis shrimp, which aren't really related to shrimp at all but can grow up to around 12 inches.

It's also unclear as to what was done with the discovery."""

BarryBobPosthole
09-05-2014, 01:43 PM
If it is a mantis shrimp, and it sure looks like one to me, then they are damn lucky it didn't break the guy's hand that picked it up. The two and three inch ones sometimes come as hitchhikers when people add corals to their marine aquariums. They've been known to break thick aquarium glass and fingers with their supersonic strikes. They'll flat thump ya.

BKB

Big Muddy
09-05-2014, 01:55 PM
By that last sentence, """it's also unclear as to what was done with the discovery""", I assume they are edible, and this one is gonna git ett. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
09-05-2014, 02:05 PM
I've never heard of them being edible. I am thinking they ain't.

BKB

Big Muddy
09-05-2014, 02:43 PM
Hmmm, I just figured that big boy would be in a pot of shrimp-boil water, by now. ;)

Looks like they are edible, according to Wiki Answers.....maybe not on many U.S. tables, but certainly in Asian countries:

"""In Japanese cuisine, the mantis shrimp species Oratosquilla oratoria is eaten boiled as a sushi topping, and occasionally, raw as sashimi; and is called shako (蝦蛄).

Mantis shrimp are abundant in the coastal regions of south Vietnam, known in Vietnamese as tôm tít or tôm tích. The shrimp can be steamed, boiled, grilled or dried; used with pepper, salt, and lime; fish sauce and tamarind; or fennel.[24]

In Cantonese cuisine, the mantis shrimp is known as "pissing shrimp" (攋尿蝦, Mandarin pinyin: lài niào xiā, Cantonese: laaih niu hā) because of their tendency to shoot a jet of water when picked up. After cooking, their flesh is closer to that of lobsters than that of shrimp, and like lobsters, their shells are quite hard and require some pressure to crack. Usually they are deep fried with garlic and chili peppers.

In the Mediterranean countries the mantis shrimp Squilla mantis is a common seafood, especially on the Adriatic coasts (canocchia) and the Gulf of Cádiz (galera).

In the Philippines, the mantis shrimp is known as tatampal, hipong-dapa or alupihang-dagat and is cooked and eaten like shrimp.

The usual concerns associated with consuming seafood caught in contaminated waters apply to mantis shrimp. In Hawaii, some have grown unusually large in the very dirty waters of the Grand Ala Wai Canal"""

Chicken Dinner
09-05-2014, 03:03 PM
I don't know how just about anything deep fried with garlic and chili sauce could be bad.

Big Muddy
09-05-2014, 03:10 PM
I don't know how just about anything deep fried with garlic and chili sauce could be bad.

MMMMMMMM, that's just how I like my chittlin's, Chick Man. ;)