PDA

View Full Version : The judge and DA need to be hit with a 1.5x3.5

Arty
09-09-2014, 09:18 PM
http://threepercenternation.com/2014/09/litigation-nation-lowes-pays-1-6m-settlement-over-2x4-labeling/

Thumper
09-09-2014, 09:31 PM
Ha! What a coinky-dink! Just this morning, my neighbor came over and we were chatting and picking on each other. I made some smart-assed remark and he said something like, "Kribbs, I ought'a whack you up side the head with a 2 X 4", and I replied with something along the line of, "Heck, these days, it's more like a 1 1/2 X 3!"

I guess this is a timely post. ;)

Sunshine
09-09-2014, 11:52 PM
Anyone that works with building materials, knows a 2x4 does not measure that.
This is ridiculous!
What's next that we have to dummy size it?!!
I'm a blonde and know a 2x4 does not measure that.
America is getting stupider by the day and courts that hear this crap are just as stupid

Flatlander
09-10-2014, 05:18 AM
Folks, I am generally quiet on here, but I sold building materials for 26 years and spent a good part of my youth unloading boxcars of lumber and hand stacking it. They haven't been actual 2X4's for years. This may stem back to the good ol' truth in labeling act back in the 70's with plywoods. Rather than 1/2" plywood it is 15/32 and 3/4 " is marked 23/32. They are still called 1/2 and 3/4 inch. Mills figure board footage pricing on a full size 2X4 or 2x12. The Lumber and Plywoods are marked with their grade on them, Stud or 2&btr. depending on the grading rules used. There is long list of grades both good and better or even utility. Plywoods are graded on their face veneers.
Most words out of me for a long time.

Arty
09-10-2014, 08:11 AM
I've know that a 2x4 was 1.5 x 3.5 since I was 7 yrs old. That's a fact.
I just wonder what was dumbass yuppy was building when he decided to talk to a lawyer about this???

BarryBobPosthole
09-10-2014, 08:17 AM
I've know that a 2x4 was 1.5 x 3.5 since I was 7 yrs old. That's a fact.
I just wonder what was dumbass yuppy was building when he decided to talk to a lawyer about this???

some guy with a three and a half inch peter that wishes it was 4"?

BKB

Arty
09-10-2014, 08:24 AM
Guilty.

Thumper
09-10-2014, 08:52 AM
Ha ha! WOW! Now we know how to get Flatlander to talk to us! :D

Actually, 2X4's were at one time actual 2X4's. I remember as a kid (about 10 yrs old?) I was helping my grandfather move a bunch of lumber he bought from someone who had torn down an old (1800's?) house and made a point to salvage as much lumber as possible. Those old 2X4's were actually 2X4's! I remember my grandfather made a point of mentioning that and explained those boards were old "rough-cut" timber and the newer 2X4's were finished timber where a lot of material is removed ... plus, when it dries, it gets even smaller. I really don't know how many changes have gone on in the past 100+ years, but the sizes HAVE changed from the original at one point or another ... but not in MY lifetime I don't think.

Captain
09-10-2014, 08:56 AM
When I worked at a sawmill we actually cut them 2"X4" and it was my understanding they all started out as a true 2X4 however after drying they are sent through the plainer to take out the rough mill marks that city folks didn't like to build with. The plainer takes a 1/4 inch off each side and leaves a 1-1/2X3-1/2 "2X4".

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

HideHunter
09-10-2014, 09:37 AM
Right Cap'n.. I also ran a sawmill (all air/hydraulic - from an air-conditioned cab ;) ). We cut what is called "dimension" lumber or "grade" lumber. Inch boards are an inch thick until they hit the planer.

johnboy
09-10-2014, 05:47 PM
My house is built with rough sawn lumber (mostly old growth fir - hard!) so it is actually full dimension. Built by an old German guy whose friend owned a lumber mill so he got the good stuff. The home inspector was amazed - said he'd never seen that before. House is skookum, as the old guys around here say.

Thumper
09-10-2014, 05:58 PM
Skookum! Ha! I never heard that term until I was in Seattle and one of my dad's employees used it to describe my dad. I had no clue what it meant, but the way he was talking, I assumed it was a good thing. I asked another local about it, but can't remember persactly what he told me ... I do remember it was positive though. Not sure if it means the same when referring to home construction, but again, I assume it's generally a good thing. (?)

Thumper
09-10-2014, 06:04 PM
Well heck, when all else fails ... there's always my good friend Google.

Skookum

It has a range of positive meanings. The word can mean 'good,' 'strong,' 'best,' 'powerful,' 'ultimate,' or 'brave.' Something can be skookum meaning 'really good' or 'right on! 'excellent!', or it can be skookum meaning 'tough' or 'durable.' A skookum burger is either a big or a really tasty hamburger, or both. Homecooked food described as skookum, is delicious and hearty. A person described as skookum, has a purpose and is on solid ground, and in good health and spirits. When used in reference to another person, e.g. "he's skookum," it conveys connotations of trustworthiness, reliability and honesty as well as (possibly but not necessarily) strength and size.

Being called skookum may also mean that someone can be counted on as reliable and hard-working, or is big and strong. Skookum house means jail or prison, cf. the English euphemism "the big house" but here meaning "strong house." Skookum tumtum, lit. "strong heart," is generally translated as "brave" or possibly "good-hearted."