PDA

View Full Version : Well, I'm excited!

Arty
09-10-2014, 08:26 PM
I just got word that I was high bid (I think only bid) on a small 64 acre parcel to hunt this year. All mine. Big enough for my and my two youngin's. Surrounding it is very large parcels of mostly farm land. 45 or so acres is 20 year old pines that have been thinned and some of it is pretty clear. Lots of lanes throughout. The edges are completely surrounded by very mature oaks. One corner is bottom land with a creek, and gets somewhat thick.

I only walked the property one time before placing the bid but I was very impressed with it.

One concern where I live is the running of dogs....it can cause problems for still hunters. BIG hunt clubs gobble up ALL land available for leasing. I looked at google maps and drove all around and I do not THINK there is any way for a hunt club to drop dogs that would be able to run across this property. Not to say I wouldn't see or hear a dog, but I am fairly confident that people won't be lined up around the edges of it.

Kinda late in the season to pick up land, but it's not for the lack of trying. I just happened to make a phone call Tuesday morning to a place that I had called 5 other times since Spring, and he said..."Uh, actually we DO have something I think" He said the owner (who owns at least 4,000 acres according to our counties GIS website) must have just overlooked listing it. He said it's happened before. "He's got so much land he don't know where most of it is"....(his words).

The lease is not signed, but it's supposed to be emailed tomorrow. I'm a happy guy tonight!

Thumper
09-10-2014, 08:41 PM
Cool beans. If a dog runs across YOUR lease, it's fair game.

(well, prolly not "legally") ;)

Captain
09-10-2014, 09:25 PM
Congrats. That's good news. Hope you can keep the lease for several years. Seems like they get better with time.... :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Buckrub
09-10-2014, 10:05 PM
I found 46 acres adjoining our deer lease that I leased. Subsequently, I let our club pay me for it, and we all hunt it. We have about 1,200 other acres, but about half our deer are killed on this small acreage. NO ONE hunts the adjoining land to it. We have the land on the southern border, but can't get in there due to thick cover. The east, north, and western boundaries of it are leased by others, but not hunted.

Congrats.

Is it an annual lease?

Big Muddy
09-11-2014, 12:23 AM
Arty, hope this doesn't happen to you, and it prolly won't.

Couple of years ago, there was a coonazz guy from LA, going around leasing out duck hunting land....business looked very legit, business cards, and all....had his business cell number listed in several newspapers and magazine ads....he had maps, land descriptions, and leases in-hand to be signed on leases in both MS and LA....even leased out the SAME land to different duck hunters....long-story-short, he didn't even know the landowner's, let alone, permission to lease out the land....he would just drive or boat right onto the properties, like he owned them, or had permission to do so.

He collected over $134,000 from unsuspecting duck hunters....he finally got caught as soon as duck season opened, when several different groups of hunters showed up to hunt the same leased property.

He may not have even been busted, but the dumb coonazz was stupid enough to give his real name to the potential leasees....the feds busted him at his home in LA....last I heard, he was serving a 3 year prison sentence, and had to reimburse the duped duck hunters, by selling off his big fancy truck, boats, and atvs because he had used them to show the properties to the hunters.

I got this info., first-hand from one of the duped hunters.

Thumper
09-11-2014, 12:31 AM
They were doing something similar down here during the housing collapse. People were renting vacant houses that they didn't even own! Most were bank repo's I believe. They'd collect first and last rent as well as security deposits and move people into them. I'm not positive if they'd continue collecting rent or simply disappear with the money.

Arty
09-11-2014, 07:58 AM
Yes it's a annual lease. And what I'm hoping is that being a "customer" of this company now.... Might get me first pick or at least a heads up when/if Something else came open down the road.

I'm just hoping, if it turns out to be a good spot, that they don't clear cut it this spring!

Chicken Dinner
09-11-2014, 08:45 AM
Happy Sunday hunting!