PDA

View Full Version : Ummmm .... GULP!

Thumper
09-11-2014, 09:20 AM
Looks like I've been breaking the law for the past 30 years. :hair

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - A Florida Representative wants to repeal a state law that makes it illegal for unmarried couples to live together.

The statute, which dates back to the 1800's, is a second degree misdemeanor that bans couples for cohabitating. Last year 550,000 unmarried Florida couples filled out their census forms indicating they lived together.

Under the current law, an unmarried couple caught living together can face 60 days in jail and a 500 dollar fine.

Rep. Ritch Workman who represents Melbourne says if the law isn't being enforced, then the state should take it off the books. However, members of several faith organizations think the government should be a stronger supporter of marriage.

BarryBobPosthole
09-11-2014, 09:23 AM
I'm sure by almost any definition of the law, you two are common law married by now.

She still carries your nuts around in her purse.

BKB

DeputyDog
09-11-2014, 09:36 AM
That depends on whether or not Florida recognizes common law marriage. Indiana doesn't.

Thumper
09-11-2014, 09:38 AM
Why do you think I left California? Florida doesn't recognize "common law" marriage. :D

(you may be right about the nuts thing ... but at least she ain't carryin' legally!) ;)

Thumper
09-11-2014, 09:39 AM
Dang! Deppity beat me to it ... kind'a-sort'a.

Captain
09-11-2014, 04:59 PM
It's still illegal in NC too.
I would not work an officer that lived with a girlfriend/boyfriend.
It was part of my hiring practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thumper
09-11-2014, 05:04 PM
Curmudgeon.

Captain
09-11-2014, 05:33 PM
I don't say if I like the law or agreed with it. I just said it IS law in NC.
How could I swear an officer to uphold all the laws of the state KNOWING he was breaking a law everyday his own self!
If the law is no good then get rid of it and I would not have a conflict.
But my standards were to enforce laws of the state not pick and choose which ones I liked.

BarryBobPosthole
09-11-2014, 05:36 PM
That explains why cops are always cranky. None of them ever get blow jobs.

BKB

Captain
09-11-2014, 05:37 PM
Damn, glad I'm retired! :D

Captain
09-11-2014, 05:49 PM
That explains why cops are always cranky. None of them ever get blow jobs. BKB

They probably get more than the average feller .... Or at LEAST offers.

Thumper
09-11-2014, 05:57 PM
Well, here are a few North Carolina laws still on the books. Did you ever break one? :D

1) Oral sex is considered a crime against nature.

2) While having sex, you must stay in the missionary position and have the shades pulled.

3) All couples staying overnight in a hotel must have a room with double beds that are at least two feet apart.

Now here's a law on the books for the CITY of Charlotte!

1) Women must have their bodies covered by at least 16 yards of cloth at all times.

Now, here are a couple of my favorites:

1) Persons in possession of illegal substances must pay taxes on them. (Ummm, okayyyyy ... )

2) Elephants may not be used to plow cotton fields. (Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! How 'bout John Deere's?) ;)

3) It’s against the law to sing off key. (I hope you never join the church choir!)

Here are a few more:

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/north-carolina

Buckrub
09-11-2014, 06:02 PM
Sixteen yards??? How could they walk? Course, most wives.......would need that much....um.......um.......never mind.

Captain
09-12-2014, 06:22 AM
1) Persons in possession of illegal substances must pay taxes on them. (Ummm, okayyyyy ...

Yes we have a illegal drug tax stamp in NC where you have to buy a tax stamp for your illegal drugs above a certain quantity. When a drug bust is made if the drugs do not have the tax stamp on them that is another separate charge and fine. It has netted NC more then a 135 million in revenue over the last few years.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/6833320/

I posted about this years ago when It first became law.

Thumper
09-12-2014, 06:48 AM
Ha ha! Now that's like rubbing salt in their wounds! :D

I'm surprised nobody has questioned the legality of that law. How can anybody be expected to pay a tax on something illegal? It sounds like a cool catch-22 and I have no problem with it ... but at the same time, it sounds to me like it would be on pretty shaky legal ground. That's just plain weird!