PDA

View Full Version : Thump, have you kept up with this???.....

Big Muddy
09-11-2014, 10:42 AM
The Orlando Sentinel :A Conservative College Student Who Lives With Her Parents Pulled Off a Shocking Election Upset

"""Jennifer Sullivan, a conservative Republican who just might be the most unlikely election winner you're going to hear about this year.

Sullivan is 23. She's still in college and she lives with her parents. She ran against much older opponents boasting a lot more money and more influential endorsements.

And she still won the Aug. 26 election by six points and will now serve a two-year term representing an area of about 150,000 constituents.

The Orlando Sentinel reported that Sullivan was viewed as the most conservative candidate of the five who were running. She was home-schooled and is the daughter of the founder of a local Tea Party organization in North Lake, Florida.

She's also the youngest woman ever elected to the Florida Legislature.

Sullivan talked to Brian Kilmeade this morning to discuss how she was able to pull this off. Her campaign's main plan was to "connect with voters," knocking on doors and just trying to focus on listening to voters' concerns.

Sullivan also hopes to inspire other millennials to also get involved in politics.

"I may only be 23, but I still pay taxes. I still have a job. The economy affects us. This administration is affecting my future and I can't sit back and idly allow it to fall apart. I want to be part of the solution," she said"""

Thumper
09-11-2014, 10:56 AM
Nope ... haven't heard anything about it. I wish her luck. Sounds like an ambitious young gal.

Big Muddy
09-11-2014, 11:00 AM
Also, it seems I heard of another young person, winning an election....I think it was in WVA, where a 17 year old upset an incumbent, who was some sort of weirdo, anyway....I remember something about him answering questions and giving speeches on the senate/house floor, using lyrics. ;)

Thumper
09-11-2014, 11:02 AM
Most West Virginians are weirdos anydamnway. :biggrin

BarryBobPosthole
09-11-2014, 11:12 AM
We had a 21 year old get elected to our state senate in the county I grew up in. He served two terms in the legislature and senate and did an really good job. He got swept out of office when just about the whole state went red. Its interesting that its one of the poorest counties in the state and is 70% registered Democrats.

BKB

Thumper
09-11-2014, 11:55 AM
Yep, we have a "kid" here whom I first voted for when he was 22 years old (he won) to the Florida House of Representatives. He did an excellent job and after 4 years, ran for the U.S. House. He won that election and has been re-elected every election since (I've voted for him every time he's been up for election). He's now the Agricultural Commissioner (his choice) which I thought was a bit of a conflict of interest since his family is big-time into the citrus industry here. BUT ... he's as honest and straight forward as anyone you could possibly ask for in politics. A REAL GOOD kid ... well, not so much a kid anymore. We need more like him IMHO. Anyway, this gal in Orlando is starting out the same way Adam did it appears.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Putnam

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/82/Adam_Putnam.jpg/220px-Adam_Putnam.jpg