PDA

View Full Version : CC fraud

jb
09-11-2014, 03:10 PM
Just received a call from Cabela's CC, checking on a $240 purchase from a specialty store in TX. The order was declined by Cabela's and they called me to see if it was legit or not.
It was not so they automatically closed my account and are issuing me a new card in a few days.
Not long ago someone charged $2,500 in airline tickets to my wife's CC and we never knew it until she received her monthly statement. She had very little hassle getting it taken off, but she was pissed that it was that easy for them to use it.
So, as far as i"m concerned, Cabela's is a great CC Co.

Big Skyz
09-11-2014, 03:26 PM
This is something I worry about quite a bit. I'm glad it worked out so well for you. The only CC I own is a Cabela's. I've only been called by them once. While I was in Africa they called and wanted to know why charges were suddenly happening in South Africa. It was good to know they were watching out for me. So now when I go on a trip far from Montana, I try to remember to notify them.

Buckrub
09-11-2014, 03:34 PM
I use mine for gas. They have a service for us big spenders (ha) that they will text you and ask if a charge is legit. You can text back "yes" or "no". Best system I've seen.

Thumper
09-11-2014, 04:41 PM
I had the same a couple years back. Someone loaded a cell phone with a shit-load of minutes in Puerto Rico. The CC company called and checked on it .. I told them both our cards are right here with us in Florida. They sent a note saying they credited our account and were "investigating" ... but I never heard another word. They did cancel our cards and issued new ones.

Sky, I had the same happen with American Express many years ago. I went to Thailand and was making a purchase in Bangkok. When they scanned my card, a message popped up to call the company. American Express had them put me on the line and I assured them the charges were legit. I also inform them anytime I leave the country now ... where I'm going and approximately how long I'll be there.

One time my dad was on his way to Florida and stopped at a rest area to use the restroom. He dropped his wallet in the parking lot and didn't realize it until he stopped for gas and discovered his wallet was missing. No cash, no credit card, etc. He called AmEx and they ok'd a charge at the gas station and they over-nighted a new card to my house (his destination). It arrived here about the same time he did!

The real kicker? When he arrived back home in Seattle a week or two later, his wallet was in his mail ... along with all his papers, credit cards AND cash! Someone had found it in the parking lot of that rest area. They wrote a note that they'd tried calling but got no answer (home phone), so they just mailed it. He took the cash and mailed it back to them, along with a thank-you card.

Sunshine
09-11-2014, 07:25 PM
I tried to use mine one day and it said call cabelas. They asked if I made a $600 purchase overseas and I hadn't. They closed the account and sent me a new card.

I only have one other card and I have a small limit purchased, on that one, before it emails me the card was used and amount.

Only way you can protect your cards, is with good monitoring by cabelas or setting up notifications when cards are used.
I love my cabelas!!! :D

Oh and every time, before a trip, I call them to let them know our destination, so they watch the transactions.

Niner
09-12-2014, 06:48 AM
Glad you guys are having good luck with the Cabelas credit cards. We had a card with them....actually do still have the card just don't ever use it.

We used to use it for EVERYTHING to get the points, and paid it off every month to keep from getting slammed with the interest. Well, one month they screwed up and charged us interest. Wife called them about it and they would not budge on the 30 something dollar charge. She asked them point blank if loosing our business was worth 30 bucks due to THEIR mistake...and they basically said "Yes". SO, it's a "backup card" nowadays. We use a card from a Credit Union I've been a member with since the 1970's....and they appreciate our business.

Arty
09-12-2014, 07:02 AM
This is something that has never happened to us. Knock on wood.

But I'm always wondering when it will.

DeputyDog
09-12-2014, 07:57 AM
I've never had any fraudulent use of any of my cards, but Cabela's did contact me once regarding a possible breach and they sent me a new card and cancelled the old one for me.