PDA

View Full Version : Firearms Related Science Fair Project

Chicken Dinner
09-12-2014, 11:22 AM
My elder Man Cub is required to do a science fair project this year. (9th Grade). He wants to do something related to firearms and is looking for ideas. Any suggestions?

LJ3
09-12-2014, 11:41 AM
Hehehehehehe... Can I PLEASE come to his school that night in Arlington County?

You DO realize you're going to wind up on the local news as a crazed gun nut teaching his children how to shoot more classmates, right?

Niner
09-12-2014, 12:46 PM
M1 Garand vs M16 compare and contrast

Big Skyz
09-12-2014, 12:59 PM
Media perception vs the truth about firearms...

Big Muddy
09-12-2014, 01:14 PM
Good idea, Sky....the boy will have to do some good research....I'd start with the very low number of hunting-related gun accidents in each state, since the mandatory hunter safety courses were enacted....that info. should be readily available online from each state's DOW websites.

Chicken Dinner
09-12-2014, 01:17 PM
I've actually been pleasantly surprised at how the local schools, given their reputation, have reacted to his introduction of hunting and shooting topics in the past. I guess we'll see. While human behavior can certainly be the subject of a science fair project, I'm fairly certain the boy is hoping to get some actual shooting in as part of this.

Niner
09-12-2014, 01:22 PM
I'll betcha a trip down to the NRA's offices might provide a wealth of good information on Troy's idea.

Niner
09-12-2014, 01:25 PM
Speaking of school systems. After we moved down here to "the sticks" from the Atlanta suburbs, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the local high schools around here have competitive shooting teams.

Chicken Dinner
09-12-2014, 02:29 PM
Heck, I live in one of the most liberal communities in the country and my kids high school has a Rifle Team.

Thumper
09-12-2014, 03:06 PM
Well, you're looking for a SCIENCE project that can be tied in to shooting. I'll throw my hat into the ring with something basic ... but I think with some thought and "maybe" some input from a few dufes on this site, we may be able to build on it.

When I was in basic training in the Army, I'll never forget when our drill sergeant filled an ammo can with water, latched it closed (they're water tight) and shot it with an M16. That thing exploded like it had a stick of dynamite inside. I was totally impressed when that thing turned itself inside out and was completely destroyed.

The boy could shoot an empty can and show how the bullet simply goes through it. Then shoot the same type can (get 'em at any Army Surplus Store) full of water. The "science lesson" could center on the principles and power of hydraulics ... or something along that line.

Like I said, shooting a coupl'a cans could be the basic premise ... then take it anywhere you want from there.

quercus alba
09-12-2014, 06:26 PM
You can do the same thing with a coke can and a 22 mag. Call it water displacement under stress or something. even better, explode a cat on the football field with a 220 swift. Living tissue resistance to high velocity projectile

Buckrub
09-12-2014, 06:34 PM
1) Firearms related crime reduction in areas that allow CCW.

2) Crime increase in areas with highest gun related restrictions.

3) Uselessness of gun restrictions to combat crime (give statistics).

4) Shoot a tightened can of gasoline and show how the bullet simply goes through it, no explosion.

Captain
09-12-2014, 08:10 PM
I like QA's shoot the cat idea.... ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

LW
09-12-2014, 08:46 PM
I would go with the idea of showing the correlation of projectile velocity velocity versus mass on cavitation created by the projectile. Great stuff and lots of dramatic props if you make up some ballistic gel.

BaseballCoach (Rev A)
09-12-2014, 10:51 PM
Build and shoot a homemade black powder cannon. The directions you could go scientifically are endless. Energy, inertia, trajectory, you name it.

BarryBobPosthole
09-12-2014, 11:22 PM
Well, here's a less politically motivated idea for a gun related science project.

Lewis and Clark took along a Girandoni Air Rifle on their exploration of western America and awed the native Americans they met with their demostrations of it. Its a very cool Device and has a very interesting history.

BKB