PDA

View Full Version : Back on the water today....

Captain
09-14-2014, 05:14 PM
After a day of hunting thought I'd give the Stripers a run today. They have slowed down with all the rain and cooler water and we only boated 54 for the boat today.
But we did notice they on average were larger fish.
Big fish today went to me with 23 pounds.
And I put one 17 in the boat also. 3638
All in all a great day.
Guess it's back to deer hunting tomorrow. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thumper
09-14-2014, 06:16 PM
Just think, if that little stump you call an arm was a bit longer ... that fish could'a gone 25 pounds! :D

Man, you get a few bales of hay cuttin' under your belt and you start acting like you're retired or sumpin'. I think you need to quit goofing off and get back to work! ;)

Arty
09-14-2014, 06:20 PM
I can't imagine how that would be any fun at all :)

jb
09-14-2014, 06:21 PM
Do you eat those, or is it just catch and release?

Captain
09-14-2014, 06:30 PM
Do you eat those, or is it just catch and release?

People do eat them and they say they are good. We could keep some but we don't. We just fishing for fun.

Arty
09-14-2014, 07:23 PM
He's throwing back some of the best fish on the planet!

Buckrub
09-14-2014, 07:31 PM
I won't keep or eat a striper, white, or hybrid. Ugh. But fun to catch!!!

quercus alba
09-14-2014, 07:36 PM
I'll eat just about anything that swims including gar and grinnel, but I draw the line at shad

maybe.

Arty
09-14-2014, 07:38 PM
Down my way... On lake gaston and buggs island lake...

You'll pay 13.99 for a 6 oz piece of that same fish, beer battered and fried.

Buckrub
09-14-2014, 07:48 PM
Glad I live in a civilized area. Sorry that you don't. You should think of moving. (We also have iPhone service here, I hear).

Captain
09-14-2014, 08:44 PM
Note to Posthole.
This is how simple it's is...
Catch a fish,
Make a picture
And post the picture.
Another picture of my big fish today....

Thumper
09-14-2014, 09:01 PM
The technology involved is over P-hole's head I believe. I can't think of any other reason. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
09-14-2014, 09:09 PM
Bite me.

I have had striper and hybrids and sand bass that were actually quite good. The trick with those fish is to get them on ice immediately after you catch them and to get them in the pan the same day. If you freeze them or they die inthe livewell, and they don't do well in a livewell they are fishy as hell.
I don't mess with 'em. I do like Captain and Bucky and just let 'em bend a rod and toss 'em back. They are some kind of fighters. I'd love to catch some as big as those.

BKB

Captain
09-14-2014, 09:19 PM
Posthole the guy I fish for Stripers with tells me there is a "red" meaty streak in the fish you have to get out while cleaning it. The white meat according to him is great as long as you get that part out. IDK? Never tried one. I just like to catch em and chunk em back.
On a side note to that, every time I release one I cut a notch on the bottom of the tail and my buddy cuts a notch on the top of the tail. You would be surprised how many fish we catch back in the same year. And many times we catch a fish back that we BOTH have marked....
Sorta a fun thing to go. I yell at him if gets one with my mark and tell him he's not suppose to catch "my" fish...

Buckrub
09-14-2014, 09:23 PM
He is correct. The lateral line is red, and MUST be removed......it tastes terribly fishy. But even if I remove it, the remaining white meat is larger texture than panfish, and just doesn't taste good. It's not awful, I'd eat it and not puke, for sure!!! But I don't bother keeping the few I catch to eat..........and no one I know does either. If I want to eat, I go crappie fishing.

BarryBobPosthole
09-14-2014, 10:06 PM
Oh yeah, that red line tastes like the oil in a tuna can. Not good.

Different strokes for different folks. I like bass. Some folks turn their nose up at that. I like catfish, if its fiddler channels or flathead. LOTS of folks turn their nose up at that.

All this fish talk makes me think I need a fish fry and soon.

BKB

HideHunter
09-15-2014, 09:27 AM
A lot of fish benefit from removal of the lateral line tissue. I pretty much "trim the red out" of any fish that shows it. I do it on larger catfish.

BarryBobPosthole
09-15-2014, 09:35 AM
And on the flip side (no pun intended) of that, my favorite cut on ANY fish is the little filet you can get off the rib bones. You have to know how to do it and you have to know what little bones to avoid there, but that little piece of fish is better than walleye cheeks and that's going a ways. Lots of folks just toss those rib cages.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
09-15-2014, 09:45 AM
To each his own. But, rockfish (or striped bass for you unwashed) is one of the best eating fish around. That is, of course, if you like your meal to taste like something more than the batter and oil used to cook it.

HideHunter
09-15-2014, 10:22 AM
And on the flip side (no pun intended) of that, my favorite cut on ANY fish is the little filet you can get off the rib bones. You have to know how to do it and you have to know what little bones to avoid there, but that little piece of fish is better than walleye cheeks and that's going a ways. Lots of folks just toss those rib cages.

BKB

ezplain pls .?. I filet down over the ribs - where is this "little piece of fish"?

BarryBobPosthole
09-15-2014, 10:28 AM
It depends on the fish of course, but most people I've seen don't filet down over the rib bones and just cut the loin off and toss the ribs. I do that as well but I pile the ribs up and when I'm done I shave that little filet of meat off the ribs. Like little tater chips.

BKB

HideHunter
09-15-2014, 11:18 AM
Ah.. 90% of the time I filet "over" the ribs. When I don't - I cut through the ribs - then remove them from the fillet. Either way - I get that "little piece of fish". One of the things I marvel at every year in Canada are the folks who really can't (usually don't know how) to filet a fish. Takes every bit of my will power not to offer my "services". Some people don't respond all that well to "help". ;) Always said - if I was a "camp boy" I'd spend all my spare time in the fish house. I'm betting tips would increase exponentially.

BarryBobPosthole
09-15-2014, 11:25 AM
Fileting fish the 'correct' way is an art that takes practice and a sharp filet knife. Sadly, you can count me in the electric knife crowd that goes for speed over art. I cut through the ribs and all, flop that filet over and skin it in a jiffy, cuts the ribs out and I'm done. I then pick up the filet knife and slice that little slab of heaven off the ribs.

The perfectionists usually have a much prettier filet and about .50 milligrams less 'wasted' meat, but by the time they're done I'm on my second beer and the oil is up to about 360.

BKB

HideHunter
09-15-2014, 11:52 AM
*Actually* ;) - unless we are talking a dozen fish - or more - I can often have them dressed and be having a drink before many can get the E knife out, put together, plugged in, fished dressed, knife cleaned up. When the whole E knife thing first surfaced I cleaned all my fish for one year with one. I really wanted to learn to do it well. I did. I got pretty good with it. Now, again - let me reiterate - I seldom clean more than 10 fish at a time. I have two fillet knives I use pretty much exclusively - a "long" one and a "longer" one. My E knife hasn't been out of the box probably 10 years. if I was going to start in on a five gallon bucket full - I'd go there.

Anecdote: Last year I walked into the fish house with 4 walleye (very possibly the easiest fish in the world to filet). Guy in there was getting ready to fire up the electric. Nice guy - gregarious. Saw me break out the fillet knife and started telling me how badly I needed an electric; how much easier and faster it was. Pretty quick he noticed he was on his fourth fish and I was done and scrubbing my cutting board down. His words, "On second thought, I don't think you need and electric knife". :D I did give a demonstration on removing Y-bones from *The Great Northern Pike* this year - but only by request. ;)

By the way - you do know you can remove those rib bones with the e knife? I usually do it before I take the hide off.

Sunshine
09-15-2014, 04:27 PM
I use my fillet knife, not electric.

Cut behind the gills on each side.
Then down each side of the back bone.
Cut down the ribs until I get the fillet off each side.
Then lay the fillet skin side down.
Poke hole in tail, to hold the skin, while I slide my knife between the skin and the meat, pulling the skin away from the meat.
Once skin is off, I will de-bone it.
Then ziplock the meat and keep it on ice till I get home and can vacum seal the meat for the freezer. :)

I can fillet two fish to my hubbies 1. Lol
No I don't hack the fillets! :p
Been cleaning fish since I was 10 yrs old.

BarryBobPosthole
09-15-2014, 04:29 PM
Those vacuum sealers are the bomb ain't they?
BKB

Sunshine
09-15-2014, 04:31 PM
Yep :D

Buckrub
09-15-2014, 09:08 PM
*Actually* ;) - unless we are talking a dozen fish - or more - I can often have them dressed and be having a drink before many can get the E knife out, put together, plugged in, fished dressed, knife cleaned up. When the whole E knife thing first surfaced I cleaned all my fish for one year with one. I really wanted to learn to do it well. I did. I got pretty good with it. Now, again - let me reiterate - I seldom clean more than 10 fish at a time. I have two fillet knives I use pretty much exclusively - a "long" one and a "longer" one. My E knife hasn't been out of the box probably 10 years. if I was going to start in on a five gallon bucket full - I'd go there.

Anecdote: Last year I walked into the fish house with 4 walleye (very possibly the easiest fish in the world to filet). Guy in there was getting ready to fire up the electric. Nice guy - gregarious. Saw me break out the fillet knife and started telling me how badly I needed an electric; how much easier and faster it was. Pretty quick he noticed he was on his fourth fish and I was done and scrubbing my cutting board down. His words, "On second thought, I don't think you need and electric knife". :D I did give a demonstration on removing Y-bones from *The Great Northern Pike* this year - but only by request. ;)

By the way - you do know you can remove those rib bones with the e knife? I usually do it before I take the hide off.

You're so full of b/s that your squinty little eyes are brown!!

I'll take your challenge, any day, any time, anywhere, just give me 110v............

Oh........and you must be a Yankee. How "fast" you do stuff is sort of, like, um, really really seriously unimportant to me! Ask my wife! :)

HideHunter
09-15-2014, 10:08 PM
lol.. Love it.. Okay .. It's six bluegill and that is to "pan ready". Loser buys the single malt. Hey - I said *I* was faster with an E knife too. Just not enough faster to deal with it. Actually, I think it was Posthole who brought up "speed". My history escapes me. Which side the Oklahomies fight for?

Since we're talking "speed". I'll throw this in on a completely different subject. I can skin, gut and cut a squirrel into 6 pieces in less than two minutes.

Oh .. and my eyes are baby blue.. Stunning really.. :D

Buckrub
09-16-2014, 09:41 AM
lol.. Love it.. Okay .. It's six bluegill and that is to "pan ready". Loser buys the single malt. Hey - I said *I* was faster with an E knife too. Just not enough faster to deal with it. Actually, I think it was Posthole who brought up "speed". My history escapes me. Which side the Oklahomies fight for?

Since we're talking "speed". I'll throw this in on a completely different subject. I can skin, gut and cut a squirrel into 6 pieces in less than two minutes.

Oh .. and my eyes are baby blue.. Stunning really.. :D

Well, I can't compete with that................

They fought on the side of the Indians.