PDA

View Full Version : Child spanking?

Sunshine
09-17-2014, 08:45 PM
???

HideHunter
09-17-2014, 08:49 PM
it's a tough one. If he actually broke the skin on a 4 year old... ehhhh

That said - I'm a believer in corporal punishment when needed.

Sunshine
09-17-2014, 08:51 PM
Breaking skin is not tolerated.
Leaving a swollen mark, is a visual reminder what you'll get if you do it again.

Breaking skin, where it bleeds is a beating.

Captain
09-17-2014, 08:56 PM
I had several beating growing up then.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

BarryBobPosthole
09-17-2014, 09:02 PM
I've been spanked with a switch since I was old enough to walk and its damn near impossible to get or give one without breaking the skin and they definitely leave a big welt. I didn't spank my kids with anything but my open hand but even though I don't believe those methods are effective (or right) parents need to discipline their kids the best way they know how. Ten to one, this is an ex that is making hay because she can. We have plenty bigger fish to fry.
BKB

LW
09-17-2014, 10:55 PM
Funny thing. Yesterday, my 15 year old son and I started wrestling on the couch. I slapped across the belly with a flip flop and he jumped on top of me and got not only the flip flop but the other flip flop and started beating me with them. This progressed to me grabbing a pvc pipe out of the kitchen closet and lighting him up which lead to him grabbing a golf club and hitting me with the handle. With that said, I would never hit him hard enough to break the skin or bruise him for discipline sake. But when we are just playing rough and laughing, its a riot. I love having a teenage boy. He is more fun than a sack full of puppies!

Big Muddy
09-18-2014, 01:00 AM
I had several beating growing up then.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Me, too, Cap!!!!.....my Dad's #1 favorite was a piece of water hose....after he wore out a few 50 foot hoses on my butt, he graduated to a 2 foot length of gin strap, nailed to the end of a piece of 2"x2" hickory for a handle....my Dad could sho'nuf tear up my little azz, and I deserved every single lash and stripe....I was a hard-headed, strong-willed young'un, and my attention span was about as long as a skeeter's peter.
If he hadn't administered that hard discipline to me, I'd prolly be, either in jail or dead, by now.

Back then, if there had been a toll-free young'un abuse hot line, I woulda been on a first-name basis with them. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
09-18-2014, 08:57 AM
There are a lot of people pointing to the pictures and (very self righteously in my opinion) saying that in this youngsters case it is child abuse. I can remember my first whipping from when I was about four. It was with my grandpa's razor strop and my grandpa about wore my ass out. It was for climbing up on the roof. He was up there doing something, I don't remember, but I do remember he'd told me to stay away from the ladder. Next thing you know I was right behind him asking 'Whatcha doing Grandpa?' and he about jumped off the roof. Razor strop, switch, paddle, shoe, broom handle, belt, the slat from under a bed I'd been jumping on, I've been beat with just about every handy thing that there is and almost all left bruises, welts, and yes sometimes cuts. I've also had my face slapped, my head thumped, and in one case got my jaw busted. My Dad sometimes hit me with his cane. And everybody that ever administered any of those, and there were many, loved me with all their heart. I'm sure some of you and most of everybody else on the damned internet will say I was abused but I don't believe it for a minute.
And like I said, I never hardly raised a finger to my kids except to swat a bottom with my hand once in a while and that was mainly when they were four, right about the time most boys need the most whippin's. but that doesn't mean I don't understand and support parents who do decide that physical punishment is sometimes right for their kid. I don't think it accomplishes shit, just look at me. All it did for me was make me into a master liar. But it sure as hell taught me right from wrong and whatever a parent decides to do to ensure their kid knows that is okay by me. We need to stay the hell out of their business.

BKB

Thumper
09-18-2014, 09:00 AM
Growing up in Florida, the uniform of the day was a pair of light shorts ... oh, and underwear if I remembered. ;)

That's it, no shirt ... no shoes even.

Mom did all the "physical" discipline in our household and we had a "switch bush" just outside the back door. Mom would always make us go pick our own switch. I tried kinda "cheating" a few times, but that didn't go over so well as I soon learned I'd rather pick a "decent" switch than to leave the selection up to mom!" If we were REALLY in BIG trouble, she'd tell us to go get dad's belt. I'm tellin' ya' ... ANY swats with a switch or leather belt HURTS on bare legs! But, I never failed to get the point and I don't really think I grew up as a mental/emotional wreck.

BTW .. I was EXTREMELY close to my dad, but he worked two jobs to support Mom and us 6 kids. That's why mom usually had to handle the regular "discipline". BUT ... when I heard the words, "I'm telling your father about this!" ... I would cower in fear the rest of the day. My father never once ... not EVER ONCE spanked me. Just his words alone did all the damage that was ever needed. Just to hear him say he was disappointed in me was enough to make me wish mom had given me 1,000,000 lashes with that belt and simply promised not to tell dad what I'd done.

It's hard to explain the love and respect I had for my dad ... but his harsh words were all the punishment I ever needed. That does NOT mean I didn't love and respect my mom, it was just different (in a way I cannot explain to this day). This "no spanking" b/s is just that IMHO .... b/s. I had a friend (more of a workmate than close friend really) who had a kid who learned to shout he was going to report his parents to the school Principle if they spanked him. WTF???

Buckrub
09-18-2014, 09:49 AM
Mom did all the "physical" discipline in our household and we had a "switch bush" just outside the back door. Mom would always make us go pick our own switch. I tried kinda "cheating" a few times, but that didn't go over so well as I soon learned I'd rather pick a "decent" switch than to leave the selection up to mom!" If we were REALLY in BIG trouble, she'd tell us to go get dad's belt. I'm tellin' ya' ... ANY swats with a switch or leather belt HURTS on bare legs! But, I never failed to get the point and I don't really think I grew up as a mental/emotional wreck.

I had to laugh, Jimbo.

For my recalcitrant middle child, I spent a lot of time with her and switches. But she was (and is) the creative, artistic one, and always thinking. I would make her go get her own switch. 100% of the time, she first came back with a limp old willow branch. Sort of like cooked linguine with leaves. No, dear, that one won't do. She started whining and whimpering and 'cussing' me, all the way back to the hedge to find a stiffer switch.

The process of going and getting one that she knew would pass my muster was more than enough punishment. She absolutely decided at that point that she didn't want to EVER do whatever it was, again. Of course, when I got the switch I'd simply swat her with it a couple of times, sternly telling her to never do X again!!! I never had to actually whip her like I got whipped as a kid. When I was 15, my Mama tried to whip me and I laughed. She took a broom and whaled me with it mercilessly. When I didn't cry, she hit harder yelling "I'll teach you not to cry when I spank you". She adamantly states that she never did such a thing.

My other two were on opposite ends. The first one, all I had to do was take off my belt and double it, and snap it loudly. At that point she wailed like she'd been run over by a pea thrasher. That was all I ever, EVER had to do to her.

The boy? If there were pictures of that, I'd be in prison today.

Oh.........all three methods worked.

Chicken Dinner
09-18-2014, 09:58 AM
I got the belt, the fly swatter, the switch and the wooden spoon plenty (and deserved every on of them) up until I was about 8 or 9. That's when they figured out "punishing me" was a lot better deterrent. Oh how, I missed the spankings after that. (I once even laughed one off from my Mom and told her she hadn't really hurt me for years. That's when I found out she'd been holding back.) My older boy has never needed a spanking. My younger one required a few. They're just different kids. I guess I say all that to show that I'm not anti-corporal punishment.

However, I couldn't disagree with some of you guys on this thread more. Whipping (allegedly) a four year old child on the "arms, legs and genitals" until the point of drawing blood is not okay. Not ever. All it shows is that the person giving the beating has lost self control and that's not the time to be "teaching" anybody anything. Just because it happened to you and you didn't turn out to be a psychopath doesn't make it right.

BarryBobPosthole
09-18-2014, 10:02 AM
People do many things that we don't consider 'right'. MY parents did suff that I didn't (and still don't) think is 'right'. that's a hell of a long way from calling the law on the and saying just because you don't think its right means it should be illegal.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
09-18-2014, 10:11 AM
You'd better hope you're happily married then because in this day and age your ex-wife or baby-mama is almost guaranteed to call the law. If they do, at best you're going to be seeing a whole lot less of your kids.

BarryBobPosthole
09-18-2014, 10:16 AM
We worry over the government becoming a 'nanny state' and then we let the government, aka the law, dictate to us how we raise and punish our children. I'm sorry, but am I the only one that is bothered by this?

BKB

Buckrub
09-18-2014, 10:19 AM
No sir.

Buckrub
09-18-2014, 10:21 AM
BUT, if you truly abuse a child, I'll kill you and pay whatever penalty there is.

If you don't know the difference in abuse and punishment, you NEED killed anyway.

Chicken Dinner
09-18-2014, 10:22 AM
It's hard to disagree with that. However, there is a point where a spanking becomes a beating which becomes an assault. We can talk all day about where that line is, but you don't get to assault a child just because you're their parent.

Buckrub
09-18-2014, 10:26 AM
of course not

LJ3
09-18-2014, 10:32 AM
Hank for the win. AP is an asshole. Corporal punishment is fine if that's what you want to do. It's not an effective deterrent in my opinion. The law or NFL should have no role in a parent disciplining their child unless it's physically abusive.

The bigger travesty here is that AP is my starting back in two fantasy leagues. I lost last week because of the paternal decisions he made. For that to happen, our society is connected/disconnected in some very messed up ways.

BarryBobPosthole
09-18-2014, 10:33 AM
It's hard to disagree with that. However, there is a point where a spanking becomes a beating which becomes an assault. We can talk all day about where that line is, but you don't get to assault a child just because you're their parent.

And that's my point. Nobody is going to disagree with "you don't get to assault a child just because you're their parent". That is the same response I see over and over in discussions of this deal. What is at issue here is whether taking a switch to a four year old is assault or punishment. I think the area is too grey for the law to make that determination. Or in other words I DON'T WANT the law making that determination.

BKB

LJ3
09-18-2014, 10:38 AM
Living an adult life when you are abused as a child is a fucked up situation I wouldn't wish on anyone. What happened to that 4 year old kid should not have happened. BUT... I agree that the woman is trying to cash in and the law should not be involved.

Too bad the "village to raise a child" isn't real. The village could whip APs ass with some much bigger sticks.

BarryBobPosthole
09-18-2014, 01:20 PM
http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2014/09/17/ac-dnt-tuchman-georgia-family-child-punishment.cnn&hpt=hp_t2&from_homepage=yes&video_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F%3Frefre sh%3D1

Thumper
09-18-2014, 02:07 PM
Is that a nekkid link?

(Granny's a real beauty ain't she?) ;)

BarryBobPosthole
09-18-2014, 02:12 PM
I think there might be a five oclock shadow there.

BKB

Thumper
09-18-2014, 02:35 PM
1. My mother taught me TO APPRECIATE A JOB WELL DONE .
"If you're going to kill each other, do it outside. I just finished cleaning."

2. My mother taught me RELIGION.
"You better pray that will come out of the carpet."

3. My father taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!"

4. My father taught me LOGIC.
"Because I said so, that's why."

5. My mother taught me MORE LOGIC....
"If you fall out of that swing and break your neck, you're not going to the store with me."

6. My mother taught me FORESIGHT.
"Make sure you wear clean underwear, in case you're in an accident."

7. My father taught me IRONY.
"Keep crying, and I'll give you something to cry about."

8. My mother taught me about the science of OSMOSIS .
"Shut your mouth and eat your supper."

9. My mother taught me about CONTORTIONISM.
"Just you look at that dirt on the back of your neck?"

10. My mother taught me about STAMINA.
"You'll sit there until all that spinach is gone."

11. My mother taught me about WEATHER.
"This room of yours looks as if a tornado went through it."

12. My mother taught me about HYPOCRISY.
"If I told you once, I've told you a million times. Don't exaggerate!"

13. My mother taught me the CIRCLE OF LIFE.
"I brought you into this world, and I can take you out..."

14. My mother taught me about BEHAVIOR MODIFICATION .
"Stop acting like your father!"

15. My mother taught me about ENVY.
"There are millions of less fortunate children in this world who don't have wonderful parents like you do."

16. My mother taught me about ANTICIPATION.
"Just wait until we get home."

17. My mother taught me about RECEIVING.
"You are going to get it from your father when he gets home!"

18. My mother taught me MEDICAL SCIENCE.
"If you don't stop crossing your eyes, they are going to get stuck that way."

19. My mother taught me ESP.
"Put your sweater on; don't you think I know when you are cold?"

20. My father taught me HUMOR.
"When that lawn mower cuts off your toes, don't come running to me."

21. My mother taught me HOW TO BECOME AN ADULT .
"If you don't eat your vegetables, you'll never grow up."

22. My mother taught me GENETICS.
"You're just like your father."

23. My mother taught me about my ROOTS.
"Shut that door behind you. Do you think you were born in a barn?"

24. My mother taught me WISDOM.
"When you get to be my age, you'll understand.

25. My father taught me about JUSTICE .
"One day you'll have kids, and I hope they turn out just like you!"

Sunshine
09-18-2014, 04:03 PM
I bet her kids won't be growing into thieves and robbers.

Hope she doesn't get any repocussion over this.

LJ3
09-18-2014, 08:21 PM
Sunshine for the win :) (drops the mike and walks away)