PDA

View Full Version : IOS 8.0.......

Niner
09-18-2014, 02:52 PM
Any of y'all downloaded & installed it yet?

BarryBobPosthole
09-18-2014, 03:02 PM
My old IPAD isn't upgradeable any longer. I think I'm stuck on 5.1 or something thereabouts. The dang product has outlived their support for it. which is kind of a good and bad thing at the same time.

BKB

LJ3
09-18-2014, 03:05 PM
Did it yesterday. Seems pretty cool so far. PLan on an hour to do the install from start to finish

Thumper
09-18-2014, 03:07 PM
Nope. I have an iPhone 4 and have read the new OS is just too much for it and will make it as slow as molasses. Besides, I've already traded it for a new iPhone 6 Plus which was really made for it. Verizon let me keep my old phone until the 6 comes in. I'll be REALLY glad to get the bigger screen. Emailing with my fat fingers is a bitch with my old 4. They gave me $200 for my old phone, so they can have it!

Buckrub
09-18-2014, 05:16 PM
No.

I'm running 4.4.2, which is "ice cream sandwich" or something.

:moon

Thumper
09-18-2014, 06:08 PM
No.

I'm running 4.4.2, which is "ice cream sandwich" or something.

:moon

I thought 442 was an Oldsmobile. (?) ;)

johnboy
09-18-2014, 06:36 PM
4 speed, 330 ci, 4 bbl, dual exhaust originally then 400ci in '65. Gotta love them!

Thumper
09-18-2014, 07:02 PM
Yeppers Johnboy ... you know your 442's! Yeah, the '64 model was 4-speed (on-the-floor), 4bbl and (dual) 2 exhausts.

When the GTO came out, Olds countered with the '65 model with 4-speed (on-the-floor), 400 cid and dual 2 exhausts.

Did you know they had a three 2bbl option in '66? It kicked ass ... but I was a GTO guy back then which out-sold the 442 by about a bazillion to one.

Ahhhh, the good ol' days.

Captain
09-18-2014, 08:08 PM
Nope been in SC since Monday and it's slow as snails tails down there. Home tonight. Might download it while I'm on wifi.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Sunshine
09-18-2014, 08:31 PM
I have a iPhone 4 and it has 7.1.2 loaded.
Just checked and there's no software update, so I'm good. :)

Oh and hubby has his very first car, and he bought it brand new, sitting on our property.

It's an old 76 cutlass with the 442 on the side.

Has a 350 double barrel in it.

Is that terrible lime green color with white racing stripes.
Interior is horrible and his dream is to restore it, once he retires.

I'd drive it to a junk yard, but that dang piece of yuk means something to him.

Only thing wrong with the engine, is a rear oil seal leak.
A drunk sideswiped his driver door and insurance wanted to total it out.
We said no, because he doesn't want a TOTAL title on it. So that has to be fixed too.

If I could afford having someone redo the dang thing, I'd do it to surprise him.

Captain
09-18-2014, 10:17 PM
"Has a 350 double barrel in it. "
He has a Shotgun in it?
I THINK you meant a 4 barrel :D

Thumper
09-18-2014, 10:39 PM
Ha ha ha! It had a double-barrel??? I think the only option back then was a side X side! :D

Sunshine
09-18-2014, 11:07 PM
No I meant double barrel. That's what he told me. Now maybe he's mistaken.
And I know what a double barrel shot gun is. :) I've only shot a single barrel pump Winchester shot gun.
Could hit 16 out of 20-21 birds on trap line, back in my younger days.

Thumper
09-18-2014, 11:28 PM
Not sure what he would have meant by "double barrel" unless he meant 2-barrel ... prob. is, the (real) 442 was never offered with a 2bbl ... otherwise it'd have been a 422! ;)

I'd have to think he said ... or "should" have said, 4-barrel (4 bbl).

BUT ... the "real" 442 never had a 350 either (unless he meant 350 HP) until 1975 .... but they were just a dang de-tuned, no lead gas Cutlass with 442 badges stuck on 'em by that time. Not the 442 of the "muscle car era". Heck, they didn't even have dual exhausts by that time ... just two outlets. NOT what I'd call a 442. They even had a dang 442 6-cyl. that year which may have (probably had) a 2-bbl. I didn't pay a bit of attention to them in the later years because they were nothing more than grocery-getters with 442 badges stuck on 'em. Heck, they even had automatics in 'em by that time.

Oh yeah, if you've shot a single barrel shotgun .... it shouldn't be too hard to figure out what a "double barrel" shotgun would be. ;)

Captain
09-19-2014, 05:08 AM
The only thing I can think of is maybe twin deuce carbs? But that would not have been factory...

<CALayer: 0x164b8640>

Thumper
09-19-2014, 06:59 AM
Cappy, they came with a three deuce option in '66 .. ala GTO .... but I think very few of those 442 options existed on the street. A twin 2bbl set-up would be a REALLY rare beast on a V-8.

Captain
09-19-2014, 08:12 AM
Cappy, they came with a three deuce option in '66 .. ala GTO .... but I think very few of those 442 options existed on the street. A twin 2bbl set-up would be a REALLY rare beast on a V-8.
I know about the three deuces, called a 6 pack.
I was just taking a guess what could be referred to as a double barrel?

Buckrub
09-19-2014, 08:40 AM
Had a brand new 1973 Cutlass Supreme, brown two tone, half Landau roof, color keyed mag wheels, 350 4 barrel, auto on the floor (leather wrapped stick).......sharp. Paid $4,400 for it brand new at Balch Oldsmobile in Little Rock. Got a whopping 8 mpg. Gas Embargo hit, and I traded it for.........drum roll...........a Pinto Station Wagon. Needless to say, I didn't have that one long.

BarryBobPosthole
09-19-2014, 08:48 AM
I used to date a girl that drove a Ford Maverick. There were some railroad tracks over near the house I lived in at the time that had ramps up and over the tracks and of course down the other side. We used to do Dukes of Hazzard jumps over those tracks in that Maverick. and this was several years before that show even came out.

BKB

Thumper
09-19-2014, 02:38 PM
We had a set of those tracks in a suburb of Memphis (Bartlett, TN) and we did the same thing. I think I made the record jump in a brand new '70 Chevelle ... only reason I took the jump so fast is 'cause it was a company car. :D

My sister married the guy she dated in h/s ... he drove a frigging Maverick! I told her that should have been the first sign that it would never work out. It didn't! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
09-19-2014, 03:00 PM
Its hard to do the deed in a Maverick. Even Mustangs are easier than a Maverick. Whoever designed them was andr...androg.....er.....nutless.

BKB

Thumper
09-19-2014, 03:07 PM
My worst was the BACK seat of my buddy's VW bug! It was about 2 1/2' wide I think. But, where there's a will, there's a way! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
09-19-2014, 03:09 PM
Sometimes, Jim, you just have to have the good sense to drive somewhere where they have a picnic table.

BKB

Thumper
09-19-2014, 04:11 PM
Ha! The old picnic table thing! Reminds me of a "Thump story", but I'm havin' too much fun researching my estate sale treasures to tell it right now. FUNNY story! ;)

LJ3
09-20-2014, 11:58 AM
The voice recognition in IOS 8 is pretty damn impressive. I can send texts while driving and never touch the phone, and never take my eyes off the road. It's pretty cool.

I swear I don't know how there aren't more pile ups every day on the highways around here.

Literally, in the true meaning of the word, literally over HALF of Nova drivers are texting or dicking around with their phones on my commutes to and from work.

Buckrub
09-20-2014, 12:18 PM
Don't start me. EVERY 'single' female behind the wheel is doing it nonstop, and most of the men. Two women in a car?? Probably not texting. They just need someone to talk to incessantly.

100% of them, when confronted, will say, without fail or chance of being incorrect about this, "I know it causes problems in others. But I'm different. I can do it well. I don't have problems doing it". Which translates to, in real English, "I haven't wrecked yet. I have no clue how many wrecks I've caused, no one has texted me about them, so they probably didn't happen".

Cars, and now shopping carts! It's an addiction, plain and simple. Folks leave church and reach for their pockets and start thumbing away. Self-centered, ego-driven, full of themselves, way-too-important, SELFISH people.

I'd give much of my kingdom for an effective, decent-range, Cell Phone Jammer.

HANG UP AND DRIVE. THE LIFE YOU SAVE MAY BE MY OWN.

BarryBobPosthole
09-20-2014, 12:31 PM
You guys have no faith in Darwin at all do you?

On our way back from St Louis when we got off of I 44 and onto Oklahoma 20 for our final leg home we got behind a Willie Weaver between Claremore and Owasso. This guy was literally all over the road and I was just waiting for him to overcorrect and go in the ditch. We even breifly discussed calling him in to 911 because of the menace he was on the highway. I finally got an open spot and left him in my dust but when we passed him, he wasn't drunk at all, he was texting on his goddamned phone.

I don't know why any of you feel the need for these things. I have one for work but I barely use it even for work purposes. I just hate 'em. Come to think of it, I hate my landline too. No good news ever comes over any of my phones. What do I need 'em for?

At the ball game in St Louis, I was soaking in the beautiful green ball field, looking at beautiful downtown St Louis and admiring the arch. MEanwhile all around me, people were busily pecking away on their phones and taking selfies.

Fuck 'em all.

BKB

LJ3
09-20-2014, 12:36 PM
I communicate with my family every day with my iphone. My college girl and I share our days with each other thru text, pictures or both. It's awesome for that. I also happen to be a TV star with my iPhone. I also get critical notification for my job which is important to me.

Other than that, I couldn't care less about my phone. facebook and other social media crap can be fun but I can take it or leave it.

Buckrub
09-20-2014, 02:34 PM
I communicate with my family every day with my iphone. My college girl and I share our days with each other thru text, pictures or both. It's awesome for that. I also happen to be a TV star with my iPhone. I also get critical notification for my job which is important to me.

Other than that, I couldn't care less about my phone. facebook and other social media crap can be fun but I can take it or leave it.

Len, that's wonderful. Just do NOT do that and drive. In fact, don't do it in public.

Posty, sometimes I just slap my head. Why are you SO crazily wrong on SO many issues, and SO right on others???? How can such a well-read, intelligent person, capable of the above genius, also have such nutty politics??? Geez. :)

I don't even carry my phone much anymore. I don't have one single soul to talk to that my life depends on not being able to wait. My fishing buddy's phone goes off nonstop. DING DING DING. He says "It's just news and junk that I subscribe to". Well DUH!!! UNSUBSCRIBE, DUDE! I do NOT want to hear YOUR phone, nada, not a sound, no dings, no talking, no ringing, nothing. Shut the dang thing up.

And giving me some stupid label won't make me stop having this very critical, very defensible, very logical, very intelligent belief, so don't even go there. And NO, YOU are not different, sorry.

BarryBobPosthole
09-20-2014, 03:40 PM
Is it just somehow possible that in reality, politics is just about on the level of importance as the weather? I mean, think about it. Nine days out of ten, the weather doesn't have a whole helluva a lot of impact on our daily lives. Even for those who make their living outdoors, most days if the weather don't cooperate, there's plenty of other stuff to do in the barn or corral. When we have storms, like when our political leaders decide to do something and just screw it up worse, we have to temporarily become close watchers and take the right action, like vote. Or sit on the couch and watch a western. But for the most part, its prolly a hell of a lot less important than we act like if you really think about it. We talk about it a lot because, like the weather, it fills in the gaps in the conversation.

BKB

Thumper
09-20-2014, 04:43 PM
GAWD! Some of you crusty old curmudgeons sound like my 83 year old mother!

"If you run with those scissors, you're gonna put an eye out!" :D

Buckrub
09-21-2014, 10:36 AM
She wasn't talking to me. I can run just fine with scissors.

Buckrub
09-21-2014, 10:39 AM
Is it just somehow possible that in reality, politics is just about on the level of importance as the weather? I mean, think about it. Nine days out of ten, the weather doesn't have a whole helluva a lot of impact on our daily lives. Even for those who make their living outdoors, most days if the weather don't cooperate, there's plenty of other stuff to do in the barn or corral. When we have storms, like when our political leaders decide to do something and just screw it up worse, we have to temporarily become close watchers and take the right action, like vote. Or sit on the couch and watch a western. But for the most part, its prolly a hell of a lot less important than we act like if you really think about it. We talk about it a lot because, like the weather, it fills in the gaps in the conversation.

BKB

Well, a lot of times that's true. But the problem is, a lot of times it also is NOT true. It's also not always true about the weather.

I do get your point. But you might notice, being the noticer that you are, that I no longer get all worked up about EVERY issue of politics. I still believe what I believe, that government (not politics) is the bad guy, the culprit, the reason for complaints. I always will. But I don't dwell on it.

I never watch the news on TV. I have not read more than 100 words from the front page of the paper in 25 years. I do read legitimate online sources, on occasion, but not every day.

But when I run across something that is interesting, or someone who put out a thought VERY well, I might bring that up.

At our table of ROMEO's at Lunch on Tuesday, I'm the single one that has ZERO interest in the political discussions. They think I'm worthless because I don't care who wins most races. The only state race I care about is Senator, and only that because if a (D) wins, it'll be easier for Hillary to stack the Supreme Court, which IS a political issue worthy of worry.

It's way more interesting to watch all the guys with Toyota and iDust in their eyes talking about silly stuff!! :)

BarryBobPosthole
09-21-2014, 12:19 PM
Pardon me for being skeptical.(about the silence part)......but I totally agree. My fervor has been dampened a lot. Its kind of like what it must be like to be a Big Ten football fan. You know what you want, nobody's got it, so its hardly worth paying much attention.

Besides, a pennant race and college football on the same day is all I'm paying attention to.

And on the weather, Birddog and I had plans to fish today but when we touched base early this morning it was sprinkling. I called it off and got a BIG ration of shit from him for it. Its been raining like pouring piss out of a boot ever since, so I have to claim superior weather wisdom me being the older weather sage.

BKB

Buckrub
09-21-2014, 01:50 PM
Well, I fished Friday. 3 of us caught 28. Not Eddie's standards, but we had fun. Politics was brought up (by the OTHER two) once. Mostly we talked about our cute waitresses at the ROMEO club meetings......and laughing when one of the other two missed a fish.

Captain
09-21-2014, 07:37 PM
Well I fished today on a Carolina Blue day! And we had an off day and only boated 35 or 36. We knew it is about over for the year, but they are just so much fun to fish for it hard not to go and chase them till the end...
Guess it's time to start hooking up on some big Bull-Reds! ;) 3671