PDA

View Full Version : Gots a few sales in the morning ...

Thumper
09-18-2014, 11:04 PM
I don't usually see most of the stuff I look for in the pics posted on-line, but I've spotted a few items I'll be grabbing as soon as I can get to them in the morning. Looks like I may score some more cast iron (I've had real good luck selling the stuff). I can't tell from the pics what this stuff is, but hopefully it's the good stuff and not some Taiwanese crap.

Looks like a dutch oven with lid here. This will be the second sale I'll hit, so don't know if it'll still be there or not.

http://eso.tlstatic.com/image/w800-h600/453981/c3aaf466cc055e83c1291a02c5297e12.jpg

And this is the sale I'll be at when they open the doors. I THINK that's another dutch oven on the counter top to the right. I'm not sure if that's a skillet handle or sumpin' else lyin' on the stove ... but it has a lid, so I'll be grabbing it to check it out.

http://pictures.estatesales.net/728604/15960098/1.jpg

And in the garage ... I'll be grabbin' that ol' Coke clock off the wall (top right of pic). If it works, it can bring $150-$175!

http://pictures.estatesales.net/728604/15960110/1.jpg

Gots ta' hit the sack ... gonna get an early start tomorrow!

Sunshine
09-18-2014, 11:19 PM
If you ever come across this pattern, please contact me.
I'm especially looking for the devil egg platter with the gold rim on it.

Thumper
09-18-2014, 11:48 PM
Dang Sunny ... I see those all the time ... seriously. Lynn's also looking for a deviled egg platter ... but not in that pattern. One sale had five of 'em last weekend, but she didn't really like any of them other than one that had a place for a salt & pepper shaker in the center ... but we never could locate them. (they were supposed to be an egg and a chicken)

Who makes that plate Sunny? Is it Anchor Hocking/Fire King? (I believe the pattern is called "White Swirl") I see 'em all the time but never paid much attention to 'em. They're fairly common ... seriously. I'm not totally, 100% positive about the scalloped edges though, so I may be wrong.

I buy a LOT of the older (vintage) Pyrex bowls and some older Fire King stuff. In fact I prolly have a dozen colored Pyrex mixing bowls here now waiting to be listed on eBay.

Sunshine
09-18-2014, 11:55 PM
Anchor Hocking. They don't make this one anymore. I need to add to my set as this family increased three more kids this year and I saw that egg platter, in a second hand store about a year ago!! Still kicking myself for not getting it.

Thumper
09-19-2014, 12:00 AM
Yep, that's it! (I'm getting to know my dinnerware, but have a long way to go) One of those deviled egg plates was at the sale last weekend ... but it wasn't what Lynn wanted. Dang, if I'd known you needed it, I could have picked it up for a buck! :(

Thumper
09-19-2014, 12:06 AM
Here's what you're looking for:

http://image0-rubylane.s3.amazonaws.com/shops/hoosiercollectibles/13113.2L.jpg?64

They're prolly available on eBay. Search for Anchor Hocking Milk Glass egg plate or White Swirl Deviled Egg Platter ... sumpin' like that and I'd bet you'll find what you're looking for.

Edit: Yep, just looked and there are a bazillion of 'em listed. The first one I saw was listed at a starting bid of $3.99 and so far, nobody has bid on it.

Thumper
09-19-2014, 12:12 AM
BTW and just FYI ... Fire King is made my Anchor Hocking. So, they may have the same patterns in much of their stuff. Of course, there's no reason for an oven-proof deviled egg platter, so it would be the Anchor Hocking brand most likely. Their Fire King line is similar to Pyrex as it's oven-proof.

Gonna hit the sack now ... gots ta' get an early start in the morning. I'll text ya' if I find anything, but with West Coast time, you'll prolly still be snoring. ;)

Sunshine
09-19-2014, 12:18 AM
Ok I don't have an eBay account, but I'll go look. Looking for the relish tray too with the gold trim.
If you happen across a set, just get ahold of me.
Wake me up if you have too. :D

Sunshine
09-19-2014, 01:29 AM
I'm also look for 6 more of these glasses.

Captain
09-19-2014, 05:17 AM
And find my ashtray:D

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thumper
09-19-2014, 07:01 AM
Sheeeesh! I'm on my way! ;)

Captain
09-19-2014, 08:13 AM
Well what the hell are you doing sleeping late?

Big Skyz
09-19-2014, 10:11 AM
I don't know what everyone else on here thinks, but I really enjoy seeing what you come up with or what you are planning on picking up. To be honest I'm a little envious and it looks like a lot of fun. With all the blue-hairs you have living in Florida I imagine it's an endless resource of stuff you can find.

HideHunter
09-19-2014, 10:58 AM
I agree.. interesting stuff. As I've said before, wouldn't work here. "Yard Sales" are so competitive a man could lose a limb. We have a burgeoning Mexican population who make a science of cleaning up anything of value. Organizers often let people in at say 7:00 but won't allow anything picked up or purchased before 8:00. Three families show up with 6 kids apiece and put one in front of anything they are wanting. Bell rings - and bingo. Our other "sales" are auctions where most anything of value brings at least retail and often over. Man with a good eye might pick up some of those (what did you call them) "smalls"?

Thumper
09-19-2014, 03:14 PM
Today's sale was incredible! The people have lived in the house since 1926 and I don't think they EVER threw anything away. He ran a camera shop here in town for a bazillion years and passed away in 2001. His wife lived there until she passed away just recently, but again, she never threw anything away and they were both prolific collectors ... of EVERYTHING! Not much trash and junk, just lots of cool old stuff. I had 6 sales marked on my GPS for today and this was my first stop. I just got home and it was the ONLY sale I attended. I finally had to come home only because my back gave out and I just couldn't go any more. I'll be back there first thing in the morning. I can't even begin to tell you what kind of stuff was there ... you name it, it was SOMEWHERE in that house! I had a blast and can't wait until tomorrow. I'll get a good night's sleep and pump myself full of Tylenol in the morning, then jump back in with both feet!

BarryBobPosthole
09-19-2014, 03:21 PM
Can I put in my order since everyone else has? I want one of these. Doesn't have to be this exact one but you get the idea. A Ronco type french fry cutter dealio.

BKB

Thumper
09-19-2014, 03:21 PM
Picked up a BITCHIN' Griswold today. Got's ta' clean it up a bit, but it has the hammered finish with the HINGED lid!! Man-o-man, I picked up a ton of Griswold stuff ... well, heck, I picked up a frigging truck load of stuff! Can you tell I'm a little excited today. I felt like a kid in a candy store over there.

https://img0.etsystatic.com/000/0/5840020/il_570xN.198187490.jpg https://img0.etsystatic.com/000/0/5840020/il_570xN.198187590.jpg

Thumper
09-19-2014, 03:23 PM
I'll keep an eye out for one P-hole. If I stumble upon one, are you gonna answer your phone? Ha!! ;)

Captain
09-19-2014, 03:35 PM
If I stumble upon one, are you gonna answer your phone? Ha!! ;)

Like THAT will ever happen!
Are you smoked up Thumper?

BarryBobPosthole
09-19-2014, 03:36 PM
Holy crap. That is a beautiful piece of cast iron there Thump. Let me know if there's a 'buy it now' price or if you want to just see what you get on EBAY. Man that ought to bring a pretty penny.
Hey is that a chicken fryer sized pan?
BKB

Thumper
09-19-2014, 03:41 PM
It's a 10" (11" at the spouts) pan and about 2 1/4" deep. On eBay, they're bringing $150-$175 right now with shipping.

I also picked up a Griswold cornbread (stick) pan and a Griswold French Roll pan.

Also picked up an old iron (pat. May 28, 1895) with a trivet. It's pretty cool and has a removable handle. I assume you'd have a couple of the flat iron pieces and just switch 'em out on the stove when one would cool down, then switch it for a hot one. Pretty neat.

3652 3653 3654

Bwana
09-19-2014, 05:54 PM
I'm with BS on this, I would LOVE to spend some time with Thump doing this sort of thing but up here in ND it is very similar to what Hidehunter described but without the Mexican situation but with the oil boom that too is changing.

Keep on sharing Thump!

HideHunter
09-19-2014, 08:00 PM
"You ever seen anything like that before?" "Hell, I ain't never even *heard* of anything like that before". :D That hinged-lid chicken fryer is freaking COOL! Strike while the iron's hot (see what I did there? ;) ) As we've said before - cast iron is crazy right now. Congrats.

Thumper
09-19-2014, 08:46 PM
It is hot Hidey-Ho ... I got $135.00 for that old chrome Griswold I posted a while back ... and most of the chrome was worn off the inside. Heck, I picked up one'o these today and this one just sold for around $100 ($85+shipping).

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDQ5WDgwMA==/z/sK4AAOxydINSZW58/$T2eC16NHJIYFHNcHped7BSZW58,3kQ~~60_57.JPG

I also picked up one'o these today. This one just sold for around $115 ($100+shipping).

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/h0YAAOxy4fVTAVba/$_57.JPG

That's just the tip of the iceberg ... I had a good day and will be jumping back into it first thing in the morning. :D

BarryBobPosthole
09-19-2014, 08:56 PM
You reloading or cooking?

BKB

Thumper
09-19-2014, 08:59 PM
You reloading or cooking?BKB

Who? Me? Ya' lost me. Did sumpin' go over my head?

Sunshine
09-19-2014, 09:50 PM
Lol I got it and I'm the blonde one!!! Lol lol :D