PDA

View Full Version : Brisket Heaven

BarryBobPosthole
09-22-2014, 10:39 AM
I smoked a brisket yesterday that is likely the best one I've ever tasted. and yeah, that's braggin'. Rubbed that bad boy with yellow mustard, covered it with John's Dry Rub (from a little town they do rattlesnake hunts in called Okema, Oklahoma, also where Woody Guthrie is from), smoked it over pecan for three hours, then it spent three hours in the oven at 225.

Man is it good. I'm gonna have some larrupin' leftovers this week for lunch.

BKB

Captain
09-22-2014, 11:54 AM
Well I smoked some Stripers yesterday in the Ribber.... :)

Big Skyz
09-22-2014, 12:13 PM
BBP adopt me PLEASE!!!

LJ3
09-22-2014, 12:19 PM
BBP, Do you cover or wrap the brisket at any point in your process?

BarryBobPosthole
09-22-2014, 12:38 PM
When it goes into the oven I put it into a casserole dish and seal it as tightly as I can with tinfoil over the top just to try to keep as much moisture as I can from escaping. I have to pass the refrigerator to get to the coffee pot and I've been swiping a slice out of there every time I go by it.

I actually think the mustard rub prior to the dry rub is what makes this way work so well.

BKB

LJ3
09-22-2014, 12:47 PM
Fine or coarse ground mustard?

BarryBobPosthole
09-22-2014, 12:49 PM
Regular old French's is what I use. I've not tried any other kind.

BKB

LJ3
09-22-2014, 12:54 PM
Ohhhhhhhh. You mean mustard mustard. I thought youse was using mustard powder since it's a popular dry rub ingredient.

BarryBobPosthole
09-22-2014, 12:59 PM
nope, just plain old mustard mustard. it works good to make the dry rub cling to the brisket but there's something in it too that makes the meat break down and makes it really tender. I've tried it on steaks and it does the same for them when you're grilling but a bit of mustard flavor remains. In a long smoke though on a brisket you get not a trace of mustard flavor. Seems like it makes the seasonings you put in the rub absorb more into the center of the meat too.

BKB

here's a link I found that prolly explains it better.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=12112.0

DeputyDog
09-22-2014, 01:20 PM
I've used dijon mustard along with bourbon on a whole pork loin that I've done it the past.

johnboy
09-22-2014, 01:45 PM
Looks and sounds tasty! I've used a mustard slather on a roasted leg of lamb that turned out pretty good.

Arty
09-22-2014, 06:10 PM
You talking bout a beef brisket?

Niner
09-22-2014, 06:50 PM
Sounds like ya gots some good roast beef there BBP. I'm gonna have to try a brisket one of these days.
I've used mustard on ribs for years. I didn't check your link yet....but I think what causes the mustard to work so well is the vinegar that is in it.

My MIL used to slather the hams she cooked with a combination of yeller mustard and grape jelly. Made for a KILLER glaze on those jokers.

BaseballCoach (Rev A)
09-22-2014, 06:58 PM
How big was the brisket and how hot do you run the smoker? Do you cook until it reaches a certain internal temp. Sorry for the questions, I do pork butts all the time but have never tried beef.

BarryBobPosthole
09-22-2014, 07:20 PM
Niner, Birddog is always telling me about using grape jelly on stuff but I keep forgetting to try it. Its on my list to do. I've been in an outdoor cooking frenzy with the weather getting fairer. Heck it's high 70's for us most of the week. Feels like heaven.

Coach, it was only about a three pound trimmed brisket. Heck and almost $18 bucks for that. ridiculous.
My Egg runs a bit hotter than I like for smoking and I cooked/smoked this for three hours at about 275. Like I said, I fired up some lump and tossed a big hunk of seasoned pecan on the fire and when it got going good I cranked the air down. 275 was as low as I could get that day. I do my smoking on a ceramic pizza stone that gives me a nice big surface and good indirect heat, since the cooking area on mine is round. Then I put a little grill with feet on that and the brisket goes on that grill so it gets air both under and over it.After three hours I checked it and the internal temp was at 180 degrees which to me is a pretty well done to medium temp for a brisket. Much above that and it starts drying out. If I could have got it down to 250 I probably could have gotten another hour or so of smoke on it. then I transferred it to a casserole dish, covered it tightly with foil, and stuck it in the oven at 225 for another three hours. When it came out, I rested it about ten minutes, sliced it and poured the drippings back over it.

Man, I gotta go get another slice of that out of the fridge.

BKB

Thumper
09-22-2014, 10:38 PM
Lynn makes some killer meatballs with grape jelly. I'm not much of a meatball eater, but I'm all over those when she makes 'em. She even adds some red chili to spice it up a bit. Whenever we go to a party or simple "get-together" ... that's what the host always requests she bring.

Also, I mentioned it here before, but I'm not sure youse dufes bought into it. If you ever try a peanut butter and grape jelly hamburger ... you'll most definitely make a point of doing it again! Trust me .. that right there is some GOOD stuff!

BarryBobPosthole
09-22-2014, 10:40 PM
That's like the chicken and waffles comination. i just don't get it.

BKB

Thumper
09-22-2014, 10:44 PM
Ya' ever hear the term, "Don't knock it 'til ya' try it?" ;)

Buckrub
09-22-2014, 10:53 PM
Confession.

I can't smoke a brisket. I ruin it.

Sigh.

Big Muddy
09-23-2014, 12:26 AM
A few years ago, two guys won the famous Memphis-In-May BBQ contest, for their pork ribs, using a grape jelly rub.

Thumper
09-23-2014, 07:31 AM
One of my favorite things to do at breakfast is to take my toast, add the PB&J, then slap on an over-easy egg with bacon and eat it like a sammich. Not persactly the same ... but sorta-kinda related.

Buckrub
09-23-2014, 09:18 AM
One thing this site has taught me...............humans will eat dang near anything. Many of them will like it. SOME of them will try and claim that others should, even when it's nasty.

Big Muddy
09-23-2014, 09:22 AM
Boilt peanuts RULE !!!!! ;)

LJ3
09-23-2014, 09:23 AM
One of my favorite things to do at breakfast is to take my toast, add the PB&J, then slap on an over-easy egg with bacon and eat it like a sammich. Not persactly the same ... but sorta-kinda related.

Jimmy, I think I may have a clue as to what's causing your chubbiness :)

Buckrub
09-23-2014, 09:46 AM
Len is closing fast at the Clubhouse Turn on being best Noticer.

BarryBobPosthole
09-23-2014, 09:52 AM
Well, he used the words Thumper and chubby in the last post. This will turn to sex in ten seconds or less.

BKB

Thumper
09-23-2014, 10:04 AM
I once knew a gal who loved to smear grape jelly on my ... never mind ... I won't go there. ;)

Thumper
09-23-2014, 10:09 AM
One thing this site has taught me...............humans will eat dang near anything. Many of them will like it. SOME of them will try and claim that others should, even when it's nasty.

How many Yankees say that about grits? ;)

I just had grits for supper Monday night (my request). Lynn cooked up a big ol' pot of cheese grits, a platter of over easy-eggs and plenty of bacon. My FAVORITE way to eat grits is to start out with a plate full, slap a few slices of bacon on top then top the whole mess with 2-3 eggs (runny yolks). Then take a knife and chop the whole thing up into a big runny mess and eat it with a spoon.

P.S. Did that Monday night for supper ... then had the same thing as left-overs for lunch yesterday. YUUMMMMM!

Buckrub
09-23-2014, 10:32 AM
Last grits I ever SAW was on a plate at a Bob Evans in Kent, OH.

BarryBobPosthole
09-23-2014, 10:39 AM
Grits were on our breakfast table when I was a kid probably two out of five school days. We ate them like Arkansawyers do, with honey or sugar and butter, not salted like the true southerner do. IT was just another form of the mush we ate almost every day for our breakfast on school days. It was either rice, grits, or oatmeal and a slice of toast. To this day, I can't eat a bowl of oatmeal without a piece of toast alongside.

BKB

Big Muddy
09-23-2014, 10:52 AM
How many Yankees say that about grits? ;)

I just had grits for supper Monday night (my request). Lynn cooked up a big ol' pot of cheese grits, a platter of over easy-eggs and plenty of bacon. My FAVORITE way to eat grits is to start out with a plate full, slap a few slices of bacon on top then top the whole mess with 2-3 eggs (runny yolks). Then take a knife and chop the whole thing up into a big runny mess and eat it with a spoon.

P.S. Did that Monday night for supper ... then had the same thing as left-overs for lunch yesterday. YUUMMMMM!

Thump, that sounds pretty danged good....next time, throw in a can of smoked oysters....or, some boiled shrimp with cheddar....I got a killer coonazz recipe for shrimp and grits. ;)

Chicken Dinner
09-23-2014, 11:06 AM
I used to be a lot like this. Sometimes I 'd cook a brisket and it'd be the best thing I ever ate. Other times, "meh". I did a lot of reading up on BBQ sites about process and since then I've been on a roll.

Confession.

I can't smoke a brisket. I ruin it.

Sigh.

Thumper
09-23-2014, 11:08 AM
Last grits I ever SAW was on a plate at a Bob Evans in Kent, OH.

Ha! I know Bob Evans has grits and did you know .... get ready for it ... I AM Thumper ya' know ... I got to know Bob Evans pretty well and had breakfast with him a few times ... even been to his house (farm)!

My deer hunting partner in Ohio lives just north of Gallipolis, OH along the Ohio River (Rt. 7) in a little village called Cheshire. His wife has worked at Bob Evans since they built the original restaurant there and Gallipolis is where Bob first started his sausage business years ago. His farm is also just north of Gallopolis on Hwy 35 (?). Anyway, my buddy and I were having breakfast there one morning and in walks Bob Evans. My buds wife called him over and introduced us and he sat at the table with us. I told him I was up there for deer season and he said I should come out to the farm as he had something I'd probably enjoy seeing. He was the most average acting/looking country dude you could imagine and was even wearing cover-alls. We drove out to the farm and he showed me some of the biggest white tail bucks I've ever seen in my life .. by biggest, I mean their antlers! They were absolute monsters! He raises them and breeds/feeds them for rack development. Wow! That would really add to the local gene pool to start a little insemination project on the local wild herd! WOW!

Anyway, over the 25 years I was going up there, I saw him quite a few times. They eventually tore that restaurant down to make room for a new bridge and roadway across the river and they built a new restaurant just down the road in town. He passed away the last year I was up there ('07?). One of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet. True, down to earth country folk.

LJ3
09-23-2014, 11:38 AM
I finally got my shrimp and grits recipe dialed in. That is one of my favorite dishes of all time.

Eddie, care to share your coonass recipe? I assume you start with the holy trinity?

BarryBobPosthole
09-23-2014, 11:41 AM
I've not had grits and shrimps. I do like me some jambalaya though so I'd prolly like it with grits.

BKB

Big Muddy
09-23-2014, 01:24 PM
It's as simple as can be:

> Add your favorite Cajun seasoning(I like Tony Cacherie's) to boiling water to make enough slightly loose grits, that will fill your casserole dish
> Saute' some diced green onions, celery, garlic, and any type peppers you like, until al dente'
> Boil shrimp in Cajun seasoning, peel, and set aside....I like to add a can of smoked oysters, too
> Stir sautéed veggies into the grits
> Add a little evoo to the bottom of casserole dish, and cover the bottom with the shrimp and/or oysters....you put them on the bottom to keep them from cooking any further
> Pour the grit/veggie mixture over the shrimp/oysters, and smooth it out to the edges of the dish
> Cover the whole thing in a thick layer of shredded sharp cheddar....I like to add some pepper jack, Colby, or mozzarella....whatever is handy.
> Place casserole under a medium-hot broiler, only until the cheeses are brown, crusty, and gooey....do not bake, as the shrimp/oysters will shrivel up.

This stuff is mighty fine, and is a meal in itself, with a salad and some garlic toast.

BaseballCoach (Rev A)
09-23-2014, 09:14 PM
A little place on Topsail Island has a very good version of shrimp and grits. They make the grits with chunks of hot pepper then chill everything so they can be sliced. Then they fry them in bacon grease so you get slabs of spicy grits that are crispy on the outside. Added shrimp and a bacon grease based gravy over the top. Pretty tasty.

Big Muddy
09-23-2014, 10:18 PM
Heck, bacon grease makes everything better....prolly even make Thump's fish bait palatable. ;)

Buckrub
09-23-2014, 11:26 PM
Ha! I know Bob Evans has grits and did you know .... get ready for it ... I AM Thumper ya' know ... I got to know Bob Evans pretty well and had breakfast with him a few times ... even been to his house (farm)!

My deer hunting partner in Ohio lives just north of Gallipolis, OH along the Ohio River (Rt. 7) in a little village called Cheshire. His wife has worked at Bob Evans since they built the original restaurant there and Gallipolis is where Bob first started his sausage business years ago. His farm is also just north of Gallopolis on Hwy 35 (?). Anyway, my buddy and I were having breakfast there one morning and in walks Bob Evans. My buds wife called him over and introduced us and he sat at the table with us. I told him I was up there for deer season and he said I should come out to the farm as he had something I'd probably enjoy seeing. He was the most average acting/looking country dude you could imagine and was even wearing cover-alls. We drove out to the farm and he showed me some of the biggest white tail bucks I've ever seen in my life .. by biggest, I mean their antlers! They were absolute monsters! He raises them and breeds/feeds them for rack development. Wow! That would really add to the local gene pool to start a little insemination project on the local wild herd! WOW!

Anyway, over the 25 years I was going up there, I saw him quite a few times. They eventually tore that restaurant down to make room for a new bridge and roadway across the river and they built a new restaurant just down the road in town. He passed away the last year I was up there ('07?). One of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet. True, down to earth country folk.

You're more full of b/s than a Christmas Turkey, man!!!