PDA

View Full Version : Old School Shaving......

Niner
09-22-2014, 06:40 PM
A few months ago I was going through a box of miscellaneous stuff that belonged to my Dad. I came across an old Gillette razor (fat boy). The kind that Thump puts up on eBay regularly. I set it aside and thought I might list it, and make a little pocket change.

Well, several, several weeks went by and that razor sat on my workbench. While at the Walmart a week or so ago, I was in the shaving stuff isle checking out the prices on the latest whiz-bang rasor blades ($16 per pack). We usually use those disposable units. I wondered if they still made the "Old School" blades that those old Gillette razors used. I checked a little further down the isle and BAM....there they were. They were not Gillette brand (of course), they were from Europe...but they were less than $3 for the box so I bought one.

When I got home, I cleaned up Dad's old razor. After just a little scrubbing, it looked like new. Since I have a full beard, I only shave my neck.

I tried the old razor with the new blades....and sonofagun! the old unit shaved pretty darned good. At LEAST as good as the disposables that we've used for years. It took a min to get used to the heft of the old razor compared to the plasic ones.

I guess maybe all those commercials I've been seeing latley for the old style razors aren't just a bunch of bunk. BUT, like I said, I just shave my neck......shaving one's whole face might ---or might not---- have different results.

BarryBobPosthole
09-22-2014, 07:28 PM
My issue with safety razors is the razor burn. Used to get it bad when I lived down in Florida where you can get heat rash in places you didn't know you could.

I just bought a Gillette ProFusion, the one with the little track ball here while back. My beard isn't too thick so I can get away with dry shaving if I do it right when I get out of the shower. Otherwise I use an old timey soap and cup, but that's only once every couple of weeks.

BKB