PDA

View Full Version : New Book Recommendation

BarryBobPosthole
09-25-2014, 01:00 PM
I just picked up Bill O'Reilly's new book 'Killing Patton' this week and its a damn good read. I've not read his other books on this same topic but I will likely put them up next seeing how good this one is. The guy is an awesome writer.

BKB

Big Muddy
09-25-2014, 01:14 PM
Saw Oreilly last night talking about that book. Did I hear him say that he believes that Patton did not actually get killed in a car wreck??
Interesting theory.

BarryBobPosthole
09-25-2014, 01:17 PM
I prolly shouldn't give away any spoilers. Great story though and some very interesting questions. We tend to forget that information was much more precious then, than it is today, given the wealth of it that we have. So it was a hell of a lot easier to create perceptions that were accepted as reality in those days because you could control it so much.

anyway, a thought provoking book.

BKB

DeputyDog
09-25-2014, 01:26 PM
I was just looking at getting that book for my Kindle the other day. Haven't gotten it yet, but I did see that there are a couple of other books out there with the same premise as O'Reilly's.

I did read Killing Lincoln and though that is was really good.

Big Muddy
09-25-2014, 01:34 PM
Phole, you are prolly right.... I didn't really think about the spoil-factor, since he actually divulged some of his book on FOX.
I was just sorta shocked, when I heard parts of his theory.

Big Skyz
09-25-2014, 02:37 PM
I've read both Killing Kennedy and Killing Lincoln. I learned a lot from both and can recommend both. Might have to pick up this new Patton book.

BarryBobPosthole
09-25-2014, 02:59 PM
My only critique might be his prose. He changes tenses about every paragraph, going from describing things in present tense and next describing something else in past tense. It kind of makes you go through a mental shifting of gears, or it does me anyway. That makes it not flow especially well for me. The content though, is awesome.

BKB

Fido
09-25-2014, 03:14 PM
Ordered it from Amazon yesterday, looking forward tooo see what info is in it on the other world leaders at the time. I've read the three other Killing books and they all have information that wasn't made available too the public, sort of a cover -up.

Buckrub
09-25-2014, 04:44 PM
I don't care for him.

I have Krauthammer's "Things that Matter".....want to read that.

Fido
09-26-2014, 08:46 AM
The part about the space shuttle launch tickled my funny bone!

Chicken Dinner
09-26-2014, 11:00 AM
Killing Lincoln was a great read. The scholarship wasn't always true to other stuff I've read (just in a couple of instances). However, it was a great read.

BarryBobPosthole
09-26-2014, 11:09 AM
I'm noticing the same thing with this book, Hank. The story of the European theater in WWII has been told about every way you could you'd think, but he adds some back story to the people involved that really makes you look at certain things in an entirely new light.

BKB

Bwana
09-26-2014, 12:57 PM
I've read "Killing Jesus" and have to say it was definitely interesting and gave me a better idea of what was going on in that part of the world back then.