PDA

View Full Version : Just made it home ...

Thumper
09-28-2014, 09:49 PM
Man, that was a quick 1600 miles! Kind of a whirlwind tour. Stayed in Atlanta Wed. night, then headed up to run around Nashville. Stayed in Nashville Thursday night, then headed to Scottsboro, Alabama to hit the "Unclaimed Baggage Center" Friday. Spent the night in Scottsboro Friday night, then hit UBC again Saturday morning and in those two days, loaded up with enough cool deals to pay for the trip once I sell them on eBay ... and should still have some $$$ left over! Headed back to Atlanta on Saturday, met up with the Niner's at The Varsity to chat and watch Mr. 9'er wolf down a couple'a Varsity dogs .. then Lynn and I headed out to a kick-ass Vietnamese place for dinner. The neighborhood was a bit on the iffy side, but the Pho was killer! We also had a chicken wing appetizer ... fried crispy, glazed and set in soy sauce ... it was to die for.

FYI ... After visiting Mr. Co9 and his lovely wife last night in Hotlanta ... we've decided you couldn't ask to know nicer people and they are just a couple more examples of the solid gold types who seem to be associated with this place. ('Course, I actually made that determination MANY years ago ... we just re-confirmed it last night) :D

Big Muddy
09-28-2014, 10:08 PM
Post some pics of your purchased goodies. ;)

LJ3
09-28-2014, 10:34 PM
I still need to meet up with so many of you hockey pucks.... I need to get busy!

What'd ya get Jimmy? Medieval condoms? used?

Thumper
09-28-2014, 11:50 PM
Lots of odds & ends ... not sure when I'll have pics as I'm gonna have to take a hiatus from eBay for a bit. We're leaving this week for someplace (can't even remember where) and will be back on Sunday. On Tuesday I'm taking off for my buddy's place in Texas for a little meeting of worn out old ex-spies so we can talk about the "good ol' days" of playin' 007. Gots 2 ex-intel. dufes coming out from California and I'll be headed out of Florida ... so we figured Texas was a central location to meet up. Bummer my SEAL bud won't be there ... he's leaving for Thailand next week and will prolly be gone 2-3 months. :(

I did manage to pick up a half dozen more Garmin GPS's ... so those will pay for the gas and our meals. Our hotel stays were free, so the rest of the goodies will be pure profit. :D

Niner
09-29-2014, 06:14 AM
Glad to hear youse guys made it home safe and sound. Di and I really enjoyed seeing you and Lynn again. Wish we could have chatted longer, but I knew y'all needed to get on to your dinner place.

After our side trip to the IKEA, and then the inside of the Varsity, I was glad to get back out here to the sticks where there's a bit more elbow room!

Next time y'all are through this way, we'd like to have y'all come by the homestead for some Niner BBQ from the Big Green Egg. I know you'd love my pulled-pork sammiches!

Thumper
09-29-2014, 08:16 AM
Those sammiches are what I go for. We have a usual gas stop at exit #3 off of I-475 around Macon and there's a joint there called JL's Open Pit BBQ. It looks like an old Sonny's building. We always gas up right down the street from there (always the cheapest gas for miles), but have never stopped to eat. Our gas stop yesterday coincided with lunchtime, so we tried it out. Dang, Lynn got the all-you-can eat ribs and I went for the all-you-can eat pork sammiches ... we were HUNGRY and did some serious damage to that place! Oh, they have some GREAT homemade 'nanner puddin' too! ;)

We saw a sign on I-75 that said they were voted "Georgia's Best BBQ". Whenever I see those signs, I always wonder WHO voted ... but, it didn't matter, it was GOOD BBQ and we waddled out of there to finish the trip home. The kick-ass part was, I had been joking around with the waitress and really messin' with her while we were there. Just before we left, she brought Lynn 5 ribs and a to-go box! I guess she felt sorry for Lynn because she had to put up with me 24/7. Guess what I'll be gnawing on for lunch? :D

LJ3
09-29-2014, 09:58 AM
Only Jimmy would rush out of lunch in order to get to dinner.

Chicken Dinner
09-29-2014, 10:01 AM
What's 5 free ribs when they were prolly one pulled pig sammy from paying Thump to leave?

Big Skyz
09-29-2014, 10:21 AM
Niner and his wife are about as good of company as one can hope for, actually better.

Hey, are any of those Garmin GPS's the type you can use in a car or are they all hand held?

Trav
09-29-2014, 10:22 AM
Thump what kind of GPS's do you have I am in the market for one.

Thumper
09-29-2014, 10:26 AM
They're all automotive units B/S. Last time we were there, I bought about 15 of them, but they all had lifetime map updates ... some had traffic updates also. I've sold all of those, but this time around, I guess they got smart and saved those for retail sales (the one's I bought were discounted). These are all recent units, but don't have the lifetime updates. They still sell well, they just don't bring the premium the others do. That's why I only bought a half-dozen of 'em this time.

Big Skyz
09-29-2014, 11:12 AM
Darn I was going to take one off your hands, but that lack of lifetime updates is the deal breaker for me. :(

Thumper
09-29-2014, 11:25 AM
Darn I was going to take one off your hands, but that lack of lifetime updates is the deal breaker for me. :(

Yeah, I hear ya'. It would be for me too as it's just not worth it these days to buy one without it. Odd how well they still sell w/o the updates though. One I bought is a goldmine even without the updates as it's the "trucker" model. They bring a premium.

Big Skyz
09-29-2014, 12:13 PM
With all the little treasures you find these days I'm sure it's just a matter of time before I buy something from you. You are like my hero of modern day treasure hunters.

Thumper
09-29-2014, 12:42 PM
It's a lot of fun B/S. In fact, I have my buddy hooked now. He tagged along with me on one of my estate sales and has been my protege' for a month or so. He's now starting to buy stuff and list it. He's only listed two items so far. His first attempt was a Griswold skillet that he paid $15 for and it sold for $85. After that he was hooked. Last weekend we went to a sale and he dug through a kitchen drawer to pull out a little plastic pig ... it's tail is a corkscrew. He asked what I thought about it, but I had no clue although I wasn't super excited about it. I told him to check eBay "just in case". DANG!! One just sold for $115.50 PLUS shipping!!! Who'da thunk it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare1949-Howard-Ross-Cap-039-n-Corky-Green-Pig-Corkscrew-Wine-Beer-Bottle-Opener-/231294209296?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35da358d10&nma=true&si=MXhJnGG41pXxq8m0002m6%252BT08Fk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I guess I trained him well as he has a good eye! His is in worse condition ... a bit scratched and has a chipped place on the snout ... but just a couple hours after he listed it as an auction, he started receiving eMails from people asking if he'd put a "Buy it Now" price on it. One guy offered him $85.00 on the spot! He figured a bird in the bush is ... well, you know. He accepted the $85.00 and cancelled the auction. He paid $0.50 for it! He keeps calling to thank me for introducing him to this game. He just retired two months ago and this is his new hobby!

Here's the one he just sold this morning!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1949-Howard-Ross-Yellow-Cap-N-Corky-Pig-Cork-Screw-amp-Bottle-Opener-wine-barware-/261609068366?ssPageName=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=MXhJnGG41pXxq8m0002m6%252BT08Fk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

BarryBobPosthole
09-29-2014, 12:46 PM
I have a Nuvi 5000 with lifetime updates. Now that both of my vehicles have on board GPS I would likely sell this one. I have to assume the lifetime updates are transferable? It has the suction cup windsheild mount that comes with it. If anybody's interested. Not trying to horn in on Thumper's action here.

BKB

Thumper
09-29-2014, 12:55 PM
Go for it ... I sold a few here with the updates, but I'm out of them. I'll move these on eBay with no problem. I personally wouldn't buy one these days that doesn't have lifetime updates and wouldn't try to push one on anyone here.

Is it a 5000 LM or LMT?

Chicken Dinner
09-29-2014, 01:13 PM
I still maintain eBay has to be some sort of mob money laundering operation. That's the only thing that makes sense.

BarryBobPosthole
09-29-2014, 01:15 PM
I have no idea what those designators mean. Mine just says NUVI 5000. I bought it in 2008 does that help?
BKB

Thumper
09-29-2014, 01:20 PM
LM = Lifetime Maps , LMT = Lifetime Maps & Traffic

BarryBobPosthole
09-29-2014, 01:27 PM
Ah, I looked on my unit not on the maps. Here's what it says on my maps. " City Navigator North America NT 2014.10 - Map+P, May 13" I don't recall buying the one with traffic information but that doesn't mean I didn't.

BKB

Thumper
09-29-2014, 01:32 PM
Ah, I looked on my unit not on the maps.

That's where it would be ... on the unit itself. 5000, 5000LM or 5000LMT. I'm not even sure they had the LM or LMT in 2008 as it's a more recent thing.

You normally get ONE free update when you purchase the unit, but I think it has to be done within 90-days of the initial purchase. After that one update, you have to pay for them. I just checked the specs on the 5000 and it doesn't come with lifetime updates. Is it (the updates) something you purchased separately from Garmin?

Check the specs here:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/discontinued/nuvi-5000/prod11547.html

BarryBobPosthole
09-29-2014, 01:33 PM
Yep, I bought them separately from garmin and download them to my unit every year.

BKB

Thumper
09-29-2014, 01:38 PM
Oh, ok ... that 'splains it. I'd assume that's transferable ... I have no idea really. Not sure how they'd know who's doing the updating anydamnway.

Thumper
09-29-2014, 01:40 PM
Yep, I bought them separately from garmin and download them to my unit every year.

BKB

No wait! I just re-read that and am all cornfuzzled now. Are you saying you PAY for an update every year? Or that you purchased "lifetime" updates (with which you'd update FREE every year ... actually you can do it up to 4-times/year)?

BarryBobPosthole
09-29-2014, 01:41 PM
Yep me neither. I have to log into my account and then hook my unit up to my computer and download the updates. I'll check with Garmin and see. Thanks for the info, Jim!
BKB