PDA

View Full Version : Dont look now

BarryBobPosthole
10-01-2014, 08:36 AM
But my preseason pick for the AL pennant made it through to the ALDS. And if anyone calls that game boring, you need to check your pulse. Whew! What a way to start October baseball!

BKB

Thumper
10-01-2014, 08:52 AM
ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!! ;)

DeputyDog
10-01-2014, 09:06 AM
It's good to see them finally make the playoffs after that long of a drought. I'm still going to pick the Tigers to win the AL. They are finally getting healthy and playing pretty good ball right now. They are either 1st or 2nd in MLB in runs scored, on base %, slugging %, and batting average. They have a great rotation but the bullpen is shaky. Add to that they dominated all the other team's in the AL playoffs this year, with a 13-6 record against KC, a 5-1 record against Baltimore, but they haven't played them since the middle of May, and a 5-2 record against the A's. All of the games against Oakland were in the first half as well before they had their collapse towards the end of the season, add to that the Tigers have taken the A's the past 3 years so I think they are in their heads.

BarryBobPosthole
10-01-2014, 09:22 AM
You're right about the dominance of the Royals and its dang lucky for the Royals that they get the Angels next. Its strange to me how hardly anybody is picking the team team with the best record in baseball to win the AL pennant. (the Angels)

And don't you know I was cussing Ned Yost last night. He damn near managed his way right out of the playoffs by pulling a pitcher who was doing well against the A's and then the pen promptly gave up a big lead.
STUPIDO!

BKB

LJ3
10-01-2014, 10:37 AM
How far do you see the Nats going?

Buckrub
10-01-2014, 11:12 AM
I ain't predicting this one. Too difficult this year. I saw where the overall batting average is down to levels not seen in 30-40 years. In fact, the last time they were this low, the stupid American League went nuts and instituted the DH to compensate.

Chicken Dinner
10-01-2014, 12:28 PM
I like the Nationals chances as much as anyone else's. However, I don't think you can reliably predict the baseball playoffs. Over 162 games, the best teams will rise to the top. Over a 1, 5 or 7 game series, there's just too many variables.

BarryBobPosthole
10-01-2014, 12:40 PM
Agreed. Len I am hoping for a Cardinals-Nats NLCS but who the heck knows? Its fun to try to predict though.

In tonight's game, I'm predicting a win by the Pirates. I think they're better than folks think they are. My only issue is with Volquez as the starter. OVERRATED. Look at who he beat in september, a bunch of sub 500 teams. Liriano would have been my choice. that may come back to haunt the Pirates.

By the way, have I mentioned I hate the friggin giants?

BKB

Chicken Dinner
10-01-2014, 12:47 PM
I'm kind of a trend guy when it comes to predictions. After the Nats, the Pirates were the hottest team in baseball over the month of September. (Historically, McCutchen has been a Nats killer as well.) Meanwhile, the Giants are under .500 since June 1st. I think you know who I'd rather face...

BarryBobPosthole
10-01-2014, 01:08 PM
I would disagree that the Pirates were the second hottest club in September. They did have a 18-9 record, but if you look deeper 13 of those wins were against sub 500 ball clubs, and by sub 500 I mean REALLY basement dwellers. the Cards had a 17-9 record in September with only 8 of those wins coming against sub 500 clubs. The other 9 came against the Pirates and Brewers who were both in the division chase in September.
and if you want to really get analytical, 13 of the Nats 19 September wins came against the sub 500 dregs of the league. So 'hot' is a relative term.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
10-01-2014, 01:13 PM
I should have known you were more of a stathead than me. We could really get some of these guys going by getting started on WHIP, WAR and OBP.

BarryBobPosthole
10-01-2014, 01:36 PM
Hahahaha....some of that stuff is beyond me. I'm not a huge stats guy, but I just happen to have read an article the other day that basically said (and proved through stats) that September momentum is meaningless. Which I totally disagreed with until I read it. I mean it almost has to carry over right? Wrong. At least statisically. So I'd already been looking at the Nat'l league temas and they're september momentum just so I could see for myself in the playoffs this time. the Giants by the way, whom everyone seems to picking to win tonight, was 13-12 in September. 10 of those wins were against sub 500 teams. Hot? Not.

BKB

Buckrub
10-01-2014, 02:42 PM
WHIP matters.

OPS matters.

BarryBobPosthole
10-01-2014, 03:12 PM
Agree it does for individual players. what it means one a team basis is probably a little more subjective.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
10-01-2014, 03:23 PM
WAR has always seemed more subjective to me. However, it attempt to measure contribution to the overall team.

BarryBobPosthole
10-01-2014, 03:32 PM
I understand WAR, at least the concept of it as a rule of thumb for measuring a player's value. But I couldn't begin to explain it to you, as in how its calculated and so forth.

There's also a trend lately to adjust stats to the parks that they play in. I recall last year I got into an argument with a writer at Grantland because he selected Buster Posey as his mid year MVP because Yadi's 'park adjusted offensive stats' weren't as good as Posey's. Of course I couldn't just let that stand. It didn't hurt that Posey weent into one giant (or Giant, lol) slump after the all Star break and was virtually never heard from again that year. Now this year, that same writer at Grantland is again singing his praises as the best catcher ever, yada yada yada.

We'll see.

BKB

Buckrub
10-01-2014, 04:22 PM
Say what?

WHIP and OPS are strictly individual statistics.

WAR makes perfect sense........IF there were any true way to measure it.

I guess I'm lost here.

BarryBobPosthole
10-01-2014, 05:27 PM
We were discussing team statistics and what teams were hot in September and who was not. That's all.

BKB

Buckrub
10-01-2014, 05:30 PM
OK. I'm off. I was giving my opinion of Hank's comment on those statistics.

I know nobody is hitting squat lately (well, till last night, so I'm wrong again!!!)........

BarryBobPosthole
10-01-2014, 05:39 PM
Let's just hope all the playoff games are one run games. that seems to be the best thing the Cards can do this year statisically.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
10-01-2014, 07:01 PM
I wasn't trying to argue with any if us enlightened ones. I was mostly trying to annoy the haters.

Buckrub
10-01-2014, 07:43 PM
I t'weren't arguin' neither. I was just saying my opinion that WHIP and OPS are great statistics and meaningful, IMHO! Some stats ain't.

Chicken Dinner
10-01-2014, 08:01 PM
We are in agreement then. Personally, I think they're far superior to ERA and batting average.

BarryBobPosthole
10-01-2014, 08:17 PM
My favorite stat is wins and losses.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
10-01-2014, 09:12 PM
Meanwhile, bases loaded and nobody out in the top of the 4th...

Chicken Dinner
10-01-2014, 09:13 PM
The Grand Salame!

BarryBobPosthole
10-01-2014, 09:31 PM
I told 'em not to start that guy but they wouldn't listen!

BKB

Chicken Dinner
10-01-2014, 09:43 PM
I bet it's because his WHIP is too high...

Buckrub
10-01-2014, 09:44 PM
Too low.

He got WHIPPED.

Learn to hate the Giants, CD. And remember to not celebrate till they're ground into dust and gone outta town. Otherwise they have a way of biting you. Good luck.

BTW, I'm predicting a Corridor Series.

Captain
10-01-2014, 09:48 PM
I can understand the Japanese sex thread better than this one.... I have no CLUE what y'all are talking about.

BarryBobPosthole
10-01-2014, 09:58 PM
Too low.

He got WHIPPED.

Learn to hate the Giants, CD. And remember to not celebrate till they're ground into dust and gone outta town. Otherwise they have a way of biting you. Good luck.

BTW, I'm predicting a Corridor Series.

That's what I'm rooting for too Bucky! I hear they might even bring Denkinger out of retirement if they both get in!

BKB

BarryBobPosthole
10-01-2014, 10:57 PM
And the wheels done fell plumb off.

BKB

LJ3
10-02-2014, 12:11 AM
OBP gets my kid at the top of the order on every travel team she plays on. It matters :)

Thumper
10-02-2014, 08:40 AM
I can understand the Japanese sex thread better than this one.... I have no CLUE what y'all are talking about.

I'm with you Cappy ... it's like being in the military ... an "outsider" would be totally lost without knowing all the acronyms.

P.S. I really don't feel I'm missing anything. :D

BarryBobPosthole
10-03-2014, 08:58 AM
Here a hint Captain.....neither does Bucky.

Well, it's started. anybody changing their mind yet about their favorites? Hank, you have tickets to any of the playoff games? I'll be a heck of a lot of work doesn't get done in the DC area late this afternoon.

Good luck, Nats! The good news is you get the Giants, who as Hank said are below 500 for the second half of the season and barely above 500 in Spetember. The bad news is you have the Giants, who are the streakiest team in baseball. They limped into the playoffs the year they won it all. what do you expect when the best player on the team is Hunter Pence? Strange brew, that one. I'm still wondering why the Astros let him go. I imagine they are too now about now.

BKB

BKB

Buckrub
10-03-2014, 09:22 AM
Here's another hint for ya, Cappy. I understand 'em way better than the guys talking about it, but they won't ever believe that. Does that sound familiar in any way?

Two "Corridor Series" still in the mix!!! All four on TV today. Somehow I'm starting to feel like a vegetable.

Chicken Dinner
10-03-2014, 10:21 AM
It's a "Parkway" series that I'm pulling for!

BarryBobPosthole
10-03-2014, 10:29 AM
And it wouldn't be a goodhunting thread without a rant, but ESPN has the absolute worse baseball coverage of any network that I have ever seen. John Kruk has the most meaningless thoughts about the game ever heard, and they talk and talk endlessly without even really calling the game. Even the MLB Network has better baseball announcing than ESPN. TBS might be second to last. FOX actually I think covers baseball pretty good.

BKB

DeputyDog
10-03-2014, 10:46 AM
John Kruk, the major league player who always went up to the plate with a one ball count.

Chicken Dinner
10-03-2014, 03:40 PM
Los Tigres are sure as heck are starting to hate 8th innings.

BarryBobPosthole
10-03-2014, 04:03 PM
Wow. Who saw that coming? Detroit was all but crowned the pride of the American League by the Powers That Be in the sports media.

BKB

BarryBobPosthole
10-03-2014, 04:05 PM
And by the way, Hank. You DO know that I-70 goes from St Louis to Baltimore too, don't you?

BKB

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/97424876/st-louis-cardinals-postseason-fans

Chicken Dinner
10-03-2014, 04:10 PM
Well, I knew it went to baltimore.

BarryBobPosthole
10-03-2014, 04:12 PM
Well, just sayin' that an I-70 Series could be either STL-KCY or STL-BAL.

Just sayin'.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
10-03-2014, 04:17 PM
Not this year, my friend. Not this year.

DeputyDog
10-04-2014, 07:50 AM
Anyone who has followed the Tigers this year knew that they had better have a huge lead going into the 8th or else there was a really good chance that the bullpen will blow it. Sometimes even a huge lead hasn't helped. They had better spend the offseason getting a bullpen that can actually protect a lead. I heard an old ballplayer that is an announcer now, I can't remember who, say that a great starting rotation doesn't matter like it used to since starters don't pitch complete games any longer. He says that having a good bullpen is actually more important than starting pitching. The Tigers have proven this all year.

Buckrub
10-04-2014, 09:48 AM
A) 12 X 30 = 360

B) THERE ARE NOT 360 MLB CALIBER PITCHERS ON THIS PLANET.

If there were, the success rate for batting would not be 30%, it'd be 10%.........

BarryBobPosthole
10-04-2014, 08:30 PM
Man, this Nats-giants game is another good friggin ball game.
BKB

Chicken Dinner
10-04-2014, 10:07 PM
Killin' me...

Buckrub
10-05-2014, 10:11 AM
I need sleep. Good grief.