PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood maroons!

Thumper
10-04-2014, 10:36 PM
Had a long day and now relaxing in the hotel room. Gots the tv on and watching Criminal Minds. They're supposedly in Tampa Florida chasing a crazy, cop killin' woman and there are mountains in the background. Helloooo Hollywood ... YOU gots those things ... we don't. Duh. ;)

DeputyDog
10-05-2014, 07:24 AM
Reminds me of the old joke. What's the 3 highest mountains in Florida? Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, and Thunder Mountain.

Thumper
10-05-2014, 08:39 AM
It's a curse of mine and pisses Lynn off constantly. I rip movies and tv shows apart when I watch 'em by picking out silly things like that. I can't help myself. :(

Buckrub
10-05-2014, 03:00 PM
Curmudgeon.

yellowk9
10-06-2014, 10:24 AM
I hate it when the show a bald eagle soaring and then cue the scream of a red-tailed hawk. I watched a show last night where a guy was drinking a beer while driving down the road. They flipped to another angle for a few seconds and then went back. He was turning up a pint of whiskey. Stuff like that irritates the hell out me. It used to bug my wife when I pointed them out. Now it's a contest between us to see who can find the most things wrong.

BarryBobPosthole
10-06-2014, 10:39 AM
I felt the same way about the snow capped peaks in the background in the original True Grit, along with the wild mispronunciations of place names. The Coen Brothers version of True Grit was much more realistic from that aspect even though you'll never get the old curmudgeons to ever admit they like the new version better. I sure as hell do. Glen Campbell just didn't make it as a ranger and Kim Darby was a joke as Mattie Ross. Neither captured ANY loyalty to their parts in the novel which made the whole story. John Wayne and Robert Duvall were the only ones who did a halfway good job in the original.

'Wah-cheetahs' for Ouachita and 'Paw-too River' for the Poteau River and 'Mack-a-lester' station were ones that anybody with any idea at all of the area would laugh at.

BKB

LJ3
10-06-2014, 11:13 AM
Curmudgeon.

Chicken Dinner
10-06-2014, 11:21 AM
I think it's Posthole's time of the month...

Buckrub
10-06-2014, 11:32 AM
Well, he DID call KC accurately..........

BarryBobPosthole
10-06-2014, 11:39 AM
And ESPN called both of the ALDS series incorrectly. They had the Tigers and Angels in the ALCS and both got swept!

I'm a tellin' ya, the Royals are going all the way this year. Hopefully to a loss in the WS.
BKB

Buckrub
10-06-2014, 11:44 AM
See? I rest my case.

You're LISTENING to ESPN instead of watching them.

BTW, is Don Denkinger still alive?

BarryBobPosthole
10-06-2014, 11:46 AM
LOL he is, I checked last week. You KNOW he'll be on getting interviewed if we were to get to a I-70 series.

BKB

Buckrub
10-06-2014, 12:03 PM
And you'll listen to the interviews instead of watching the dang game!!! :laughing

Thumper
10-06-2014, 12:15 PM
JEEEEEZUS H. KEEEERIST!!! I check in one last time before heading out the door for the Orlando Airport and find even THIS thread morphed into a frigging baseball discussion! AARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

Later butt-faces! I'm out'ta here. :banghead

Buckrub
10-06-2014, 12:18 PM
Curmudgeon.

BarryBobPosthole
10-06-2014, 12:18 PM
My issue with ESPN is that they are trying to dictate the way sports are run by the nature of their coverage. Look at the NFL. The NFL is about one small rung above championship wrestling these days. The players are cartoonish in actions and appearance, the outcomes are sometimes seemingly scripted, and the demand from ESPN (and others) that the game be refereed perfectly on every single play has resulted in changes to the game that to me have made it boring as hell. I play fantasy football or I wouldn't pay attention to it at all. and any time someone disagrees with the model, they get shut up. Look at what happened to Bill Simmons recently.

College football is much the same. Sure, they broadcast a LOT of games. they're primary blockbuster games each week though are SEC games because that's where their bread is buttered. and as a result, that's about all the analysis you hear from them is how great the SEC is. Dr Lou, Mark May, the whole clown show on ESPN Gameday is so silly its beyond belief that anyone watches it. And we're supposed to take them seriously? Really? Celebrity guest pickers? they changed the game of college football by substituting a mythical national championship that makes more money for them and the conferences for a previous one that did essentially the same thing. the only difference? The AP poll is now relevant again after taking their toys and going home in the BCS era. Now they're back, they're relevant, and ain't it wonderful? The BCS, by the way replaced the previous mythical national championship, namely the AP and Coaches polls.
Baseball coverage at ESPN is poor to horrible. they've changed baseball by making the sportswriters the ones who decide what is moral or immoral about baseball. Seriously, and it was driven primarily through the devil himself, ESPN. they decide who can go into the Hall. they decide who is MVP and Cy Young, and what's worse, there is a puppet in the seat of Commissioner who believes that he should do everything in his power to make sports teams more beholden to the media with every decision he makes.

they are the devil incarnate and I pretty much refuse to watch games they broadcast. You hit it on the head with Gary Danielson too. He's an idiot.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
10-06-2014, 12:48 PM
I absolutely despise the extent to which they cross-promote everydamnthing. If you listen/watch through our the day or week, it's so obvious they all "got the memo". Some of the talking heads they still trot out there (ie, Berman and Vitale) are so past their primes it's embarrassing.

quercus alba
10-06-2014, 12:50 PM
Curmudgeon.

Lots of that going round, glad I'm not one

Buckrub
10-06-2014, 12:57 PM
Well, you are a true Curmudgeon, and I'm not.

So there.

I reiterate.........and your entire post proves my point........that you are LISTENING to them and not simply enjoying the product that they bring, the telecast of sporting events that I like to WATCH! I do NOT LISTEN! Does your TV not have a volume button??? Geez man.

These are the kind of things you have berated me about for years. I respectfully stand straight up (YES I'M STANDING DANG IT!! stop making fun of me) and say that you are being hypocritical on this issue! I like them, I enjoy having them, and I do not listen to anything they say, ever.

Curmudgeons All!!!

DeputyDog
10-06-2014, 01:00 PM
It will be interesting to see how their coverage of NASCAR changes after they no longer have the TV contract and it switches to NBCSN. They way they are now, they don't even mention sports that they don't have some type of TV contract with.

If you relied on ESPN for your coverage of Indy car, you would think that the season starts with the Indy 500 and there are only 4 other races. The only reason they even mention anything about it then is because those are the races that are on ABC, or as it's called now, ESPN on ABC.

I can guarantee you that if it wasn't for the huge TV contract that NASCAR has, there wouldn't be a NASCAR race in Indy. They are lucky to draw 40,000 people now. Ticket sales like that in a place that has over 250,000 seats doesn't pay to open the gates.