PDA

View Full Version : WHY WHY WHY?

BarryBobPosthole
10-06-2014, 09:27 AM
Why did the Nats lift Zimmerman in the 9th? He is only the hottest pitcher in baseball a the time. That DEFINITELY could be the series deciding decision by the manager of this NLDS.

Why did Matheny go to Neshek in the bottom of the 8th? He only had an ERA of over 10 in his last four games. Why put him in when we have a chance to take this home and win it in one? And its not like there weren't better options. Neshek is the new Mujica.
That might be the series changer for this NLDS too.

Tonight is gonna be a big night in National League baseball!

BKB

Chicken Dinner
10-06-2014, 09:37 AM
Pitching hasn't been the problem and you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. Posey, up next, had hit Zimmermann hard all night and Storen has been filthy all year. You can't second guess too much just because it didn't work out this time. The bottom line is that you have to score more than 3 runs in 27 innings of baseball.

Buckrub
10-06-2014, 10:51 AM
You're like my wife. She sits there and says "Why is X still in?" and "Why don't they pull Y"?

She thinks every relief pitcher can pitch 10 innings every night and still be available the next night, and the next and the next. She just can't stand to see our pitchers get hit, so she wants 'em OUT OF THERE, and new guy in.

Playoff SERIES have more than one game. Is one game important? Yes. But you can't burn your bullpen until it gets to "do or die" time. You can't just look at the here and now every time. And you can't leave a guy in on sentiment. He WAS doing good? So what, he's out of gas NOW!

Neshek had been an All Star. He had been surprising them all year. They are now figuring him out, and he has an 85 mph fastball, just comes at you funny. Focus on the ball, and BAM. He didn't have a team last winter. Cards gave him a shot. He won a lot of games for us.

You'll gripe about Rosie too. He won't be automatic, like he always isn't, and you'll say "CLOSE WITH SOMEONE ELSE". You guys think there are 50 pitchers on the roster and each is Superman.

That said, I lick my lips at Storen and Clippard. Man we crushed them.

WHY? I don't know why. "Why" Questions are not done on Monday around here. Try again later. Just Cause.

BarryBobPosthole
10-06-2014, 11:02 AM
Rosie is fine if you don't mind the closer loading the bases first before he strikes out the side. I think that is one area where Matheny is learning his chops, and that is managing pitching. There was no reason for Mujica to burn out like he did but he did. all because he was grossly overused. And overused doesn't just mean pitching until they get a dead arm, it also about the opposition seeing you too much, which I agree is Neshek's problem. That's why I don't like gimicky pitchers. He flat wore Rosenthal out this year and you saw what rest did for him in game one.

And yeah, I really did think teams carried 50 pitchers. that is me who knows absolutely nothing about the game of baseball.

Sorry to have bothered you sire, with my complaints.

BKB

Buckrub
10-06-2014, 11:07 AM
Curmudgeon.

And..........I truly don't get your obsession with hating ESPN. They bring a ton of sports. They are the sole broadcasters that broadcast anything in 1080p. Your TV's capabilities in that area are worthless save for ESPN. They have multiple channels. They broadcast things you can't see elsewhere. There's a Texas channel, PAC 12 Channel, Big 10 Channel, Notre Dame Channel, and now SEC Channel, so why you hate SEC having a channel is beyond me.

I conclude that it's the commentators. Yet, not one word about Vern Lundquist and Gary Dumbass. Gary actually said, quite calmly within a 3 minute span, that the way to beat Alabama was two completely different, mutually exclusive things. They are truly idiots, and CBS spends all day advertising their own shows, none of which I'd watch if you held a gun to my head. At least ESPN talks sports.

And maybe I've learned a technique that eludes you, I don't know. I can watch a game and totally ignore the words being spoken most of the time. Wife says "What did they mean by that?" and I say "I dunno, wasn't listening, I'm focusing on the game". I watch like I'm at the game. I only listen if they're telling me something I can't find out otherwise. They lost me at blonde sideline idiots who ask the stupidest questions since a Presidential Debate.

Thus, I love ESPN. I have a TV for two reasons and every once in a while a third. I have a TV to watch the Cardinals (I DO listen to FSMW announcers, they're good) and the Razorbacks. On occasion I'll watch other sports. The third reason is the Weather Channel, something I watch about 8 times a year. The rest of the channels are worthless. I just called Direct and had all the movie channels removed, and reduced my package. But I got to have SEC, ESPN, and FSMW. The rest are 95% worthless.

I have also discovered that I have been wrongfully accused of being the Site Curmudgeon for many years. Posty and Thump are truly World Class Curmudgeons. They're just such bullies that no one challenges them. I hereby challenge these two Curmudgeons to stop trying to hypocritically point out my Curmudgeon-ness.

Buckrub
10-06-2014, 03:48 PM
P.S.
Chicken Dinner, was that Juan Williams sitting right behind home plate? If so, why didn't he go sit in the handicapped section with his friend Krauthammer??

:)

P.S.
Why all the empty seats? Good grief! High dollar seats, upper deck, lots of empty seats! Unheard of!

Chicken Dinner
10-07-2014, 07:48 AM
We can't all be the Lake Wobegone of baseball towns like St. Louis.

Buckrub
10-07-2014, 10:41 AM
Well why not? You got way more folks.

And was that Juan or not?

Chicken Dinner
10-07-2014, 11:19 AM
Lots of reasons, some of them good and some of them not. (I would never have left FWIW.) One thing you need to recognize is that we've only had baseball for 10 years after nothing for over two generations. The fan base is good and growing. However, it doesn't have the experience/history of teams like the Cardinals yet. It's also a local fan base as opposed to a regional fan base like the Cardinals and Braves. Yet, they still averaged almost 32k per game which is something like 11th or 12th overall.

As for Juan Williams, I didn't notice him. But, I'm only a junior notice.