PDA

View Full Version : More USPS Tracking Funnies (for no reason other than to mess with Thump)

Buckrub
10-13-2014, 03:28 PM
Ordered a 32g SDHC card from Amazon. Cheaper than local, etc. Tracking my order today it says these two things:

1. OUT FOR DELIVERY
2. Last entry: October 13, 2014, 1:26 am, Fedex Smartpost Reno NV US Package arrived at a carrier facility

I had no idea I'd moved to Reno!!!

Thumper
10-13-2014, 04:45 PM
Only you could end up with that message Buckster. What makes it even more intriguing is that neither FedEx nor USPS delivers on Columbus Day. ;)

Buckrub
10-13-2014, 04:48 PM
SEE? That's why it tickled me. This is a Fedex "smartpost" which means "We, FedEx, don't particularly care to ship little packages so even though the seller used us, we're just gonna give it to the post office".

My point is NOT that the USPS won't deliver it. I'm sure they will. But the fact that the tracking info provided by USPS is conflicting, wrong (as usual), and meaningless.

And no, it ain't just me. Everyone who tries to track stuff using USPS says the same thing.

Thumper
10-13-2014, 04:59 PM
USPS must like me. :D

I just peeked at my eBay file to see how many packages I've shipped through USPS the past two years. Here's my report:

Total transactions: 1053

I've lost 3 packages ... one disappeared between Jacksonville, Florida and Erlanger, Kentucky ... the other two were lost overseas after the P.O. "handed them off". I must be living right! :D

Buckrub
10-13-2014, 05:02 PM
As always, we are talking about two different things. Either that, or you're just being obtuse because you're tired!!!! :)

I didn't say I didn't get my packages.

I said I can't trust their enroute tracking info..............it's always wrong.

Thumper
10-13-2014, 05:13 PM
I guess what confused me is you said you tracked your order TODAY and it was out for delivery. Now you say you received it, but there is no mail delivery today (Columbus Day). So I suppose you got it last week and the tracking is super screwed up. As I said previously ... this could only happen to you. I think they're messin' with you due to all the negative things you've posted on the internet. :D

I guess these quotes in two different posts is what has me all cornfuzzled. I thought you already had your packages.

I didn't say I didn't get my packages.

My point is NOT that the USPS won't deliver it. I'm sure they will.

Yep, we seem to be on different pages quite a bit ... can you see where/why I got confused?

Niner
10-13-2014, 05:16 PM
The "at a carrier facility" does not mean it was delivered, it means it is en-route, and is at a carrier facility.

BarryBobPosthole
10-13-2014, 05:18 PM
Here's what I don't understand. Why would anyone ship something like a flash card in the first damned place? Any company with half a brain would fulfill the order somewhere close to the buyer and ship it from there locally. Maybe that makes too much sense I dunno.

And in honor of Columbus Day I think I'll just go and randomly travel around and if I see something I like, I'll friggin take it!

Happy Columbus Day!

BKB

Buckrub
10-13-2014, 05:22 PM
I guess what confused me is you said you tracked your order TODAY and it was out for delivery. Now you say you received it, but there is no mail delivery today (Columbus Day). So I suppose you got it last week and the tracking is super screwed up. As I said previously ... this could only happen to you. I think they're messin' with you due to all the negative things you've posted on the internet. :D

I guess these quotes in two different posts is what has me all cornfuzzled. I thought you already had your packages.

I get so tickled at this place. Y'all accuse me of not reading.

A) I do not currently have my package, never said I did anywhere.

B) I went to Amazon to check status of my order. It said shipped. I clicked "track package". I THEN got two conflicting pieces of info. It said that it was "out for delivery", which I knew was untrue since today is not a USPS delivery day, and it also said that its current status is that it's in Reno.

I then posted that USPS' tracking system is unreliable, wrong, and misleading.

Then you went off on a tangent about how you always get your packages and I'm different somehow, and misquoting what I said, and..........um......

I give up (twice)!!! :)

Buckrub
10-13-2014, 05:24 PM
Here's what I don't understand. Why would anyone ship something like a flash card in the first damned place? Any company with half a brain would fulfill the order somewhere close to the buyer and ship it from there locally. Maybe that makes too much sense I dunno.

And in honor of Columbus Day I think I'll just go and randomly travel around and if I see something I like, I'll friggin take it!

Happy Columbus Day!

BKB

Because Amazon doesn't always exist. Sometimes they are just a clearing house for various companies that advertise on the internet. So if you buy from Amazon, sometimes it says, clearly, that you are buying this item from "Joe's Electronics" which is in California. That's who ships it, because that's who you bought it from. No local folks involved.

Thumper
10-13-2014, 05:48 PM
We were just on two different pages and it snowballed Buckster. On your FIRST post, you showed it arrived in Reno, Nevada at 1:26 this morning and it's currently "out for delivery". You then "jokingly" said, you didn't realize you'd moved to Reno.

I took that to mean you were saying the package was "lost" ... being delivered to "someone" in Reno.

When you said "you didn't say you didn't get your packages" I assumed (there's that word ... assumed!) you already received them ..

Then you added "you're sure they WILL deliver them" ... which added even more to MY confusion.

Can you see the "snowball" effect? I get it now ... I think. ;)

Buckrub
10-13-2014, 06:39 PM
I, uh.....well, yeah, I, um...........er........well, in a word, no.

But hey. I'm probably not sane. So, there's that.

:snorting

BarryBobPosthole
10-13-2014, 06:44 PM
I like it. The 'Snowball Effect'.

Can I steal that?

Stolen.

BKB

Captain
10-13-2014, 06:50 PM
I swear even a Bucky/Thumper shipping thread get spun into talking about Ball! What team is snowball anyway. ;)

Thumper
10-13-2014, 07:15 PM
I like it. The 'Snowball Effect'.

Can I steal that?

Stolen.

BKB

Ha! Ummm, I can't take credit for inventing the term ... I've used it forever. You "should" know it from the electronics world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowball_effect

Snowball effect is a figurative term for a process that starts from an initial state of small significance and builds upon itself, becoming larger (graver, more serious), and also perhaps potentially dangerous or disastrous (a vicious circle, a "spiral of decline"), though it might be beneficial instead (a virtuous circle). This is a very common cliché in cartoons and modern theatrics and it is also used in Psychology.

The common analogy is with the rolling of a small ball of snow down a snow-covered hillside. As it rolls the ball will pick up more snow, gaining more mass and surface area, and picking up even more snow and momentum as it rolls along.

In aerospace engineering, it is used to describe the multiplication effect in an original weight saving. A reduction in the weight of the fuselage will require less lift, meaning the wings can be smaller. Hence less thrust is required and therefore smaller engines, resulting in a greater weight saving than the original reduction. This iteration can be repeated several times, although the decrease in weight for each iteration decreases.

The startup process of a feedback electronic oscillator, when power to the circuit is switched on, is a technical application of the snowball effect. Electronic noise is amplified by the oscillator circuit and returned to its input filtered to contain primarily the selected (desired) frequency, gradually getting stronger in each cycle, until a steady-state oscillation is established, when the circuit parameters satisfy the Barkhausen stability criterion.

BarryBobPosthole
10-13-2014, 07:40 PM
That's just a yankee way for saying 'it'll swarm on ya'. Like the first time you ever broke a starter pull cord on a lawn mower and you took the top off and took out the spring.
that kind of swarmin' on ya.
BKB

Thumper
10-13-2014, 07:57 PM
Ha ha! Trust me ... I've "been there, done that" a bazillion times. Running 5 pressure washer pumps under commercial conditions (constant use) ... you wouldn't believe how many pull cords I've replaced over the years! No matter how careful you are ... the odds are NOT in your favor that one will never get away from ya'! They'll fer sure "swarm on ya'!" ;)

Thumper
10-13-2014, 08:01 PM
I swear even a Bucky/Thumper shipping thread get spun into talking about Ball! What team is snowball anyway. ;)

I think they usually play against the Powder Puff team Cappy. ;)

Buckrub
10-13-2014, 08:05 PM
Such myopic folk. Not erudite like many of us.

Captain
10-13-2014, 08:32 PM
I swear we need to change the name of this place to www.goodballtalk.com.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thumper
10-13-2014, 08:35 PM
Such myopic folk. Not erudite like many of us.

Huh? Ummm, to whom are you referring, sir?

Thumper
10-13-2014, 08:38 PM
I swear we need to change the name of this place to www.goodballtalk.com.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Hey ... I have good balls Cappy. I had 'em checked out recently when I found that lump ... after an ultrasound, the doc said "all is good!" :D

Buckrub
10-13-2014, 09:08 PM
That'd beat www.goodnascarcircles.com........even though that's my first post about such things! :)