PDA

View Full Version : It's Apron Day

Buckrub
10-15-2014, 09:29 AM
This is a cooking thread, sorta. So 1/2 of you can ignore it. So can the other 1/2.

Gotta cook today for a week in advance. It's "ever man for himself" at deer camp, and I got tired of eating leftover pizza and chicken that I pick up on the way there. So, I'm making......

Ribs on the grill for Thurs night.
Shrimp Pasta for Friday and Saturday night, with french bread.
Chicken Spaghetti (my long, drawn out recipe) for Monday and Tuesday night.
Taking Hot Dogs also.
Pasta Salad with Ham for lunch whenever, it keeps well.

Coming back Wednesday long enough to see Mama (who will be home next Tuesday), and take her to the airport for a 6:00 a.m. Thursday flight to Colorado Springs. Then back to camp till the next Monday.

Recipes on request.

LJ3
10-15-2014, 09:36 AM
tell me about your chicken spaghetti. My Mom used to make me a cacciatore, meets the south, meets pasta, thing she winged and I have gotten close, but never been able to make it just like she did. So I'm innnersted in anything with chicken and tomato sauce.

Buckrub
10-15-2014, 09:38 AM
I actually tried about 4 different chicken spaghetti recipes till I found this one. Everyone that has eaten this demands the recipe.

Chicken Spaghetti

* 5 boneless chicken breasts, cut up
* 12 ounces very thin spaghetti, broken up
* 1 box chicken broth
*1/2 cup oil
* 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
* 1/2 cup yellow or orange bell pepper, chopped
* 1 cup celery, chopped
* 1 small jar diced pimiento
* 2-3 small cans mushrooms, chopped, reserve the liquid in cans
* 4 tablespoons butter
* 3 tablespoons flour
* liquid from mushrooms
* grated cheese

Preparation:

Stew the chicken, and cut into bite sized pieces.

Using the broth, finishing out with water to 2 1/2 quarts, cook the spaghetti until done. Save the broth for making white sauce.

Using 1/2 cup oil, saute the peppers and celery and set aside.

Drain mushrooms, reserving the liquid. Make white sauce with butter, flour, and liquid from mushrooms. Stir sauce, put in microwave for 20 seconds, stir more.

Drain spaghetti and combine with cut up chicken into a large bowl. Add sauteed vegetables, pimiento, mushrooms, and white sauce. Mix well. Pour into casserole dishes. Either freeze or bake casserole dishes.

Bake at 350 degrees until bubbly and done. Top with grated cheese and put back in oven till cheese melts. The more cheese, the better.

Hint: Double amount of white sauce, using more broth.

Chicken Dinner
10-15-2014, 09:39 AM
Do the other fellas at least look longingly at your food when you're slurping it down?

Buckrub
10-15-2014, 09:43 AM
Yes.

The really fat one says "Did you make enough for your friends?"

And I say "Yes" and just keep on eating and not sharing.

BarryBobPosthole
10-15-2014, 09:46 AM
My only question is......are those RED hot dogs?

My grandson turned up his nose the other day at an all beef Oscar Meyer hotdog that grandma had put in front of him. I told her he just wanted a red hot dog. She looked at me like I'd sworn or something.

People don't realize the beauty of a cheap red hot dog with lips and nipples and vaginas and so forth in 'em.

BKB

Buckrub
10-15-2014, 09:47 AM
Of course they are red hot dogs. I had to scour the selection to find 'em, but I did.

Thumper
10-15-2014, 10:07 AM
Do you guys go there to hunt? Or to watch FOX News and eat? Heck, take a case of MRE's and get some hunting done! ;)

Buckrub
10-15-2014, 10:11 AM
No thanks.

I eat wherever I am.

So do you.

This is stuff that I'll stick in the refrigerator and eat on during the week. Just heat in the microwave. I bet even you could do that.

Big Muddy
10-15-2014, 10:15 AM
Great chicken spaghetti REQUIRES several cans of Rotel....the kind with the green chili peppers already in it.

Thumper
10-15-2014, 10:17 AM
Satellite TV? Refrigerator? Microwave? Is this a deer camp or a YMCA Day Camp? :D

BarryBobPosthole
10-15-2014, 10:19 AM
I miss deer camp stew. Usually on day one somebody would kill a doe and we'd throw both shoulders in a big pot along with about every kind of canned vegetable you could imagine and it'd get put on a burner on an old Coleman camp stove and we'd add seasonings as it went along and before long we'd have about the best friggin stew you've ever burned your tongue on. You could walk ten friggin miles on a couple of bowls of that stuff.

BKB

Thumper
10-15-2014, 10:55 AM
Now THAT sounds like deer camp!