PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of food

BarryBobPosthole
10-15-2014, 05:08 PM
I just put a tri-tip roast in the oven on high temp at 4:00 and it's already smelling good. Once I learned this method for that cut of meat, its about the only thing I do now. Coat it in EVOO, salt and pepper it (kosher salt, coarse pepper) put it in a 500 degrees for ten minutes, then turn the oven off and wait about two hours. Best larrupin piece of cow you ever wrapped your big old soulful lips on.

BKB

Egghead
10-15-2014, 05:14 PM
Imma have to try that!

Chicken Dinner
10-15-2014, 06:27 PM
Just ten minutes and let it sit? Wow! I had someone do a standing rib roast sort if like that and it was amazing. I don't think they turned the oven all the way off though. Just way down low. I might try something like that on the BGE. That baby really retains the heat after you shut her down.

Egghead
10-15-2014, 06:37 PM
CD, my wife got a similar recipe from my mom that is the bomb, and it does involve oven all the way off and sit for a spell - any anyone that steps near the over once it is off gets a warning about opening the oven!

Buckrub
10-15-2014, 07:09 PM
A what roast???

LW
10-15-2014, 07:35 PM
Gotta try that.

BarryBobPosthole
10-15-2014, 07:47 PM
Its off the 'bottom sirloin'. Its kind of a cheap cut, or used to be. Nothing is cheap any more. Its a little leaner than most other roasts and you have to take a little extra care not to overcook it. This roasting method works great on it. It has a really strong beefy flavor, even more so than a filet I think. Its pretty good on the grill to but I haven't mastered not making it too dry.

Try it sometime. Its not something I'd eat every day but its a damn good cut of meat for something different some time.

BKB

LW
10-15-2014, 07:53 PM
Im curious about seasoning alternatives. Maybe some garlic cloves pushed into it or montreal steak seasoning.

BarryBobPosthole
10-15-2014, 07:55 PM
That'd work. This cut has a real strong flavor so not much else is needed other than S&P. Instead, make a nice beefy gravy and spoon over it. That enhances the flavor instead of covering it up.

BKB

LJ3
10-16-2014, 09:08 AM
Sounds pretty dang good. Does that cut have a fat cap on it? Doesn't sound like it.

I have a new fancy schmancy double wall oven I want to start putting to the test soon. two kinds of convection and other craziness. I gotta RTFM for fucks sake.

BarryBobPosthole
10-16-2014, 09:28 AM
Nope, no fat cap. If you buy one, really look them over good though. You can usually find one with a little marbling, but you have to watch for the gristle in this cut depending on the butcher. The one last night tuned out excellent. Two hours with the oven off will give you a nice medium rare finish.
And like Egghead said don't open the damned oven door! Verboten!
BKB

LW
10-19-2014, 06:24 PM
Tried it as instructed. Fantastic. And easy.

BarryBobPosthole
10-19-2014, 07:21 PM
Glad it worked out!

Beans, taters, and mexican cornbread at our casa tonight for supper. And iced tea. I may need a nap before bed.

BKB

LW
10-19-2014, 07:37 PM
Wifes pulling a homamade coconut cream pie out right now.

BarryBobPosthole
10-19-2014, 07:59 PM
Oh man. I need me one of tose.

Pies I mean.

BKB