PDA

View Full Version : The Inmates are running the asylum.

Chicken Dinner
10-16-2014, 08:31 AM
Apparently, the CDC approved this second nurse flying home from Cleveland even though she had a low grade fever. The next day she was diagnosed with Ebola and now the CDC is considering asking the TSA to put everyone on their "watch list" on the "no fly" list. Some here may disagree, but this has been a cluster fuck from the get go.

Captain
10-16-2014, 08:41 AM
Apparently, the CDC approved this second nurse flying home from Cleveland even though she had a low grade fever. The next day she was diagnosed with Ebola and now the CDC is considering asking the TSA to put everyone on their "watch list" on the "no fly" list. Some here may disagree, but this has been a cluster fuck from the get go.

I totally agree. From bringing the first aid worker in to Atlanta to now...

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Bwana
10-16-2014, 09:05 AM
Not only should those folks be on the no-fly zone but we should also not be allowing people into the country from known hot spots.

Captain
10-16-2014, 09:09 AM
Exactly

Chicken Dinner
10-16-2014, 09:09 AM
Just saw an article this morning that the US Embassy's in the three impacted countries are still processing 100 visas a day for non-US nationals.

Captain
10-16-2014, 09:12 AM
Just saw an article this morning that the US Embassy's in the three impacted countries are still processing 100 visas a day for non-US nationals.

That sure make a LOT of sense

BarryBobPosthole
10-16-2014, 09:33 AM
There's been ebola breakouts since the 70's and no travel restrictions in any of the cases. and don't try to tell me there's more travelers now than in those other times. they say it will make the situation worse and I believe them.

We keep wanting to blame 'The CDC' like they're some friggin entity made up of robots or something. They're not. they're humans and human beings make mistakes. I don't know who approved that lady flying but I'm sure we'll find out soon and why. It was a stupid deal to not have her get tested first. and if we don't have an easy test for it after this many years of it being a problem, them something is very wrong with our medicine.

I do think that the CDC underestimated how quickly this could get out of hand. The expectation was that hospitals could quickly implement the protocols and it just hasn't happened that way.

BKB

LJ3
10-16-2014, 09:51 AM
According to Fax News, I'll be dead by lunch time.

Seriously, though. That plane made another 4 flights before being taken out of service. I'm not a fear mongerer or alarmist. That's what? 800 people that could have touched a surface and been infected.

It's like the shampoo commercial.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TgDxWNV4wWY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buckrub
10-16-2014, 10:01 AM
I'm just glad I can always find refuge in Tulsa, where it'll never hit.

Chicken Dinner
10-16-2014, 10:35 AM
From what I understand, this outbreak is much more widespread (even just in West Africa and regardless of its spread to NA and Europe) than the previous out breaks. So, it's not accurate to compare. Yes, humans make mistakes and the institutions they're involved with need to be held accountable.

Chicken Dinner
10-16-2014, 10:56 AM
According to the CDC, this is the worst Ebola outbreak in history. Interestingly enough, they're now in the process of notifying all the passengers who flew on the same flight as the most recent victim. Even more interesting to me, they aren't notifying the passengers on the five subsequent flights this plane was used on that day before the airline was notified by the CDC and took it out of service. Still, our government insists we should remain calm and they have this all under control. To quote a (usually) pretty smart guy, "Dumbassery abounds."

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/outbreaks/2014-west-africa/index.html

Thumper
10-16-2014, 11:52 AM
Just last week, I traveled to and from the Dallas/Ft. Worth Airport ... TWICE! I was curious as to how people were going to react to Dallas.

I noticed some people carried "handi-wipes" and would wipe things down that they would be touching. Some were actually wearing surgical masks. Most went about their business in a "normal" fashion. I used the restroom and noticed the usual ... a high percentage of dufes go in, pee or take a dump and walk out without washing their hands.

Lynn and I are both "hand washers" and do so many times during an average day, especially before eating. We go out to eat often with close friends of ours and visit their home regularly. We have never ... not once ... seen either of them wash their hands before a meal, either at home or at a restaurant. Now get this, she's a frigging NURSE!

I'm not sure this has anything to do with anything ... but flying in close quarters with strangers and going through Dallas twice in one week ... I became a bit of a "people watcher" out of curiosity as to how some were reacting to this Ebola scare. I can sure see how it could spread if conditions were favorable for such a thing!

BarryBobPosthole
10-16-2014, 11:56 AM
That's one of the things I don't miss about business travel now that I don't do much of it any more and that is getting sick. I'm not sure if its quitting smoking or not flying very much or maybe even from working from home the past few years, but I hardly ever get sick any more {(knock on wood). I used to get sick at least twice a year and almost always was battling a sinus infection around Christmas break. I'm probably allergic to more shit than I've ever been in my life though. Now when I fly and they open the doors on the airplane, if it's Atlanta I could tell you without knowing where it was. My sinuses clamp shut in a minute.

BKB

Thumper
10-16-2014, 12:05 PM
It's even worse lately P-hole ... they've made seats smaller and crammed people closer together ... plus they've cut back the number of flights so that most planes are full these days. I was on four flights last week ... all were full but one ... there were three open seats the plane from Austin to Dallas. I don't know if three people missed the flight, changed flights or what ... but those flights were nothing more than flying sardine cans! They have the seats so close together now, there's no way to recline the seat anymore. That's why you're hearing of fights breaking out on flights these days .. they're making passengers as uncomfortable as possible and tempers flair. They actually charge extra for exit row or bulkhead seats now ... as well as any seat close to the front! It's reached a point of ridiculousness these days.

Buckrub
10-16-2014, 12:06 PM
Wife flies through Dallas next Thursday morning.

Niner
10-16-2014, 12:25 PM
Come on now....it's not as though Charles Campion was carrying "Captain Trips", all over the place.

OR IS IT??????

If this were a novel or a made-for-TV-movie, people prolly wouldn't believe it.

Just remember....The Government is here to help you...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/M7MSNEbl-hA?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

quercus alba
10-16-2014, 12:52 PM
The Stand was great, they need to remake it with the technology we have now.

Why is this not all over Cnn?

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/10/14/city-houston-demands-pastors-turn-over-sermons/

BarryBobPosthole
10-16-2014, 12:53 PM

LJ3
10-16-2014, 01:09 PM
Hehehehehe

quercus alba
10-16-2014, 01:27 PM
nothing like a good viral cleansing to lower the unemployment rate and strengthen the economy

LJ3
10-16-2014, 01:32 PM
I heard Haliburton has the antidote and vaccine rights.

BarryBobPosthole
10-16-2014, 01:40 PM
No silly. Not Haliburton. Monsanto.

BKB

Buckrub
10-16-2014, 02:04 PM
Clinton, AR "hospital" (a town of about 2,000 people about 30 miles north of me, not much of a 'hospital') now says they are testing a patient for Ebola. He was working on an oil rig in Nigeria a few weeks ago.......................

Buckrub
10-16-2014, 02:20 PM
http://www.arkansasmatters.com/story/d/story/hospital-in-clinton-on-precautionary-lockdown/27559/lESb69-xjEiFcv4NLds1OQ

LJ3
10-16-2014, 04:25 PM
We have a possible patient in Loudoun county now that was transported to the hospital a few hours ago. I hope it's chicken little nonsense but it may not be.

Captain
10-16-2014, 05:25 PM
Folks are his thing can potentially go from "everyone stay calm we got it under control" to "OH Shit" in the matter of days.
And having a joking or non serious attitude about it is not smart...
How about the luggage handlers on that flight? The potential that the cat is already out of the bag is real.

Big Muddy
10-16-2014, 11:56 PM
I got close family and friends who work for the USPS, FedX, and UPS....they all say they handle numerous packages and letters from Nigeria, Liberia, etc., every day of the week....they all say they are, now, literally bathing in Germ-X and Chlorox sani-wipes.

Captain
10-17-2014, 07:15 AM
I got close family and friends who work for the USPS, FedX, and UPS...

Do they argue over who's got the best tracking system, and which one looses the most packages?

BarryBobPosthole
10-17-2014, 08:24 AM
Folks are his thing can potentially go from "everyone stay calm we got it under control" to "OH Shit" in the matter of days.
And having a joking or non serious attitude about it is not smart...
How about the luggage handlers on that flight? The potential that the cat is already out of the bag is real.

Captain, you're right about ebola not being a joking matter. Things are about to get really real in Africa and its going to screw up a lot of stuff there. But if its not okay to joke about it, then it oughta be not okay to politicize it either. Now its on the lips of every political blogger on the internet. And its just as sick as making a joke about it.

Funny thing is, I don't hear anyone calling for 'boots on the ground' to fight Ebola. If its so deadly and a real potential threat to the US, then that's the enemy we need to be fighting with everything we've got. 10,000 a week is what the WHO is predicting. that's a lot of folks. Make ISIS look like a bunch of pikers.

BKB

BarryBobPosthole
10-17-2014, 08:28 AM
And another thing. This fucking nurse that took the flight. I don't know about you but don't you think a little common sense might have been called for on her part? I know its CDC bashing time and all that, but for heaven's sakes, I would expect a nurse that was treating an EBOLA patient would have enough sense to know that its not cool to go jump on a flight if she was having symptoms like she said she was. where's her accountability in this? where's the hospital's accountability? where's the state of texas' accountability? I have lived here in this country for 60 years and I've never seen one CDC employee in my entire life.

Geeze this is stupid.

BKB

Captain
10-17-2014, 08:32 AM
Everything that involves spending citizens money and or their health is political, but not everything is a joke....
Would you rather the citizens and or elected officials have no say or be allowed to express an opinion? Just one person making the decisions?
I'm trying hard to understand what you meant by it being politicized? It HAS to be. Sometimes the conservative way is the right way and sometimes the liberal way is correct but it has to be hashed out.

Captain
10-17-2014, 08:36 AM
I hold your hand and nod yes with you on the individual accountability of taking the plane trip as well as others.
And it is those type stupid decisions that is gonna let this thing get out of hand

LJ3
10-17-2014, 08:56 AM
I hold your hand and nod yes with you on the individual accountability of taking the plane trip as well as others.
And it is those type stupid decisions that is gonna let this thing get out of han

Use hand sanitzer!

I agree that this is something that can get out of control quickly. I do think they actual danger is much lower than other flu strains that kills thousands of Americans. But that is as it stand right now. Like Larke said, it can change pretty quickly. It's not an airborne threat BUT, and it's a huge but (like Jimmy), if that nurse sneezed on the plane, that virus can and will spread because of it.

BarryBobPosthole
10-17-2014, 09:03 AM
If the purpose of the political 'discussion' was to find an answer I might agree with you Larke. But what has happened is politicians are spreading fear to further their agenda. that's a shitload more cynical of an attitude than making a joke about it if you ask me.

Personally, I think Ebola spreading to the US is the least of our worries. An entire continent on earth getting economically and politically destabilized worries me much more. This could start WWIII. and I'm dead serious when I say that.

BKB

LJ3
10-17-2014, 09:13 AM
it is likely that the span of time between 1970-2025 will probably be the most interesting time in history. In the context of history being taught to high school and college students in the year 2050 or so.

Buckrub
10-17-2014, 09:17 AM
Use hand sanitzer!

I agree that this is something that can get out of control quickly. I do think they actual danger is much lower than other flu strains that kills thousands of Americans. But that is as it stand right now. Like Larke said, it can change pretty quickly. It's not an airborne threat BUT, and it's a huge but (like Jimmy), if that nurse sneezed on the plane, that virus can and will spread because of it.

For the fourth time, the flu is also not airborne...

airborne means the spores can live in the air...........but the flu, and ebola, are transmitted by sneezing (explosive droplets can go 50 feet), wiping your hands on a newspaper than another guy picks it up, shopping carts, you name it. Both are easily transmittable. Hiding behind "it's not airborne" is disingenuous.

LJ3
10-17-2014, 09:26 AM
I wasn't hiding behind that. I only push back when someone says you would have to bathe in ebola laden feces to contract the virus :)

Buckrub
10-17-2014, 09:32 AM
I agree that almost all politicians spread fear, b/s, lies, innuendo, and any other thing to further their agenda. But heck, everyone I know does the same thing. Folks have become divided, and their bias shows in almost every talk they have with anyone about anything. Leaving that out entirely....well, I just don't see it from anyone. Somehow, some way, every talk, every idle chit chat, sooner or later turns to "I'm right and you're wrong". Some have even adopted it as the main way of poking fun and joking.

No one I know right now, is even slightly capable of admitting to being wrong. I've had that affliction for many years, and I'm TRYING to see the light. But as I seem to be inching in that direction, everyone else is jumping over logs in the other direction. And it's on every subject.

My phone rings off the hook. Nonstop. Politicians have learned how SS7 and the phone system works, and display false numbers, lately mostly cell phone numbers, to get you to answer. NRA even does it. To me, that makes you a liar before I even listen to you. So, I don't answer. But every one of them want to talk.........NOT about what their hopes are......NOT about what they want to accomplish.......but about how bad the 'other' guy is. And what's sad is, they're right. He IS bad!

So.......then it gets blurry because there are things in life that are too important to compromise on. So how do you handle those? It gets hard, because if you defend absolute truth, you too are labeled as only having an agenda.

I've said it for years......there is black, there is white, there is gray.....and wisdom is knowing the difference.

But you can't just hide behind the hypocrisy of others on an important subject. If it's important, it's important, and worthy of discussion. If others politicize it, so be it. They can answer for themselves. I believe this disease, and how our elected and appointed officials are handling it, is worthy of such discussion. If a bunch of blowhards want to 'politicize' it, then I ignore them. That's why I usually avoid TV news. It's sound bites and 2 second b/s and it's not possible to accurately figure out the truth. It's why I pay an exorbitant price to still read a newspaper. Even then, I don't read the front page unless my wife points something out to me, or something really, really interesting is happening.

But I'm convinced that folks' inability to simply say "You know, I am wrong on that one" is killing us.

BarryBobPosthole
10-17-2014, 09:48 AM
I'm not sure what the airborne thing has to do with anything other than its just another log on the panic fire. But since we're comparing ebola to other virus caused flus, look at the H1N1 and SARS pandemics just not that many years ago. H1N1 I believe came form MExico didn't it? Did we place a travel ban on people flying in from MExico? No. Did people cross the border in a wave and infect Americans? No. Do some reading on what happened in the Ukraine during the H1N1 epidemic and you'll see what politicizing something like this results in. they locked the whole goddamned country down. And it prevented nothing other than it solidified the power of the people in office. Did we put a travel ban on people coming in detect SARS? No. and look at TB, which is highly contagious. there are MILLIONS of people with TB in Africa and Asia. MILLIONS. And its a very contagious disease.
What is needed to solve this Ebola crap is common sense. We need a vaccine. Some pharma company will develop one I'm sure and the antigovernment conspiracy theorists will again come out of the woodwork like they did with SARS and H1N1. Remember when everyone looked to the government to produce enough vaccine for everyone and it was a big political hoo hah about how stupid the government is?

Same shit, different day.

Calm the fuck down.

BKB

Buckrub
10-17-2014, 09:58 AM
If anyone is calmed up between the two of us, I'd have to say it ain't me! :rockon

I didn't say I was calmed up. I said that you simply can't hide behind "it ain't airborne so it won't spread"...........that's all. Airborne is not understood by most folks. I am NOT comparing Ebola to the flu..........but you seem to be. Ebola is Michael Jordan. The flu is the 7th grade girl shooting hoops in the back yard. There's your comparison.

We need a vaccine??? Is THAT your hope?? That's what's gonna save us???

Crap son. That's crazy. Ain't no one gonna develop a vaccine. Good grief. And you can't compare fatal hemmoraghic fever with bird flu. Well, not validly anyway. Some similarities. But.......this is way more deadly. This is bad stuff. This is worthy of fear.

And the government IS stupid. Never ever have they done anything that wasn't stupid. And it's progressive. They get stupider. Geez (again).

BarryBobPosthole
10-17-2014, 10:09 AM
I know you will disagree, but developing a vaccine is the ONLY long term solution to the Ebola epidemic. And if it becomes a pandemic, then it becomes even more critical.

and I used the comparison of the h1n1 and SARS virus because they are transmitted much the same way as ebola. In that sense they are more on an equal basis.

BKB

BKB

Buckrub
10-17-2014, 10:20 AM
Well, I HOPE they develop one. But they've had quite a while already.

And yes, I already said a bunch of times that ebola and flu's are transmitted the same way.

Chicken Dinner
10-17-2014, 10:32 AM
Oh, they'll develop a vaccine now that white people are getting it.

LJ3
10-17-2014, 10:44 AM
Boom... and CD slides in with his usual succinct noticing :)

Big Muddy
10-17-2014, 11:02 AM
Oh, they'll develop a vaccine now that white people are getting it.

Jesse's and Al's exact accusation about two days, ago. ;)

LJ3
10-17-2014, 11:06 AM
Fear mongering and politics aside (or as aside as they can be)

Ebola is a virus
It can be spread easily. From surfaces, sneezes, bodily fluids, physical contact, bedding, etc.
It is far more deadly than other strains of influenza viruses - other viruses kill the very old and very young. This one kills anyone.
The initial symptom is a low grade fever which millions of people get every single day that turn out to be innocuous
The virus can live on a surface for up to six days
From my personal calculations on recorded cases since 1976 the fatality rate is 67.3%

For me, that's enough to be pretty concerned about it. Especially since I live about 3 miles from a very congested international airport. Comparing that with what we've done with other threats isn't relevant to the facts, that's politics and opinion.

That's all I got to say about the subject.

Big Muddy
10-17-2014, 11:19 AM
I just got this in an email, so it's prolly false....;)

"""9 Reasons Why You Need To Calm The F*ck Down About Ebola In America"""

http://elitedaily.com/news/world/why-you-shouldnt-buy-into-the-ebola-hype/784344/

BarryBobPosthole
10-17-2014, 12:03 PM
Man. Shepard Smith friggin nailed it.

Can somebody tell me what age group Generation Y is? I must've missed out on that. X is what I thought we were up too. And what happens when we get to Z? No more generations or do we go to another naming system?

BKB

Chicken Dinner
10-17-2014, 12:11 PM
For the record, I'm not freaking out. I think it's highly unlikely that Ebola will create a wide spread problem in the US. I also think our public institutions have had their heads up their a$$es on this thing from the get go. As a result, innocent American are going to die unnecessarily. That pisses me off even if it's just a few of them. If turns out to be any of my loved ones, I'm going to rain down hellfire and damnation on some folks.

Big Muddy
10-17-2014, 12:28 PM
Gen·er·a·tion Y: noun

1. The generation born in the 1980s and 1990s, comprising primarily the children of the baby boomers and typically perceived as increasingly familiar with digital and electronic technology.

2. The generation of people born during the 1980s and early 1990s. The name is based on Generation X, the generation that preceded them.

Members of Generation Y are often referred to as “echo boomers” because they are the children of parents born during the baby boom (the “baby boomers”). Because children born during this time period have had constant access to technology (computers, cell phones) in their youth, they have required many employers to update their hiring strategy in order to incorporate updated forms of technology. Also called millennials, echo boomers, internet generation, iGen, net generation.

LJ3
10-17-2014, 12:52 PM
For the record, I'm not freaking out. I think it's highly unlikely that Ebola will create a wide spread problem in the US. I also think our public institutions have had their heads up their a$$es on this thing from the get go. As a result, innocent American are going to die unnecessarily. That pisses me off even if it's just a few of them. If turns out to be any of my loved ones, I'm going to rain down hellfire and damnation on some folks.

What Hank said. I don't freak out.

On a funny note. I just had lunch at the Pizza Hut buffet (don't judge). Usually blue collar dudes & fat nerds eat there. A very African looking dude walks in and you would have thought it was an EF Hutton commercial. I felt bad for the poor dude but at the same time it was pretty damn funny.

BarryBobPosthole
10-17-2014, 01:31 PM
Hi! I'm Cyprian Ukwende!

BKB

Big Muddy
10-17-2014, 01:42 PM
QUOTE-Leonard: """Usually blue collar dudes & fat nerds eat there."""

Ummmm, which group did you sit with, Leonard??? ;)

(Sorry, dude, you left yourself wide open for that one. ;) )

Thumper
10-17-2014, 02:31 PM
He was at the Yuppie table. ;)

Captain
10-17-2014, 02:53 PM
He was at the Yuppie table. ;)
Prolly drinking a Nancy-Boy beer... :D

fever which millions of people get

LJ3
10-17-2014, 02:55 PM
Gentlemen? table for two? Your stool is ready.