PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here need an Amazon Kindle?

Thumper
10-16-2014, 01:51 PM
I would assume it's an older model ... I don't know a thing about them. Somebody left it in the lobby at Lynn's hotel and it sat in their lost & found for about a year, but nobody ever claimed it. Lynn's boss gave it to her and I'm gonna list it on eBay. I don't know how many versions there are, but from what I can tell, it's a 2nd Generation. (?) I only say that because if I run the model # through eBay, that's what the listings say. It's a model # D00701 and the home page has "Kindle User's Guide 5th Edition listed, if that tells you anything. The home page shows the previous owner's name (but first name only) at the top. I assume that can be deleted/changed (?). There seems to be no password as far as I can tell as I've been playing with it and moving from screen to screen with no problem. There are 22 books archived.

It was in a nice Vera Bradley soft case, but I already sold that. :D (So I suppose it was well taken care of.)

I already had a charger for it (which I will include along with a mini USB cable). The battery came up with no problem and seems to be holding a full charge.

Anybody here interested before I list it?

BarryBobPosthole
10-16-2014, 01:55 PM
I'm not sure how you do it, but you need to contact amazon and register it before you can use the whispernet connection to download books. That might flush out the owner too.

BKB

Thumper
10-16-2014, 02:39 PM
Thanks Postie. I was wondering how that worked. I'll try that.

Thumper
10-16-2014, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the suggestion P-hole. I called Amazon and they said so much time had passed and it hasn't been reported lost or stolen, that they transferred me to the tech department and they instructed me on how to de-register it and reset it to factory default settings. So it now has a clean bill of health and can be registered by the future owner. Glad I said sumpin' here or somebody would have been stuck with a worthless device and would have probably been a bit pissed off!

I will say, before walking me through all the steps, they tried their best to convince me to "trade it in" for credit toward a new Kindle. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
10-16-2014, 03:34 PM
Good deal. I thought you might have to have Len jailbreak it for you.

BKB

Buckrub
10-16-2014, 03:38 PM
I'm embarrassed to say I don't even know how they work. I get it, that it's an online book. But I dunno how you pay for books or get them.

:stupid:

Thumper
10-16-2014, 03:46 PM
I've never used one either Bucky and am pretty clueless myownfineself. They asked if I had an Amazon account and I told them no, that Ive never used a Kindle. They then asked if I'd ever purchased anything through Amazon.com and I said yes. They then said, well you DO have an account then! So, I assume you make a purchase through Amazon, but I'm not sure how the books are downloaded onto the tablet.

I notice it has a little icon like a cell phone and this one shows three bars right now. It also has a wi-fi setting, so I assume you download from a website or sumpin' after purchase. I don't know.

I did mention to the tech guru that I was planning to sell it but don't think it's worth much. He told me the current market on this model is about $70, but I seriously doubt it's that high. Who knows? I'll research it when I get ready to list it.

Buckrub
10-16-2014, 03:52 PM
So......if I'm on WIFI (like at home).....I just buy a book at Amazon and download it and it's on the drive forever? So there is no connection cost or data usage???

A) How much are books, in general.......

B) if my assumption above is correct, how much do you want for it?

BarryBobPosthole
10-16-2014, 03:54 PM
The older version s came with mobile access to the Sprint Whispernet. You can't make calls on it or anything, its just a wireless connection to Amazon from the device. the early models also had a basic web browser but they weren't good for much. My wife has a Kindle Fire that has all of the up to date bells and whistles. I don't own a Kindle any more and just have a Kindle app on my Ipad that I use to read books on. You basically shop in the their online bookstore and when you find a title you like you buy it and it downloads to your kindle in about 20 seconds. Then you open it and read it. You can 'store' books on your Amazon cloud and only keep the ones you like on your actual device you want and they're available any time you want them. Its much better than ITunes because you have to have an Apple device to use stuff you've bought on ITunes and with Kindle all you need is the app and they work on about any device.
A handy way to read books. I still buy hard copies of books I really really like but you can find some awesome books on Kindle for real cheap. New titles typically run you ten or eleven bucks.

BKB

DeputyDog
10-16-2014, 04:08 PM
I had an older model until my son, who was about two at the time, threw it down a flight of stairs. I bought a kindle fire from a friend's mom and did the reset on it which allowed me to keep all the titles I'd already purchased.

Bucky, a lot of the "classics" are free and you can find a lot of titles for $0.99. Most of the new releases run between 10-20 bucks which is cheaper than most hard cover books.

DeputyDog
10-16-2014, 04:09 PM
I forgot the only negative about the older models is the screen is not lighted so you need some external light to read by.

Niner
10-16-2014, 07:13 PM
There's TONS of free books out there on the ol' web. I subscribe to an email thingy that sends me a list every day of low-to-no cost books.
Check out BookGorilla.com
I make it a "game" to never PAY for a book. I have gotten quite a few of them for free. My sister is a real book worm and has literally thousands of books downloaded that she paid nothing for.

Some public libraries will let you download an E-copy of a title. Not exactly sure how that works as I haven't tried it yet.

BarryBobPosthole
10-16-2014, 07:53 PM
If you know what you want, just google the title and usually some form of e-book will come up. There are several apps out there.
BKB

DeputyDog
10-16-2014, 08:45 PM
Libraries loan Ebooks by allowing access for a period of time then it's no longer accessible on your device.

This Ebola thing must be bad. Auto-correct tried to change Ebooks to Ebola.