PDA

View Full Version : Wow

BarryBobPosthole
10-17-2014, 07:11 PM
I went to get the boat today for a fall fishing trip down to God's Own Country in the mountains of SE Oklahoma. Searching around in the boat I found my old spinner bait box and found some bonus lures that I've been searching for. Namely a couple of old twin spin spinnerbaits that were hand made for me by none other than Mallard Fillmore hisowndamnfineself. Both of them are in good shape and have copper colorado blades, which work well in these waters. By twin spin, I don't mean a tandem spin but a true twin spin with two arms for blades and a single arm for the jig. With Colorado blades you can stop them and they'll helicopter straight down like a damned slow Huey and the vibration makes big bass crazy. They are my favorite of all time lures for big bass and that's the kind of water we're fishing tomorrow, a little bitty lake in the mountains where the state record largie came from last year. I had to replace the skirts on them and tune the arms a bit but I think they look really damn good. By the way, my big bass for 2014 (so far) came on a black twin spin: 7 pounds 2 ounces. I'm telling you, I don't catch small fish on these, they are killer. and that damned buddy of mine won't make me any more of them. All I need is about ten of them to get me through the rest of my natural born life I'm tellin' ya.

I also found a real throwback walleye lure that I really loved and didn't even know I had. Its called a Walleye Magnet and is a crawdad style crankbait with a big molded bill like a Shadling has. I don't know who made them or where to find them but it was sure good seeing that old lure. I've cranked it a few miles, now I'll troll it another fifty. That's a Dogtooth lurre fo sho.

Can you tell I'm pumped for this trip tomorrow? 5:00 departure for Birddog and I and I can guarantee I'll wake up about a n hour before the alarm goes off.

BKB

Captain
10-17-2014, 08:10 PM
Man that is cool... Good luck tomorrow and catch a bigun'
Even though I know we want see a picture of it ;)

I know what you mean about the lures and having favorites that cannot be replaced. I bet that was like a Christmas present to yourself...
In the 80's there was a guy from out your way named Wayne Roberts. He made a twin spin top water buzz bait called a double trouble. I use to call him and have them made special with copper blades.
He died many years ago And I still got 6 or 8 of those things and in the spring they are deadly!
I sure would hate to loose em'

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

BarryBobPosthole
10-17-2014, 08:31 PM
I've still got my Chatterbox! Still in the package too! One of these days I might get it out and fish with it.

I've never had too much luck with the twin arm buzz baits. I love fishing those things in the fall though. Bassdog and I were fishing an October 'Classic' tournament one time in the old Leakin' Lena. We were on a southern Oklahoma lake (Sardis) but a cold front had come through and it was about 35 degrees with a strong north wind for this two day tournament. Of course we went in shirt sleeves and windbreakers expecting typical fall weather. We about froze plumb to death. Fishing was tough too. We could hardly buy a fish and on day two we had only two keepers in the boat. there were some fellows kind of shadowing us and they were fishing twin spin buzz baits and were picking up a few fish. I can almost hear the 'whooooo' the lures made when they'd throw them into the wind.
anyway, we were about to head to weigh in and decided to hit a little calm spot for a Hail Mary cast or two when Bob saw a big swirl and pointed to it. No sooner had he pointed at it than I had a lure in the air and BAM caught a 6 pounder. That fish won us $95 for big fish and paid for gas grub and beer for the two of us for that weekend. We couldn't likely get there for that much these days. I told them at weigh in everybody needed a bass pointer with them and Bassdog's nickname was born. And the rest, as they say, is history.

BKB

Captain
10-17-2014, 08:41 PM
Yea those things were invented by some dude just south of me. I met up with his father and bought a dozen or two of the originals. Back when they were hand made. Later they were in every Walmart in the world but were made in Japan or China or something. You got one of the very first originals... I've got about 3 of them left in the original packs. Wonder if they are worth anything?

BarryBobPosthole
10-17-2014, 08:42 PM
We need to ask the Picker! Or as he's known around here the puMPheADaDmINSyoP.

BKB

Thumper
10-17-2014, 08:45 PM
HEY!!!

Thumper
10-17-2014, 08:47 PM
I'll pick up a couple'a lures at K-Mart during the "Blue Light Special" and out-fish bof'a youse dufuses with my Zebco! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
10-17-2014, 09:00 PM
That was KMart dufus.

Okay so you fixed it.

BKB

Captain
10-17-2014, 09:48 PM
Something tells me if me, you and Posty ever got together at fishing camp there would not be a lot of fishing done. Power drinking and perhaps the local KFC would run out of chicken. But fishing would be a maybe?

Thumper
10-17-2014, 11:25 PM
That was KMart dufus.

Okay so you fixed it.

BKB

HUH? :confused:

Sumpin' tells me you may be right Cappy. ;)