PDA

View Full Version : Quick Trip Report

Buckrub
10-22-2014, 10:54 AM
Weather: Either A) HOT or B) Perfect for fishing. Pick one.

Deer: Saw a brief glimpse of 6 deer since last Sat morning. That's as many as I saw on the lease all last year, so.... Saw one buck 2nd morning, he was out there while I climbed my stand! He let me get up the ladder, still there. He let me pull gun up via rope, still there. He let me get set up, still there. I get scope on him and he has head down eating acorns. Plus, there's no light.....when I first saw him he had his head down and I thought it was a big hog. When I got scope on him, it was a deer. His size/shape told me he was a buck. He ate acorns without ever raising his head! Plus, he's in a 'chute' of trees that I can barely see through. Tall grass/weeds, too. He finally raises his head, and I see something......but, I can't see what!!! I mean, there were blonde antlers but I can't see points. I don't know. 12 point or Spike. No clue which. Not enough light yet. He finally works a bit closer..........and I'm still and just watching through scope. He throws his head up and looks right at me, wheels, and flies off. I dunno. Clearly I'm getting old enough that I need way more light to discern antlers than ever before. That surely limits my chances, cause that's when they show up. But nothing I can do about it.

Camp: Except for one goofball, all is going well. Everyone brought their own food. No problems.

Came home long enough to 'see' Mama and take her to the airport for a 6:00 flight to Colorado tomorrow. She drove in from Savannah/Tennessee yesterday. Whew. When I drop her off, I'll head to camp for remainder of ML season.........ends Sunday.

Then two weeks off (to fish!!!) and then modern gun season starts.........for five weeks.

The End.

Thumper
10-22-2014, 11:31 AM
Ok, if ya' can't tell if it's a spike or a 12-point ... I think you're due for a new scope!

Hope the rest of the week goes better for ya'! ;)

Captain
10-23-2014, 05:11 AM
You should have "ground checked" him....

Buckrub
10-23-2014, 09:26 AM
Sitting in same stand. That thought just crossed my mind! But with only 2 buck tags and 7 weeks to go, I just couldn't be sure. With our herd, could a been a big spike.

30 lb tiny doe just went across my entire field of vision in 3 bounds, less than 3 seconds. Running towards me. 20 minutes later, nothing behind her. That was weird. She was seen here yesterday. Tiny thing.

Plumb weird.

Bwana
10-23-2014, 10:24 AM
You get TWO buck tags and you are worried about filling the first this early? You like the meat, right? Do as Cappy said and then wait for a bigger one later if you are so inclined.

Also, nothing wrong with filling your tags and then sitting in the stand with a camera or just to sit and watch the world go by.