PDA

View Full Version : Rare albino deer killed.

Sunshine
10-23-2014, 12:46 AM
:(

Captain
10-23-2014, 04:36 AM
"I wish he hadn't shot it"

Yea it would have been much better for a car to have run over it.
Saw this a few days ago and thought it was a bunch of fuss over nothing.
Congrats to the boy! Hope he gets another one...

Thumper
10-23-2014, 06:55 AM
Ummmm, I think when it comes to ancient American Indian beliefs ... you'd be very hard-pressed to find ANYTHING that ISN'T sacred, special or spiritual!

That would be a cool trophy!

Oh, and you'd better take back everything you said about your Indian Corn thieving squirrel. Here's a Native American belief. You should LOVE your squirrel! :D

Squirrel Power Animals Meaning: The Squirrel symbolizes love and abundance
Dream Interpretation: Dreaming of a squirrel indicates that you are seeking some form of acceptance. Dreaming that you are feeding a squirrel indicates comfort through hard work, diligence and prudence.

Niner
10-23-2014, 09:05 AM
What about shooting a squirrel, and feeding it to the neighbor's cat???

Bwana
10-23-2014, 09:16 AM
After reading Sunny's post I am sure glad this one was only luecistic and not a full albino.

BarryBobPosthole
10-23-2014, 09:18 AM
That's easy for you to say!

BKB

LJ3
10-23-2014, 10:03 AM
I'd whack the white deer.... unless it was shitting rainbows.

Big Skyz
10-23-2014, 10:06 AM
You wish he hadn't shot a deer with an inferior recessive gene? You know, the "one" deer that stands out in the forest and has a harder time hiding from predators. The one deer that likely has other recessive genes besides just it's color. The one deer that would spread those inferior genes to other deer making them more susceptible to predators from above and on the ground. Can you imagine being a white fawn with eagles in the area? From purely a biological stand point, white deer are very bad for a healthy deer herd. All that said. I'd shoot that sucker in a heart beat and pay to have it mounted life-sized so others can enjoy seeing it for many years to come. I happy for the lad that got it. It's a very unique trophy and he should be thrilled he was lucky enough to kill it. As for any detractor's from his success or joy, they should mind their own @#$% business and leave the kid alone.

BarryBobPosthole
10-23-2014, 10:12 AM
I still think that the two full body piebald deer that Larke has are the two prettiest mounts I've ever seen.

I wonder if the kid found a madstone in that deer? Legend has it that white deer carry a madstone that will cure snakebite and sundry other things. I recall my uncles arguing about the madstone tales when I was barely old enough to sit up late with them and listen to them talk.

BKB

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~okmurray/stories/mad_stone.htm

Captain
10-23-2014, 10:23 AM
Posthole I donated both of those deer to the NC Wildlife museum in Raleigh, NC. They are on display for the world to see now. And I got a right nice tax deduction out of the deal... :D

DeputyDog
10-23-2014, 01:32 PM
Just because the Native Americans held them as sacred shouldn't mean anything unless he was an Indian that shot it. I don't not eat pork out of respect to the beliefs of Jews and Muslims, and the rest of the world doesn't not eat meat on Fridays during lent out of respect for the Catholics.

That is a cool trophy and he deserves to enjoy it.

BarryBobPosthole
10-23-2014, 01:54 PM
Well, I can't keep my big trap shut for any longer, but Sunny is free to feel any damn way she wants to about this. Just because she doesn't feel the same way about it as y'all (me) doesn't mean the way she feels about it isn't the right way or the smart way, it just means that she thinks they're cool (the white deer) and she doesn't like to see cool shit get killed. Doesn't make anybody else wrong for doing it either. Not sure why stuff has to be so damned black and white.

BKB

Thumper
10-23-2014, 01:58 PM
I agree! P-hole for President!

I like cats. ;)

Bwana
10-23-2014, 02:04 PM
I see no problem with some folks not wanting them killed, but if there is no law against it, or a reason why there should be, then no reason not to take it. After all, there are folks out there that think NO animals should be killed. Their right to believe that and even their right not to kill any animals but doesn't mean all should be held to the same belief.

As for me, I almost passed that buck up just because he was only 1.5 years old and was looking for a larger buck. The buck's twin had been taken by a local gent's grandson during a youth hunt, that buck was actually much whiter, and I JUST about let it walk so as to find a bigger buck but to be honest with you, I decided that I have shot a few "bigger bucks" in my life but nothing like that strange little fellow. If I had thought it had even a snowball's chance in hell of making it through the season I would have let it walk but in the end decided if I didm't do it, someone else was going to. For better or worse that is what happened.

LJ3
10-23-2014, 03:38 PM
I agree with BBP, though I don't think anyone needs to come to Sunny's defense. Opinions are opinions and feelings can't be wrong. They're just opinions and feelings and personal things.

Buckrub
10-23-2014, 06:15 PM
I agree Sunny can validly feel that way and not want to shoot that deer.

BUT, she wanted to impose those feelings onto the boy that shot it. I don't think she should get by with that any more than you guys should get by with imposing your wishes on her.

Sauce, gooses, ganders, and all that.

BarryBobPosthole
10-23-2014, 06:25 PM
I simply thought we were piling on the lady a little bit and took up for her is all. Y'all are all welcome to kill all the white deer you want. Fuck, why don't you kill a few unicorns while you're at it? (Okay that last part was for dramatic emphasis)

BKB

Arty
10-23-2014, 06:32 PM
The only time I wouldn't shoot a white deer is if it was wearing a tinfoil hat. I'd let it walk.I would NOT shoot a white deer that was wearing a tinfoil hat

Buckrub
10-23-2014, 06:36 PM
I have a unicorn on my wall.

Arty
10-23-2014, 06:37 PM
Posty, while I agree with you, partly... One should know that this opinion of not killing white deer would go over like a terd in the ole proverbial punch bowl ...

BarryBobPosthole
10-23-2014, 08:13 PM
Name that band!
BKB

There were green alligators
And long-necked geese
Some humpty-backed camels
And some chimpanzees
Some cats and rats and elephants
But sure as you’re born
The loveliest of them all
Was the unicorn

Thumper
10-23-2014, 08:23 PM
Irish something or other. Dang! It sucks gettin' old. I'll be right back ... I have an appointment with Mr. Google! ;)

Thumper
10-23-2014, 08:25 PM
Yep, The Irish Rovers ... a Canuckian band. Ha! I thought they were from Ireland! ;)

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_EPsuOEH1fY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LJ3
10-24-2014, 11:46 AM
Sunny and Posthole, sittin' in a tree.

HideHunter
10-24-2014, 10:13 PM
I agree totally with Big Sky.. Iowa protects any deer over 50% white. Freaking joke. Let's just pollute the gene pool with something that couldn't make it outside an artificial environment. As someone told me once.. "They're all pink on the inside".. I think they were talking about deer? ;)