PDA

View Full Version : It Ain't Too Long

BarryBobPosthole
10-24-2014, 11:19 PM
Our oldest springer, Zuzu, is 16 and is fading fast. She''s having some continence issues, is the typical obstinate old dog, and is totally deaf. She hobbles around pretty well but has some rear end issues as dogs that age usually do and even occassionally trots but her days of chasing a kong or a ball are long gone.
When we brought her home as a pup I could hold her in one hand and like all of our other springers over the years she made our older dog's lives miserable as a pup and was an old aunt to the younger dogs.
Of all the dogs I've owned this one might be the sweetest of them all. It breaks my heart to see her get this old and feeble.

Big decisions ahead. It doesn't seem fair.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
10-24-2014, 11:55 PM
I feel for you, man.

Thumper
10-25-2014, 05:30 AM
That sucks and those decisions are never easy. All joking aside, dogs (as well as cats believe it or not) become "family" and make any decision of this magnitude very difficult but necessary. The worst part is deciding the point where the suffering negates any positive quality of life.

Captain
10-25-2014, 06:12 AM
That is tough duty. Sorry you are having to go through this.
It is the main reason we will never have a another dog.

Big Muddy
10-25-2014, 08:52 AM
Phole, I've had to make that decision more times than I care to remember....pets deserve to have a respectful end to their lives....after I've made the decision that the pet is suffering, this is the way I do it....my vet charges me a flat $100 bucks to come to our home, and provide the two injections....any family members are welcome to attend, if they care to....I hold our pet in my arms, and we all hug and kiss on them, then say our goodbyes....first injection simply puts the pet into a very peaceful sleep, in my arms....second injection is the final one....absolutely no pain....I make a small coffin, and the grave has already been prepared....everybody says a silent prayer at the burial site, and it's over....then, I usually go out and find another wonderful pet to cuddle on and spoil rotten. ;)

We have a pet cemetery behind our house, in the edge of the woods....there's no telling how many pets we've buried out there in the past 45 years....dogs, cats, hamsters, turtles, guinea pigs, llamas, gerbils, goldfish, goats, pigs, deer, and a miniature horse. ;)

jb
10-25-2014, 09:22 AM
Been there with to many, it doesn't get any easier either.
Right now we have a two year old and a 10 year old, the 10 year old is a little one so maybe another 5 years.
It's truly hard to say good by to a dear loyal friend, but it's better than watching them suffer every day.

Sunshine
10-25-2014, 11:15 AM
I have the same pet centenary on my property.

Its your duty, to make that decision, when your pet does not have a quality of life.
They are depending on us, to not let them suffer.

Its a horrible decision, and I still get chocked up over one of my shelties and it's been 9 years, but you will know when it needs to be made.

Every time I've had to make that decision, a piece of my heart went with them.
And every time a new one came into my life, a piece was put back into my heart to fill the hole.

I'm sorry you are having to make this decision.
Its a rough one, but you'll know in your heart when its time.

I held all of mine, but I pay extra to have the vet put them in a surgical sleep.
I saw my goodbyes and once they are asleep I leave the room so the vet can finish it.

Then they are put in a prepared box. and taken home, where they are buried.

quercus alba
10-25-2014, 05:51 PM
I don't have a dog anymore. Hurts too bad to lose them, I raise a few rabbits now for meat. named them, Stew, Fry, Bob (shiska) and Fricassee. The newest litter is just called The Dumpling Gang. Mom and pop are called Hass & Feiffer.

I just don't have time for the pain

LW
10-25-2014, 09:30 PM
I hate that for you man.

Big Skyz
10-25-2014, 10:53 PM
Having gone through this just a little over a year ago, I truly know what you are facing. It truly is an sad injustice that we outlive our dogs. Reading your post has got me missing my dog all over again. In a way it is okay though, because he was a dog worth missing.

BarryBobPosthole
10-25-2014, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the comments. i appreciate it. We're not there yet but I can see it on the horizon. She still smiles at me when I get up each day and comes over to get a pat once in a while. This dog is a bit eccentric in that she's one of those dogs who has always had a ton of nervous energy. Always reminded me more of an energetic Brit than the typical laid back springer.
This is going to be tough on my wife as she's always been 'her' dog.
We'll make it. Its just part of the whole deal. And I'll always have a dog even as painful as saying bye is.

BKB

Niner
10-26-2014, 08:42 AM
That's tough sledding there Barry. Been there and done that, and it sucks big time. I feel for ya man. As much as we love our pups, it is so so hard to let them go.

After I lost my Jack Russell a few years ago (oddly just before I got sick), I swore I'd never have another dog. Like a lot of y'all, it's just too painful to see them going downhill.

My daughter keeps telling me I NEED to get another dog, and sometimes we doggiesit her Rottie when she has to go on an extended business trip. But as cool as her dog is, I just don't feel the need to get another. I keep telling her I need to be able to take care of myself before I can take care of a dog.

My nephew made me a "yard art" welded sculpture of a "doggie" a couple of years ago. I call him Rin Tin Tin.