PDA

View Full Version : A Political Muslim Perspective

LJ3
10-27-2014, 10:47 AM
Not saying it's my perspective and I'm not sure of the historic accuracy in reference to eh Barbary Coast wars. Purt innersting either way.

http://www.youngcons.com/obama-can-learn-a-lot-from-thomas-jeffersons-response-to-muslims-in-1801/

BarryBobPosthole
10-27-2014, 12:20 PM
The Tripolitan War is really an interesting time for the US as we were just making flexing our economic muscles at that time and trade was an important part of our expansion. But religion really had very little to do with it. Since England had effectively blockaded most of the major European ports to cut off France and her allies from world trade, the Brits and the US desperately needed ports to trade from and the Tripolitan states offered ready access to a lot of things we needed. Prior to France's navy getting their asses kicked, France had provided the protection for US merchants in that area. The Barbary States effectively extorted money from both US and Britain in order to be able for them to land their ships there to trade. Religion was a handy excuse for them to demand their extortion money. The real reason was gold and arms, which is pretty much in line with what they've been doing since that time with oil and so forth.

The US had just finished building its first six naval frigates (including the USS Constitution) in 1800 so this was the first naval engagement for the new US Navy. There really was a lot at play there besides just the muslims wanting to kill the infidels.

BKB

LJ3
10-27-2014, 12:52 PM
Cool stuff, thanks BBP. I am completely ignorant of that time in our history but plan on changing that. As soon as I stop shooting weddings, portrait sessions down down, I get thru about 20,000 images, do three leather bound albums, and get to the end of my honey-do list since moving which has about 5 million things on it.

Damn, looks like I'ma stay ignant for a while longer.

BarryBobPosthole
10-27-2014, 12:54 PM
You're a man of many parts, there sheriff.

BKB

LJ3
10-27-2014, 01:51 PM
I am in DESPERT need of some sort of distraction for my mind, preferably something entertaining and informative at the same time.

BarryBobPosthole
10-27-2014, 01:55 PM
Read "Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy" by Ian Toll. Really good history book and entertaining too. And a lot of it takes place near where you live of course.

Entertaining AND distracting.

BKB

Thumper
10-27-2014, 02:11 PM
I am in DESPERT need of some sort of distraction for my mind, preferably something entertaining and informative at the same time.

A distraction?? Entertaining and informative? Oh, I have just the thing! Talk about informative!

The CN Tower is a 1,815.4 ft concrete communications and observation tower in Downtown Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Built on the former Railway Lands, it was completed in 1976, becoming the world's tallest free-standing structure and world's tallest tower at the time. It held both records for 34 years until the completion of Burj Khalifa and Canton Tower in 2010. It remains the tallest free-standing structure in the Western Hemisphere, a signature icon of Toronto's skyline, and a symbol of Canada, attracting more than two million international visitors annually.

Its name "CN" originally referred to Canadian National, the railway company that built the tower. Following the railway's decision to divest non-core freight railway assets, prior to the company's privatization in 1995, it transferred the tower to the Canada Lands Company, a federal Crown corporation responsible for real estate development. Since the name CN Tower became common in daily usage, the abbreviation was eventually expanded to Canadian National Tower or Canada's National Tower. However, neither of these names is commonly used.

In 1995, the CN Tower was declared one of the modern Seven Wonders of the World by the American Society of Civil Engineers. It also belongs to the World Federation of Great Towers, where it holds second-place ranking. :D

Thumper
10-27-2014, 02:15 PM
Oh, I'm sorry ... that pic is a bit small. I'll blow it up a bit and help with an arrow to point it out.

LJ3
10-27-2014, 02:32 PM
Well done, James. Very well done! I feel smarter already!

Thumper
10-27-2014, 02:39 PM
Well done, James. Very well done! I feel smarter already!

I guess I ya' got the three things ya' asked for ... "distraction" ... "entertaining" and "informative"! :biggrin

BaseballCoach (Rev A)
10-27-2014, 05:42 PM
How about one of you smart fellers do the math and explain how that narrow waist holds those things up.

Thumper
10-27-2014, 05:44 PM
If she has a problem holdin' 'em up, I'd like to volunteer my services! :biggrin

BarryBobPosthole
10-27-2014, 05:51 PM
She gots some man hands that's fer sure.

BKB

Thumper
10-27-2014, 06:31 PM
Yes Jerry. ;)