PDA

View Full Version : Trip report - fall turkey, part I (I hope)

Bwana
10-27-2014, 02:19 PM
This past Saturday was the day for our annual fall turkey safari. Our success varies from year to year depending on a number of factors including, bird population, weather, shooting ability, etc.

We worked harder this year then we have for a LONG time and though we gave it a good shot, we had one heck of a time trying to locate any birds. Either the numbers are way down or the nice weather simply has them spread way out. Either way though the hunt was fun, it wasn't very productive. And though I always do my best to put others in the more productive places, that strategy seems to backfire on me as often as it works. This year was no different, in that I put others where I thought the birds would be or go and yet I was the only one who ended up shooting a turkey, two in fact. So at the end of a long day with LOTS of miles walked, the grand total for our group of nine hunters was two turkeys & two roosters for me, one rooster for another gent, and nothing for anyone else. Our worst showing ever but hopefully I can get some of them back out again to give the birds another try.

This picture could be put in a book along side of one of Big Sky's as what NOT to do when taking game pictures. I was about to clean the birds when the missus took it, but I am posting it here to show the variety of coloration that can be found in the turkeys I hunt. These two toms were taken from the same flock of 6 toms.

Buckrub
10-27-2014, 02:23 PM
I love that picture! !

Is the one with head up a puppet? :)

Chicken Dinner
10-27-2014, 02:28 PM
That new pup is looking pretty birdie!

Thumper
10-27-2014, 02:42 PM
So, the one on the right was from the "other side of the tracks"? ;)

BarryBobPosthole
10-27-2014, 03:07 PM
PS....the one on the right ain't dead yet.

BKB

Bwana
10-27-2014, 03:11 PM
Besides the tradition of the hunt, there was another tradition started a couple of years ago which is to public shun those who choose to skip out on the event. That tradition started when the wife and I bowed out one year to attend a college football game (head hung down in shame) but it was resurrected again this year when one of the other couple's forgot to send in their turkey applications on time.

The public shunning:

Thumper
10-27-2014, 03:32 PM
I'da mooned 'em! ;)

LJ3
10-27-2014, 04:28 PM
Besides the tradition of the hunt, there was another tradition started a couple of years ago which is to public shun those who choose to skip out on the event. That tradition started when the wife and I bowed out one year to attend a college football game (head hung down in shame) but it was resurrected again this year when one of the other couple's forgot to send in their turkey applications on time.

The public shunning:

That's awesome! :) Dude on the left looks like he bustin' a world class fart over there.

Niner
10-27-2014, 05:31 PM
Dude, yer license plate is all blurred up. Just a heads up, the police frown on folks messing with those plates ya know.

Captain
10-27-2014, 08:33 PM
Man I'm SO jealious you can hunt turkeys this time of the year!
And I think the photo is cool.
Like the Shunning photo too. Cool idea, sorta like the "Niner" pose :-)

Thumper
10-27-2014, 09:03 PM
I still think mooners would be more appropriate. :moon