PDA

View Full Version : Most Reliable Cars

Chicken Dinner
10-27-2014, 02:32 PM
Interesting list (especially the trucks): http://money.cnn.com/gallery/autos/2014/10/27/consumer-reports-most-reliable-cars/18.html

LJ3
10-27-2014, 02:42 PM
Puzzling :)

and Bucky's not here to offer his personal testament to never having to change the oil on his Chevy after 7 million miles, all uphill with no tires.

Thumper
10-27-2014, 02:43 PM
Puzzling :)

and Bucky's not here to offer his personal testament to never having to change the oil on his Chevy after 7 million miles, all uphill with no tires.

... and in the snow. ;)

Thumper
10-27-2014, 02:54 PM
Odd ... the ONLY trucks I saw were Toyotas! :D

Here's my count: (out of 18)

Toyota - 10
Audi - 3
VW - 1
Kia - 1
Honda - 1
Mitsubishi - 1
Chevrolet - 1

You'd think by now the U.S. automakers would have caught up. I wonder how many of the most reliable are built by union members? (I have no clue, just curious)

I know the ONLY unionized plant here for Toyota was out in California. They built the Toyota Corolla out there and let the UAW in, on a joint venture with General Motors, to basically show "us" how to build a good car. It wasn't working out all that well, but there was a contract. When GM went through their bankruptcy, Toyota closed the plant ... the ONLY plant they've ever closed in the history of the company ... and moved production back to Japan. The UAW raised holy hell of course, but I think that's a sad example of the mindset of the American auto industry. I told a group of GM mucky-mucks at a National Parts & Service Managers meeting back in the early 80's that Japan was going to knock our dicks in the dirt if we didn't make a drastic change in our business practices and I was laughed out of the meeting. I remember it like it was just yesterday and it has always been an unpleasant memory for me. I sure wish I could go back to that group of GM Brass and Engineers to thumb my nose and say, "I told you so."

BarryBobPosthole
10-27-2014, 03:06 PM
My Tundra was built in the US. I didn't ask if it was built by union or non-union because I don't give a shit if it was built by friggin' communists.

BKB

Thumper
10-27-2014, 03:19 PM
To my knowledge, Toyota has no union plants in the U.S.

I believe all their trucks are built in Texas (not positive).

BarryBobPosthole
10-27-2014, 03:32 PM
That's what the dealer told me. Built in San Antonio.

Built by Texans.

Oh well, you can't have it all I guess.

BKB

Thumper
10-27-2014, 03:41 PM
That would be non-union Texans! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
10-27-2014, 03:48 PM
That's kind of like being first in a fat man's race.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
10-27-2014, 03:50 PM
My Tundra was built in Indiana. Union Township no less. That was before they switched he truck lines to Tejas.

Thumper
10-27-2014, 04:16 PM
That's what the dealer told me. Built in San Antonio.

Built by Texans.

Oh well, you can't have it all I guess.

BKB

Why were you talking to a Toyota dealer? Did you buy one or sumpin'? Gots any pics? ;)

LJ3
10-27-2014, 04:26 PM
That would be non-union Texans! ;)

So... you can't really have a union card if you're in illegal immigrant, can you?

Buckrub
10-27-2014, 04:35 PM
No interest.

Looking for list of "Most Functional Towing Vehicles"........

Thumper
10-27-2014, 05:39 PM
Is it still functional if it breaks down? ;)

Here are a few for ya' ta' try out:

Peterbuilt, Mack, Freightliner, Kenworth, Volvo, International, Western Star, etc. :D

Buckrub
10-27-2014, 05:50 PM
Too expensive.

Mine doesn't break down. Sorry to burst your bubble. So, I get both.

Thumper
10-27-2014, 06:32 PM
Give it time young man ... give it time. :D

quercus alba
10-27-2014, 06:40 PM
I've got a Corolla and I wouldn't give you 50 cents for a dozen more just like it. It's the poorest designed thing on four wheels I've ever had the misfortune to own. Every aspect about it sucks, handles poorly, rides rough, mileage barely adequate, uncomfortable and you have to take off the whole frickin grill to change a headlight bulb. If that's the best Toyota can do then they can keep them

Thumper
10-27-2014, 06:44 PM
Ha ha! The Corolla is their entry level car. It's SUPPOSED to be that way. :D

Hey, you could'a had a Vega or a Pinto ... or a Gremlin! No wait, am I in the correct century? ;)

quercus alba
10-27-2014, 06:48 PM
I'd druther have the Yugo. Being an entry level is not an excuse for poor quality and design. Toyota ought to be ashamed to put their name on it

Thumper
10-27-2014, 06:49 PM
But ... has it broken down? ;)

Buckrub
10-27-2014, 06:51 PM
Thump always has the last word on this.....whether it makes any sense or not..........

quercus alba
10-27-2014, 06:55 PM
Before and after the recall repair. it's running right now but you can't replace the headlights without a masters mechanic degree in physics

Thumper
10-27-2014, 06:57 PM
Ha ha! Just eggin' him on ... that's my job around this joint. :poke:poke:poke:poke:poke

I've never owned a Corolla (Camry and up only) so I can't say squat anydamnway. Besides, it's not even on the list for the subject of this thread, so ppppffffttttt! ;)

Buckrub
10-27-2014, 07:00 PM
:)

See????

Oh.........and so I assume you are saying reliability and quality are only at the top end of this car line? I see.

I don't have a Cadillac. Or a Buick. Just a couple of old Chevy trucks. Even the Tahoe is still running great at 200K+.
But of course, none of that means anything, and can't possibly be true.

P.S.
Got 20.2 mpg on way to camp, by the way.... in a 3/4 ton truck with a 25,000 lb pulling capacity :)

quercus alba
10-27-2014, 07:07 PM
Jimbo's my alter ego. He's handsome, I'm not. He's a chick magnet, I'm not. He likes Toyotos, I don't. He's not sure if he's agnostic, I'm sure I'm not. we're a lot alike except where we differ

Thumper
10-27-2014, 07:16 PM
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/83/85/cd/8385cd7a456e2a71a33fb7b1eb8929d8.jpg

Thumper
10-27-2014, 07:17 PM
Oh, and I'm sure I'm agnostic. ;)

Buckrub
10-27-2014, 07:19 PM
And I'm sure he's ugly.

And big.

Big Skyz
10-27-2014, 07:20 PM
Isn't Buckrub the one that likes to talk about sticking his head in the sand more than anyone else on this site? He doesn't like facts to get in the way of his opinion. You know like the fact is in this article:
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/10/27/toyota-tops-consumer-reports-reliability-rankings/?intcmp=obmod_ffo&intcmp=obnetwork

Big Skyz
10-27-2014, 07:21 PM
Isn't Buckrub the one that likes to talk about sticking his head in the sand more than anyone else on this site? He doesn't like facts to get in the way of his opinion. You know like the facts in this article:
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/10/27/toyota-tops-consumer-reports-reliability-rankings/?intcmp=obmod_ffo&intcmp=obnetwork

Thumper
10-27-2014, 07:27 PM
You can say that again! ;)

That's very similar to the article by CNN at the top of this thread.

Here's a highlight. :poke

Truck buyers complained about new full-size pickups from Chevrolet and GMC, which were plagued by squeaks and rattles.

I think that's what something does just before it falls off ... or apart! ;)

Buckrub
10-27-2014, 07:36 PM
I believe you all.

I just know what I see. It's the same thing that you are doing, reporting your own personal anecdotal 'evidence'. I just know what I experience. Hard to believe I'm lucky......but maybe so. Don't care.

Still, the old "reliability" (by a small percentage at that) is not what drives my choices.

Thumper
10-27-2014, 08:04 PM
Still, the old "reliability" (by a small percentage at that) is not what drives my choices.

Ha! Yep, you proved that with your previous wheelie. :D

Buckrub
10-27-2014, 08:13 PM
Yep. A Japanese Major Manufacturer. Gives me great confidences in that genre.

Thumper
10-27-2014, 08:47 PM
What do you have now? :confused:

Big Skyz
10-28-2014, 01:00 AM
Don't know where the double post came from, but it was worth repeating. :)

Captain
10-28-2014, 07:00 AM
My doctor friend came down to fish last weekend and decided to stay to Sunday and fish. I needed to come in Saturday night so he pitched his keys to me. A fully loaded, limited edition Toyota! I drove it in 4 hours Saturday night and could not wait till I got in my Chevy truck.
That thing was all over the road. It was like the front end was loose or "soft" and I can tell by how it ran it would not pull a greasy string out of a cats ass...
Yall can have the toys. I keep driving a non yuppie real work truck.....
Oh and I will say it seemed to get good gas mileage.... So I guess if you are gonna need a truck to haul your kids bikes around it should fit the bill.

Buckrub
10-28-2014, 10:25 AM
These guys are all covert Soccer Mom's, Cappy.

I owned one of these before too.......a Nissan......it was nice to have half a truck and half a commuter vehicle when I drove to Little Rock every day. But it wasn't a real truck.

I like to pull stuff. Toys don't cut it.

But........they won't quit, and they won't admit it, so......whatever.

LJ3
10-28-2014, 11:44 AM
You guys make such a cute couple, smooches!

Thumper
10-28-2014, 11:52 AM
My doctor friend came down to fish last weekend and decided to stay to Sunday and fish. I needed to come in Saturday night so he pitched his keys to me. A fully loaded, limited edition Toyota! I drove it in 4 hours Saturday night and could not wait till I got in my Chevy truck.
That thing was all over the road. It was like the front end was loose or "soft" and I can tell by how it ran it would not pull a greasy string out of a cats ass...
Yall can have the toys. I keep driving a non yuppie real work truck.....
Oh and I will say it seemed to get good gas mileage.... So I guess if you are gonna need a truck to haul your kids bikes around it should fit the bill.

Ha! I know you're FOS just by reading your first sentence. We all know you ain't gots no friends! ;)

And number two, it's obvious that Toyota drivin' wife of yours is the one with the brains in the family! :D

Thumper
10-28-2014, 11:54 AM
You guys make such a cute couple, smooches!

It is kinda cute when they hook up, isn't it? ;)

BarryBobPosthole
10-28-2014, 12:06 PM
Deja vu all over again. And again and again and again and again.

BKB

DeputyDog
10-28-2014, 12:08 PM
I'd bet it had more to do with the brown likker intake and less to do with the quality of the vehicle being driven. ;)

Thumper
10-28-2014, 12:29 PM
I'd bet it's because he was in a REAL truck for once ... and couldn't reach the pedals. :D

Thumper
10-28-2014, 12:29 PM

BKB

Sure beats baseball talk. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
10-28-2014, 12:38 PM
At least baseball talk isn't a circular argument.

Besides, I'm kind of out of this discussion for a while. I love my new truck, but I've not had it long enough to really make a valid argument one way or the other. Haven't really had it any tight off road situations like I did in the old one, haven't driven it on ice and snow yet, and haven't pulled anything bigger than my 21 ft boat yet. Seems to have the power and handling for all of those situations but I'll wait and see until I've put it to the test before I testify. I will say that my old Chevy passed all those tests with flying colors, which is about the limit of what I put a truck through personally. So if this'un does as good as that'un, I'll be a happy camper.

BKB

Thumper
10-28-2014, 01:08 PM
You have a new truck? A Toyota? Who'd have known? Gots any pics? :D

Niner
10-28-2014, 01:37 PM
I've had my '07 Tundra since the summer of '10.
So far, here is a list of what I have had to do to it.
Shortly after I got it, I put a set of Michelin tires on it. (A number of round trips from here to Houston.)
A couple of months ago, I put another set of Michelin tires on it.
Last month (or Sept...I don't remember persacly), I put a set of brakes on it at 90+ K miles.
Had a few recall items taken care of....mostly computer programming stuff, and a recall for somekindof grease in the drivers side window controller.

I need to either get a seat cover, or take it to an auto upolstery place to have a "rip" in the drivers seat fixed from where I slide out of the truck now.

I've pulled a couple of U-Haul trailers with it, but so far no BIG loads. I'd like to get a brake controller and hook it up, but I don't anticipate towing anything large in the near future.

Whenever my wife an I go anywhere, we take the truck. It rides much better than her Honda Accord.

So, antecdotally, I'd say that so far this has been a good truck.

Homestly, IMHO all off the newer trucks are much better than the ones built 20 years ago, with the excepton of Fords. If I won one in a contest, I'd trade it the first chance I got.

Captain
10-28-2014, 05:21 PM
My wife don't drive a Toyota, she has a Lexus.
If someone is driving a Cadillac you don't say they are driving a Chevy?

Thumper
10-28-2014, 05:45 PM
Ummm, a Cadillac, Chevy, Buick and GMC, etc. are General Motors Corp. products.

A Toyota and a Lexus are Toyota Corp. products.

(your turn) :D

Captain
10-28-2014, 06:33 PM
Then why have the Lexis name you big Dufi....
If you drive a Chevy you don't say he's got a Buick? Although both are made by the same parent company.
So why don't Toyota just get rid of the Lexus line if they are "just" Toyotas.
This is like arguing with my sisters kids.....

Buckrub
10-28-2014, 06:50 PM
You have a sister?

Thumper
10-28-2014, 07:12 PM
Ha ha! Back when I worked in a GM plant (Arlington, Texas) they were manufacturing the Olds Cutlass and the Chevy Chevelle on the same line ... they were the same car with different badges and options.

When I worked for Pontiac, we'd have screwed up Pontiac Firebirds come in with Chevy Camaro hubcaps and one with a Camaro interior! Same car, different options.

When I worked for Cadillac ... the Cadillac Cimarron was a Chevy Cavalier ... same car, different options.

Ya' gots Chevy/GMC pick-ups ...

Chevy Traverse - Buick Enclave - GMC Acadia ... same cars, different options.

Chevy Suburban - Cadillac Escalade ... same car, different options.

Heck, even the Hummer H2 is a Chevy Tahoe!

The list is endless.

Lynn drives a Toyota Avalon ... same car as a Lexus ES350 ... different options.

Everyone wants a "Luxury Line" ... Toyota/Lexus - Nissan/Infinity - Honda/Acura - etc. etc. etc. :D

Captain
10-28-2014, 07:30 PM
I assume you bought your car at a Toyota dealer = Toyota
I bought mine at a Lexus dealer = Lexus
If I wanted a Toyota I'd gone to a Toyota dealer.... Numbnuts! :D

Captain
10-28-2014, 07:39 PM

BKB

Well if we had a fishing forum and someone to look after it we could argue reels, bait and boats over there. ;)

Thumper
10-28-2014, 08:02 PM
It ain't my nutz that's numb these days. :biggrin

BarryBobPosthole
10-28-2014, 10:14 PM
It ain't my nutz that's numb these days. :biggrin

Sho nuff. Its your brain.

BKB

Thumper
10-28-2014, 10:34 PM
I've been told many times that's where my brain is. ;)