PDA

View Full Version : ML Trip Report

Buckrub
10-27-2014, 05:47 PM
Spent a week ML hunting. Hotter than the devil's underpants. I don't know why they have this season this early. Stupid. But....I don't get to pick the seasons.

Saw a few deer. Saw one buck, early light, back in brush...big bruiser but never saw any headgear that stuck out at me. Odd thing was, he was out there as I was climbing the ladder to the stand. Never stopped feeding on acorns. Pulled gun up on rope, arranged chair, put gun on stand rail, steadied my breathing.......the whole time he had no clue. Maybe 75 yards away, maybe a bit more. He fed on acorns and never once raised his head. I could see 'something' on his head, and could tell by body he was a buck, but no real visible antlers except for a brief glimpse of a little something around his ears. Very low light, and my eyes are going out fast, but I'd have thought his size would dictate a better headgear.

BUT, when I'm sitting there still as a church mouse, looking at him through scope......he feeds a bit closer, and BAM....he throws his head up, looks right at me (this stand is very concealed in a hardwood flat on a creek), and within .0001 seconds he turns and fled. There was another tail go up out past him. Too early to run with a doe, so it was two bucks. Never saw the other one. What made him NOT spook with me walking in, climbing ladder, moving around, and THEN spook after I'm sitting there still just looking through scope, I dunno. Somehow they 'just know'.

Saw a tiny doe do a cartoon run through the woods, jumping 30 yards at a time, about 8 feet high. Saw a few more doe, but I ain't in the doe business......and may not be this year. Our deer numbers are down, and I don't need the meat that badly.

Got hotter as the week went on, almost record highs last 3 days. Not conducive to me wanting to hunt.

Came home. Trying to unpack.

Modern Gun starts in 2 weeks, duration about 5 weeks. Then another one week after Christmas.

The End.

Thumper
10-27-2014, 06:41 PM
Okay, now this is weird. I could swear I've already read that trip report. At least the climb, buck feeding, then running, etc. etc.

Am I psychic? Cracking up? Did I dream it and predict the future? I'm serious. It says this was posted today but I swear I've read the first part previously. Straighten me out dude. :huh

quercus alba
10-27-2014, 06:46 PM
you psycho, er psychic

Buckrub
10-27-2014, 07:05 PM
He's psycho-delic.

Thumper
10-27-2014, 07:19 PM
He's psycho-delic.

Been there, done that ... that's fer sure. But that was the early 70's ... are the effects that long-lasting?

I'm serious ... this is like deja vu.

Buckrub
10-27-2014, 07:20 PM
Um.......don't ask a man with no memory.

Buckrub
10-27-2014, 07:21 PM
That was last weekend. Maybe I posted something in response on another thread somewhere, on Monday or so, maybe??? I seriously dunno.

Big Muddy
10-27-2014, 07:22 PM
Me, too, Thump....deja vu....I did a double-take at his post date because I KNOW I already read it about a week or so, ago.

What's up with that, Bucknut???....did you have two exact mzldr hunts, with the exact same spooky horn-less buck deer??? ;)

Thumper
10-27-2014, 07:30 PM
Pffeewww! I feel better now ... I have a witness! ;)

Yeah, I think the initial encounter was posted earlier and just elaborated on today.

I hope!

Big Muddy
10-27-2014, 07:31 PM
Found it...posted 10-22-2014-9:54 am....thought I was going crazy for a minute there....;)

""""Quick Trip Report: Weather: Either A) HOT or B) Perfect for fishing. Pick one.

Deer: Saw a brief glimpse of 6 deer since last Sat morning. That's as many as I saw on the lease all last year, so.... Saw one buck 2nd morning, he was out there while I climbed my stand! He let me get up the ladder, still there. He let me pull gun up via rope, still there. He let me get set up, still there. I get scope on him and he has head down eating acorns. Plus, there's no light.....when I first saw him he had his head down and I thought it was a big hog. When I got scope on him, it was a deer. His size/shape told me he was a buck. He ate acorns without ever raising his head! Plus, he's in a 'chute' of trees that I can barely see through. Tall grass/weeds, too. He finally raises his head, and I see something......but, I can't see what!!! I mean, there were blonde antlers but I can't see points. I don't know. 12 point or Spike. No clue which. Not enough light yet. He finally works a bit closer..........and I'm still and just watching through scope. He throws his head up and looks right at me, wheels, and flies off. I dunno. Clearly I'm getting old enough that I need way more light to discern antlers than ever before. That surely limits my chances, cause that's when they show up. But nothing I can do about it.

Camp: Except for one goofball, all is going well. Everyone brought their own food. No problems.

Came home long enough to 'see' Mama and take her to the airport for a 6:00 flight to Colorado tomorrow. She drove in from Savannah/Tennessee yesterday. Whew. When I drop her off, I'll head to camp for remainder of ML season.........ends Sunday.

Then two weeks off (to fish!!!) and then modern gun season starts.........for five weeks.

The End."""

Big Muddy
10-27-2014, 07:33 PM
Don't do that anymore, Bucknutt ;)....that sheeit will drive us old farts to drinking!!!!! ;)

Buckrub
10-27-2014, 07:35 PM
Well, I'll be.

Don't trust old people.

Captain
10-27-2014, 08:30 PM
Wow! I did the same thing. Started reading and scrolled up to see the date and time of the posting.
Then I thought well maybe Bucky had emailed me that and that's where I had read it.
Thanks for figuring it out. :-)

Thumper
10-27-2014, 08:49 PM
Ha ha! That's PERSACTLY what I did Cappy. I dug through my emails ... couldn't find it. I thought for sure I was losing it! ;)

Bwana
10-27-2014, 10:57 PM
Me too, thanks for letting me know I'm not crazy.

Captain
10-28-2014, 07:41 AM
Buckys hunting club....

Buckrub
10-28-2014, 10:23 AM
That's funny.

Right up the road from the entrance to our camp is some IP property. They had a growing plantation there for years, and a big wooden sign that said "WATCH OUR DYNAMIC FOREST GROW". Years later, they clearcut that whole zillion acres. Looked like a bomb went off. But the sign was still there, right by the highway. I took a picture of it all, but can't find it.

Thumper
10-28-2014, 11:57 AM
Kinda like my grandfather ... he was bald as a cue ball. In fact, I NEVER knew him to have hair. His name was "Harry" ... not Harold ... just Harry. As a kid, I always thought that was ironic.

Ok, maybe not the same thing ... it just brought back memories of my grand dad for some reason. :(

BarryBobPosthole
10-28-2014, 12:08 PM
My Choctaw preacher grandpa used to know a guy named Harry Cox. He used to slap his knee and laugh right out loud when he'd see him and tell me later 'I saw two guys with Harry Cox today'. He thought that was about the funniest thing in the world. Crazy how things like that stick in your memory ain't it?

BKB

Thumper
10-28-2014, 01:05 PM
I had a good customer at the Hollywood Caddie dealer. Whenever he brought his car in for service, he'd always wait for it. While waiting, he'd sit in my office and b/s with me. Our conversations were really more on a professional basis and we weren't really on a "buddy" basis. This was the days before cell phones and he'd always let his office know where he was and would give them my office phone number in case they needed to get hold of him (I'd loan him my demo if he ever had to leave for some reason). Anyway, there were times when I'd think of his name and crack up. Why? Well, he was a bit "picky" and would nit-pick a car to death. He was a nice enough guy, but ... sometimes, he could be a PITA. That's what would crack me up ... his name was Dr. Royal Paine :D