PDA

View Full Version : Save an old lady about a month ago

jb
10-31-2014, 07:57 PM
Was at my LGS about 3 weeks ago just to kill some time. I've known the owner for about 35 years and we shoot a lot of trap together.
He knows me to well, and when I stop in if he has something he thinks I might be interested in he'll pull me aside and shows it to me.
Well this time he pulls out an old 1890 38/40 Colt SAA in a black powder frame that he got in a big estate sale, it doesn't work because some internal parts are broken.
He says if I don't want it he's going to part it out and sell the pieces on the inter-net. He had just got it in that morning and said he'd flip it for $100 over his cost.
He had a certified appraisal on the gun of $1,200 but let it go to me for $900
It was in good shape for being 124 years old, and I though I could save her with some connections I've made with other Colt collectors.
I ended up sending it to AZ to a guy named Jim Martin, old time Colt gunsmith with quite a reputation. He spent many years as a western/gun consultant with MGM and holds numerous titles for fast draw and gun spinning.
He completely rebuilt the inside of the old girl so she functions just like she did 124 years ago, so much so, that if I wanted to I could still shoot her.
She was also missing the ejection system on the side of the barrel. I ran across a gentleman in Virginia that had some of these and he sent me one that fits and looks like it was original to the gun.
Even with these two items done I got it up to the appraisal price it had when it was broken.
So I saved a piece of history, wish it could talk and tell me where's shes been, but it's neat just holding her and knowing I helped put her back into working order.

BarryBobPosthole
10-31-2014, 08:02 PM
For some reason I can't see the image.

Those old pieces are works of art. Is it worth more if you don't fire them or what? ?I think I'd want to shoot it just to see how it felt to use it when it was a modern weapon.

BKB

jb
10-31-2014, 08:05 PM
Maybe this will work

BarryBobPosthole
10-31-2014, 08:17 PM
Yep! Nice!

If you ever make it out this way again, there is an awesome collection of Colts at a museum called Woolaroc not too far from here. They have every Colt model eer made and a bunch of custom and prototype ones as well.

BKB

jb
10-31-2014, 08:18 PM
I've heard of that when dealing with Jim Martin, he tells me some of his are in there, would love to see it.

Buckrub
10-31-2014, 09:39 PM
Wow.

Captain
10-31-2014, 09:53 PM
Damn right you did a great service. Even though you had to drop down some bucks you save a nice revolver. Looks WAY to nice to part out!
I think I've got a box or two of 38/40 ammo around here.
I've got a Smith about that old in the original box. You need to own it.

jb
11-01-2014, 09:13 AM
Thanks guys, Captain, would love to get that old Smith, ya still looking for a pistol scope ? Got a nice Leupold I don't need

Big Muddy
11-01-2014, 09:28 AM
Beautiful piece of history you got there, JB. Great investment, as well.