PDA

View Full Version : Rifle question

DeputyDog
11-03-2014, 10:45 AM
Indiana is considering allowing rifles for deer hunting. I've lived here my entire life, and have only used a shotgun for deer, so I don't own any rifle larger that a .22. If this goes through, I now have a good excuse to buy a rifle.

My question is, what caliber rifle would you recommend? I'd like something that would be multi-use that I could use if I ever go hunting for some other species of big game or het the chance to hunt somewhere that is a lot more open country that Indiana is.

Buckrub
11-03-2014, 10:54 AM
:beerbust

Here we go. Let it begin! ha.

I started life with a .30-30. Does fine to 100 yards. Next was .30-06. Probably the most versatile rifle made, because of the extreme variation in available OTC cartridges.

Then to a .270, and the .30-06 has been a Safe Queen ever since.

Last year, I got a .257 Wby Mag and the .270 is now relegated to my backup gun.

But it depends on:
A) Where you are going to use it, and how
B) The optics you put on it, which is WAY more important than caliber discussion
C) The cartridges you are going to shoot, because there IS a difference
D) What gun you can afford

BarryBobPosthole
11-03-2014, 10:56 AM
My personal favorite is 270 and the one I own is a Remmy. there's a gozilliion of them out there at whatever price you want to pay. but you can kill just about anything in North America with a 270.
Most all rifles are right around the 30 caliber range though and you might find a buddy that you can visit a range with and try 'em out.

BKB

Big Muddy
11-03-2014, 11:12 AM
D-dog, I'm an old foggie, when it comes to deer rifles....oh sure, I own some other calibers, but the old Rem. 700 .30-.06 is my favorite(I've busted three rifle stocks on that gun, hunting out west)....you can always find ammo for it, and in about 1,000 different bullet-types.

I went elk hunting in Colo. several years ago, with ten other buddies, from all over MS, TN, and AR....the night before opening day, one of the guys came running outta his tent, screaming, "I forgot and left my ammo, sitting on my work bench at home. Has anybody got a few .30-.06 shells I can borrow???!!!!!....about eight guy's hands shot into the air, offering him ammo....my point being, if you're a dumbazz and leave your ammo at home, it might not be easy to find ammo for an exotic caliber gun....especially, when you're on a 9,000 foot Colo. mountaintop, 45 miles from the nearest town....jmho. ;)

Big Skyz
11-03-2014, 11:19 AM
I've had all kinds of calibers and killed deer or deer sized game with everything from a .223 to a 375 H+H Magnum. I've owned a number of magnum rifles, but when all the dust clears, and I bring my head back out of the clouds, I reach for my 30.06. It just gets the job done, day in and day out. It's not a sexy exciting caliber, but it is reliable and gets the job done. I've killed countless mule deer, whitetail deer, antelope, several black bears, and a nice bull elk with it. It's also accounted for a few jackrabbits, coyotes, and badgers. In fact I just smoked this coyote with in two days ago. I buy and sell/trade a lot of rifles, but this rifle is NOT for sale and never will be while I'm alive!
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/Huntzz/Troycoyote11-1-14_zpseae699d0.jpg

Thumper
11-03-2014, 11:20 AM
My bid for the most versatile rifle ever made would have to go to the .30-06 ... hands down. You can take deer to moose to bear as you have a bazillion choices when it comes to ammo.

Another thing to keep in mind is the AVAILABILITY of ammo. I once went to Canada for a bear hunting trip and the airlines lost my luggage. I found a .30-06 to borrow but had no ammo. We were way up in Northern Ontario (above the Arctic Circle) and elebenty-bazillion miles from civilization. We were in a primitive camp at the end of a lake that was 27 miles long and would never see another soul the whole two weeks there. I managed to find a small fish camp at the end of the lake that had the basic supplies ... including .22 and .30-06 ammo! Those were the only calibers they carried. Availability AND variety should be a major factor when choosing a one-does-it-all rifle. There's is no big game in North America that couldn't be taken with an '06.

Thumper
11-03-2014, 11:22 AM
Well, I type too slowly I guess and missed the other answers ... but it looks like a common theme going here.

BarryBobPosthole
11-03-2014, 11:33 AM
Onme thing to take into consideration is what your average shot will be like. If you're like most places in the midwest, probably 90% of the shots you take will be in the 75-100 yard range or closer. That means you don't need much and like Bucky originally said, a 30-30 would suffice for whitetails just about anywhere. Most folks like the break-down power of a 30 caliber though. I can't disagree with the sentiments expressed for the 06 and probably 75% of the deer I've ever killed were with one. for closer ranges, the 06 is probably a little better and for a little longer ranges the 270 is probably a little better. The recoil is only a little bit less with a 270. If I remember the ranges, the 06 drops about 5 inches at 200 and the 270 about 3 inches. There really ain't a nickel's worth of difference. My 270 is a Remmy 700 like Eddies and my 06 is a Remmy 742 Woodmaster so there might be some difference just because of that. I'd be proud to hunt with either. I'm like Bucky though. Once I got my 270, my 06 hasn't been shot in anger a single time. I've killed two caribou and prolly a dozen deer with my 270 and they were all DRT one shot drops.that's not a big database to compare but it was enough to convince me.

Good luck with whatever you get. Captain has a 7mm08 I'd give my eye teeth for. that and the 25.06 are two calibers I'd be owning if I was still actively hunting. both are also awesome calibers to look at.

BKB

Big Skyz
11-03-2014, 11:36 AM
I also love my little 7mm08 however ammunition and bullets weight options for it are not nearly as good as it is for the 30.06.

Big Muddy
11-03-2014, 11:41 AM
Well, since Sky showed ya his, I'll show ya mine: ;)

If this gun could only talk !!!!! ;)

DeputyDog
11-03-2014, 11:42 AM
I'm looking for something that will be a good versatile rifle, that I can take anywhere that I'd have the chance to hunt and be able to use it on just about anything that I'd be hunting. I'm most likely never going to hunt Africa, so I don't need a rifle that will take down a cape buffalo or an elephant, but something adequate for most of the big game in North America.

I've always been partial to Leupold scopes and that's the only kind I have on any of my guns, so I'd be putting a Leupold on it.

The primary use will be for deer here in Indiana, but I'd like to have it versatile enough to be able to use it if I went somewhere else where I'd be taking longer shots than are possible here where I'd be hunting,

Buckrub
11-03-2014, 11:45 AM
Bingo Bango.

.30-06

NOW, do you want to get into the Remington vs. Winchester vs. Weatherby vs. the new cheapo versions of everything vs. custom vs. etc?? :)

P.S.
Dunno about your eyes, I suspect you do NOT have my eye issues. But if so, in any way, please take a look at the Leupold VX-R's. Amazing.

Thumper
11-03-2014, 11:49 AM
When my eyesight started catching up to my age, I scoped almost everything I owned. Leupold is the only scopes I've ever owned. I'm sure there are better (AND more expensive) ... but they always did everything I ever asked of them.

Thumper
11-03-2014, 11:51 AM
Awwww crap! If I didn't know better ... I'd say I just agreed with Bucky on TWO things on the same day! What's going on here? ;)

DeputyDog
11-03-2014, 11:56 AM
I was typing my last post and got distracted and didn't get it up before all the replies.

I'd seen a lot of mentions of the 270 here and I was interested to see what e everyone's opinion was since a lot of you have a LOT more experience with the rifles then I do. I've got my 870 slug gun with a rifled barrel and a 2.5 - 5X Leupold shotgun scope on it and it's sighted in at 75 yards. Most of the deer I've killed have been in the 40-75 yard range but due to the area I hunt, shots longer than 150 yards probably aren't practical.

Buckrub
11-03-2014, 12:35 PM
Sorry it upsets you so, Jimbo.

.270 put my .30-06 into the safe. But, as everyone has said, the .30-06 is more versatile and does what you say you want to do better.......

Thumper
11-03-2014, 12:52 PM
Nuttin' at all wrong with the .270 ... but your initial post ended with:

My question is, what caliber rifle would you recommend? I'd like something that would be multi-use that I could use if I ever go hunting for some other species of big game or the chance to hunt somewhere that is a lot more open country that Indiana is.

THAT (IMHO) would be the .30-06 ... hands down. I believe it is the most versatile, all-around best caliber in the country.

Oh, and if you want to put another feather in the .30-06 hat ... other than general availability, selection of bullet weights/powder combos ... it would be the most economical as far as ammo costs go. I haven't bought ammo in a bazillion years, but I assume that's still the case. Heck, you can even buy military surplus ammo if that floats your boat.

BarryBobPosthole
11-03-2014, 01:04 PM
Why would you think a 06 would be a better choice for longer ranges than a 270? That makes no sense. the 270 shoots flatter at 200+. Of course the difference isn't that marked with some loads, but if I were shooting at 200+ my choice would be a 270 every time. Hell, if I consistently shot at those ranges it'd be a 300 Win Mag though.

Its only an opinion but that's why I think 270 is a better all around choie than an 06.

BKB

Big Skyz
11-03-2014, 01:06 PM
One of the main reason's I keep going back to my 30.06 is that I don't like tracking critters after I shoot them. I get more DRT's (Dead Right There) with my 30.06 than any other caliber I've ever owned.

Buckrub
11-03-2014, 01:07 PM
The ONLY thing the .30-06 has on a .270 is the availability of bullets from 55g to 220g. No other cartridge can say that.

But if I'm deer hunting, the .270 wins hands down over the .06.

And since Jack O'Conner, this is the Argument Of The Ages.

Big Skyz
11-03-2014, 01:15 PM
If you were elk hunting I doubt you could quantify that statement...especially the "ONLY" part:"The ONLY thing the .30-06 has on a .270 is the availability of bullets from 55g to 220g."

In fact, you'll likely wish you had something even more powerful than a 30.06, but the 30.06 will get it done no problem.

I'm here with my 30.06 before I hot rodded it up with a new stock, scope, trigger, and rings. Cornholio took this photo when were taking a break about half way back to the pick up. I can honestly say I was about as exhausted as I've ever been when he took this photograph. I was thrilled to have the elk, but I really wanted to just die and have them throw snow over me. ELK ARE WORK!
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/Huntzz/TroyElk3_zpse374d671.jpg

BarryBobPosthole
11-03-2014, 01:17 PM
That's one thing on my bucket list that I've GOT to get done and soon and that's elk hunting.

BKB

Buckrub
11-03-2014, 01:17 PM
My good friend just retired as Regional Director of the RMEF. He always hunted elk with his .257 wby mag. His wall is impressive.

Buckrub
11-03-2014, 01:18 PM
That's one thing on my bucket list that I've GOT to get done and soon and that's elk hunting.

BKB

One of the two things the heart doc said I could never do.

johnboy
11-03-2014, 01:20 PM
Nobody mentioned the .308 Win. I remember the day when every gun mag, every month had an article comparing the 30-06 to the .308. Used to get pretty hot as I recollect.

Big Skyz
11-03-2014, 01:36 PM
Buckrub, I agree with your doc. Well unless you can find a guided hunt on private land where 90% of the hunting is done from a pick up truck. Those hunts do exist and I have a friend in New Mexico that guides such hunts. Not likely I will ever go with him though as elk just don't light my fire like some other animals do. I will say this though, I'm glad I got this bull when I did as I could not physically make that same hunt right now. I'm 30 lbs heavier, much older, and just don't have the stamina.

Buckrub
11-03-2014, 01:45 PM
I know man.

Truth is, I have never been mad at no Elk or no Mooses.

I am seriously mad at Mule Deer. Big time.

I found the perfect place, up there in Plentywood........I just didn't get the big one that the other two guys got. It was done to suit my way!! And there were muleys everywhere.

I just don't have another $6K to do it again. I ain't sure I've paid Visa for all of the last one!

P.S.
I shot mine with a .270, SPF Interbond..........DRT.

Buckrub
11-03-2014, 02:05 PM
Dep, no one has mentioned it, but a 7Mag would do also. I bring that up not in case you are looking for a new one, but in case you run across an amazing deal on a used one.

BarryBobPosthole
11-03-2014, 02:11 PM
One word Buckly. SHERPAS.

And 7mm's kick like a dad gum mule.

BKB

Buckrub
11-03-2014, 02:17 PM
Um.....

what???

BarryBobPosthole
11-03-2014, 02:21 PM
Sherpas. Bearers. Think safaris.

And 7MM Mags will kick like a mule. Don't know why anybody would want one. Unless it was a blue elephant gun or somesuch.

BKB

Big Skyz
11-03-2014, 02:22 PM
I've had a couple 7mmMags. I could never warm up to them. Killed a few deer and antelope with them, but more times than not the critter would run for a ways before piling up. Granted if I hit the vertebrae or head it was dead right now, but lung and heart shot deer seemed to always go for a stroll after the shot. I didn't and don't like that. Plus ammo was more expensive, it kicked harder, but didn't seem to hit the animal as hard. Of all the magnums I ever had the only one I actually really liked was the .257 Weatherby and I haven't ruled out buying another one some day.

BarryBobPosthole
11-03-2014, 02:25 PM
Just better make sure you have a bunch of eye relief on your scope with one!

BKB

Buckrub
11-03-2014, 02:28 PM
I don't like 'em, either. But DD is a LEO, and knows shooting. I just thought of it, and didn't want him to rule it out.

And, can I ride a Sherpa?

P.S.
My .257 Wby Mag kicks less than my .270........however, it is the ONLIEST Magnum I'll ever own. I just sold my cannon..........the 7MM WSM........ouch.

jb
11-03-2014, 02:33 PM
I"m with Johnyboy, 308, does everything a 06 and 270 do, short action, and just plain accurate.
Whey do you think most sniper rifles are 308, I'm sure your dept. uses them.
Ammo is always available even at the small mom and pop stores.

DeputyDog
11-03-2014, 02:37 PM
Thanks for all the input. Several guys I know around here are talking about the 300 winmag, but I remembered seeing a lot of you talk about your 270's and just wanted opinions from people that regularly shoot big animals at longer ranges than I'm used to.

Decisions....decisions.

If this does pass, it won't go into effect until next year at the earliest and then if I do buy something, we can start this debate all over again when I ask for bullet recommendations. :stirthepot

Captain
11-03-2014, 02:42 PM
I agree with the assessment of the 30/06 for all around. But If you are going with a 300 mag don't do the win mag. Get the 300 Remington ultra mag. It's a beltless casing and a much better round.

Niner
11-03-2014, 05:25 PM
Well....I typed a big ol' reply, and then finger fudged this phone keyboard and lost it.

There are a lot of cartriges built from the 30-06......
35 Whelan
25-06
7mm-08
AND I am sure I am forgetting some......

jb
11-03-2014, 05:30 PM
Actually, the 308 was derived from the 300 Savage, not a down sized 06, which in it's own right is a great round.

Niner
11-03-2014, 05:30 PM
That said...MY personal all-around favorite is the 30-06. For a lot of the reasons mentioned above. I too don't like tracking game all that much. With the bullets I've been shooting in mine for 30+ years, they are most generally DRT.

Niner
11-03-2014, 05:33 PM
Dangit JB, I think you are right.
Just going from memory here in the wilderness. [:^)

Captain
11-03-2014, 05:48 PM
The 250-3000 IS the parent case of the 300 Savage so then the 250-3000 IS the parent case of the 308, or Grand-parent as it were...dde18

Arty
11-03-2014, 05:50 PM
I'd say 06 as well. A remmy 700 bdl in 30-06 was my first rifle. Man that thing was sweet.
Like has already been said... It'll kill anything on this continent at short OR long distances.
Readily Available ammo.
Etc etc.

Bwana
11-03-2014, 06:51 PM
As has already been said, if you want a caliber that will pretty much do it all with the ultimate in over-the-counter availability, the .30-'06 is what you are looking for. Is it the best (insert critter name here) caliber? Maybe not. Will it adequately take every critter in North America? Darn tooting'.

That being said, my deer rifle is a Remington Model 700 BDL in .30-'06. It has taken whitetail, mule deer, antelope, & an elk along with numerous coyotes & other smaller critters. Would I use it on black bear or moose? Without a doubt!! On grizzly bear? I would but hesitantly. Not because the gun won't do the trick but because after seeing three grizzlies while in Glacier National Park last summer, the closest at less then 50 yards, I'm not real sure I would be real excited to hunt one period. Those suckers are BIG!!

As for a sweet shooting little caliber I have really grown to like, the 7mm-08. My wife has one and I steal it whenever she doesn't have a tag but if you don't reload then ammo availability is an issue. The .308 is another similarly great round but again with availability of ammo.

Just my two cents and worth what you paid for it.

Be sure to let us know what you decide.

quercus alba
11-03-2014, 06:57 PM
I personally shoot a 257 Roberts in the Remington BDL, as an all around caliber the 30 06 is gonna be hard to beat. However I don't think I would want a charging grizzly on the other end of my little 257 even with 120 gr partition

BarryBobPosthole
11-03-2014, 07:00 PM
I'd want a howitzer for that situation.

BKB

Buckrub
11-03-2014, 07:11 PM
Aim for the right eye.

Thumper
11-03-2014, 07:16 PM
We all know what P-hole aims for ... I just hope it's a boar! ;)

Chicken Dinner
11-03-2014, 08:52 PM
4 pages in a rifle calibre and we haven't gone off topic. That's got to be a GH record.

BarryBobPosthole
11-03-2014, 08:56 PM
My big old balls itch.

BKB

Thumper
11-03-2014, 10:34 PM
Well, you got one adjective out of two correct ... (and that one ain't "big"). ;)

Trav
11-03-2014, 10:42 PM
Well I will throw my 2 cents in, I for one like being a little different. The 30.06 is a great round but for DRT on deer I have yet to see a better round than the 25.06 heck I have 2 of them. I also have a .270 WSM and with a Barnes tsx I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a elk with it. Now that I have said all that I just ordered a semi custom .325 WSM that should be ready in about 7 months so that may end up being my new favorite. I know the elk I killed in 2011 was hit with 7 mag barns tsx in 165gr and he never took a step. The bullet broke his shoulder and went up into his spine. I guess my point is there are all kinds of choices and many of them work well so just buy several of them that is what I do.

Thumper
11-03-2014, 11:33 PM
Well, I think some here are missing the point. I also love the .25-06, .270 and the .308, etc, etc, etc, but the question is, if there could be only ONE rifle, what would be the best caliber to be able to kill any big game animal in N. America? I will stand by the .30-06 as the best SINGLE rifle to own due to it's versatility, ammo availability and economical advantages. I seriously doubt your could pick a better caliber for an ONLY rifle.

BarryBobPosthole
11-03-2014, 11:46 PM
I didn't read it as he was buying his only rifle. I read it as he was buying his first rifle. Big difference.

Besides, who do you know that hunts that only owns one?

BKB

Niner
11-04-2014, 12:07 AM
ME for many years.

Thumper
11-04-2014, 12:44 AM
QUOTE:

I now have a good excuse to buy a (as in singular) rifle.

My question is, what caliber rifle would you recommend? I'd like something that would be multi-use that I could use if I ever go hunting for some other species of big game or the chance to hunt somewhere that is a lot more open country that Indiana is.

I don't see any mention of more than one rifle now or in the future. He's gone all these years without a rifle and has only hunted with a shotgun. I assumed this recommended rifle was to replace the shotgun now that rifle hunting is allowed ... yet he wants it to be versatile enough to take other big game if he decides to go that route. Nowhere does he mention he wants separate deer rifle, antelope rifle, elk rifle, bear rifle and dragon slayer rifle recommendations. I took the request as a "one-gun-does-all" recommendation. To that, I recommended the super versatile .30-06.

DeputyDog
11-04-2014, 09:06 AM
Thanks for all the info guys. At this time I just looking for a rifle to use in case they allow the use of them for deer here in Indiana. I'd like to make it as multi-use as possible so that I don't necessarily NEED another one if I have the opportunity to hunt in other locales.

We all know that guns get lonely in the gun safe and need another of the same type to keep them company, and if you have two guns together in a dark safe, they tend to get together and multiply. (At least that's what I tell my wife when she see's how many guns I have in there.)

I'm guessing that I'd just stay with the one for quite a while since unless I travel, there won't be any need for anything else, and I just don't have the money I used to before having the kids to start buying guns that are species specific like all my shotguns are. I have a shotgun for deer, one for ducks and geese, one for turkey, one for pheasant and rabbits, etc...guns are just too damn expensive any more to get that way with rifles since I'd only be able to hunt one thing with it here.

If this does go through, and it sounds like it's going to, I'll let you know what I get and then we can start the bullet conversation. :toothy

Niner
11-04-2014, 09:57 AM
Another line of thought.
You could get an AR and then get diff uppers for it.

Thumper
11-04-2014, 10:13 AM
Prob. is Niner ... he stated money is tight!

Big Skyz
11-04-2014, 10:19 AM
Ruger American Rifle, best deal going in the gun business right now. You just can't beat it for what you get in quality and accuracy. My next choice if money was tight would be the Weatherby Vanguard it is also a fantastic rifle that won't break the bank.

Bwana
11-04-2014, 10:45 AM
Posthole, as for the hunters with only one rifle...technically that would be me. MY only rifle is my '06 affectionately called The Terminator. That being said, I stole my dad's 6mm and use it for hunting coyotes but I have used my wife's 7-08 when she isn't looking. And just so we are even more in agreement here, both my boys shoot 270's.

So I guess I am in the minority with only the one rifle (not counting .22's) but am beginning to think I need to get around to changing that.

BarryBobPosthole
11-04-2014, 11:36 AM
My old 06 is named 'Meat in the Pot'.

and here I thought naming stuff was a southern thing.

BKB

Big Skyz
11-04-2014, 12:23 PM
Mine 30.06 is called; "Old Reliable". Of all my rifles it's the only one I ever named.

Buckrub
11-04-2014, 12:44 PM
.30-06 is Betsy.
.270 is Sweetness.
New blue muzzleloader is "Blue Bell".

Can't find an appropriate name for the new .257 Wby Mag yet. I thought of Obama (constantly snuffing the veritable life out of all that it touches), but couldn't make myself do it.

LJ3
11-04-2014, 01:27 PM
My 700 BDL is called Chocolate Thunder :)

Captain
11-04-2014, 01:29 PM
My 700 BDL in 25-06 is named Death...

quercus alba
11-04-2014, 01:32 PM
Mr. Roberts for my little 257.

BarryBobPosthole
11-04-2014, 01:33 PM
My 700 BDL is called Chocolate Thunder :)

That's what Thumper names his farts.

BKB

LJ3
11-04-2014, 01:36 PM
Well, they are fairly famous. What with having a major role in the Ten Commandments and what not... Thank goodness for lambs blood.

Captain
11-04-2014, 01:36 PM
That's what Thumper names his farts. BKB
Actually I think "death" would probably be a better name for Thumpers farts...

Thumper
11-04-2014, 02:00 PM
I'm sure every one'o youse know where the stools are kept ... why don't ya'll head over that way and I'll catch up to ya'.

BarryBobPosthole
11-04-2014, 02:00 PM
Chocolate Death. Prolly about a 500 caliber.

BKB

LJ3
11-04-2014, 02:02 PM
as much as he talks out of it, I'd put it about howitzer diameter.

BarryBobPosthole
11-04-2014, 02:16 PM
I was talking about his butthole, not his dingus.

BKB

Thumper
11-04-2014, 02:31 PM
Thanks Postie ... well, for that last part anyway. ;)

DeputyDog
11-04-2014, 02:56 PM
Troy, thanks for the suggestions. It's not that I have to get a bargain basement gun, but I can't justify $1500 for a rifle used, at most, two weeks a year. My initial thought was the Remingtion 700 SPS, but I'll check out the others as well. I shoot left-handed but I don't have to have a left hand gun.

You were right on about the Ruger being a good deal. Cabelas has them on sale right now for $390, and the all-weather is $450.

The Weatherby is $550 and the Remmy is $630.

jb
11-04-2014, 04:33 PM
Look for a left handed rifle, they are out there and sometimes you can get a good deal on one as they don't get a lot of attention.

Big Skyz
11-04-2014, 05:20 PM
The good news for you is that the Ruger American is offered in left handed rifles. That is a relatively new offering from them.

Captain
11-04-2014, 07:20 PM
6 pages and still on topic....
Someone write this date down!

DeputyDog
11-04-2014, 07:20 PM
The Anschutz 22 I have is left hand, but I tried to shoot a left hand Remington 870 once and it was odd to me. I've used a righty so much that the safety being for a lefty really screwed me up.

I checked out the Weatherby's on the web and they all have a "right palm swell" so that rules them out. It looks like it's going to be hard to beat the Ruger with the price difference and both of them coming in a lefty model. That is unless there is a big difference in quality between them and the Remingtons.

Captain
11-04-2014, 07:24 PM
It looks like it's going to be hard to beat the Ruger with the price difference and both of them coming in a lefty model. That is unless there is a big difference in quality between them and the Remingtons.

That depends on who you ask....
For me it would be an easy choice.
And with that I'll shut up!

Thumper
11-04-2014, 07:29 PM
Prolly 90% of my rifles ... well, when I HAD rifles ... were Rugers. Heck, most of my handguns were even Rugers! Needless to say, I'm a huge fan of Ruger and have never had one disappoint me.

DeputyDog
11-04-2014, 07:35 PM
Capps, don't shut up. I really want everyone's opinions, that's why I started this. The question is, is there $250 worth of difference in quality between the two?

Thumper
11-04-2014, 07:40 PM
I assume he's referring to the Remingtons. I've also had my share of Remingtons ... prolly 5-6 rifles and of course my old workhorse, my 870 Deerslayer. Zero, zip, nada ... NO complaints on the Rems other than a 700 I sent to Big Sky that arrived with a rusted trigger. It was brand new out of the box, had never been fired and was always kept in my gun safe with dehumidifier. I have absolutely no clue where the rust came from and was totally unaware it existed. It's still a mystery to me. I did have an old 760 and always had to carry it by the slide as it rattled when I walked. I actually had two of them and they both did that, so I suppose that's a negative that has nothing to do with this thread really. I killed prolly a dozen black bears with that old 760 and loved it.

Buckrub
11-04-2014, 07:54 PM
I believe Cappy hates Rugers. Maybe my memory is bad. Or maybe it's Remingtons.

Or redheads.

I can't remember.

I dunno why.

Captain
11-04-2014, 08:10 PM
I don't hate Rugers, I'm just a certified Remington armor. I know those rifles and know the real (not perceived) quality that goes with them. It speaks volumes when most high end custom rifle builders in this country begin with a 700 action...

Thumper
11-04-2014, 08:11 PM
Well, Gunther is the Remington hater. Not sure if Cappy is a Ruger man or not. You know how those high-brow types turn their noses up at those lower priced guns. ;)

Thumper
11-04-2014, 08:12 PM
Dang! Posting at the same time. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
11-04-2014, 08:16 PM
Here's my opinion and then I'LL shut up.

A rifle is a tool for the most part and that's pretty much the criteria you need to use to make your decision. Black and Decker tools are fine for some people and some others will sneer at anything but Dewalt tools. It just depends on what you want to use and how you look at the purchase. There is a big difference in Black and Decker and Dewalt tools just like ere is a big difference in different rifle manufacturers. But there's obviously a market for both and there's obviously a widerange of expectations of the purchasers. You have to decide where you are on that spectrum and then buy based on your own expectations. You aren't going to war. You aren't going to starve if your rifle has a heavy trigger and you miss a deer because of it. It might boil down to e confidence in knowing you have the best money can buy. Who the hell knows, but you?
Maybe the feedback you really need is the ranges of price and quality.

BKB

Captain
11-04-2014, 08:21 PM
Chevy, ford, and that other one??? ;)

BarryBobPosthole
11-04-2014, 08:24 PM
Yep kinda likecthat too!

BKB

Big Muddy
11-04-2014, 08:43 PM
It speaks volumes when most high end custom rifle builders in this country begin with a 700 action...

Many military sniper and special forces rifles begin with the Rem. 700 action, too.

Captain
11-04-2014, 09:09 PM
Many military sniper and special forces rifles begin with the Rem. 700 action, too.
Yes sir. Best and strongest action made

Buckrub
11-04-2014, 09:16 PM
My custom smokeless ML is built on it. But I don't own a single Remington rifle. Lots of shotguns.....

Hmmm.

I don't own a single Ruger rifle either.....handguns, yes.

Hmmm.

Maybe I need to be in the market, eh?

Big Skyz
11-04-2014, 09:37 PM
I've owned Remingtons for years and it's still my #1 go-to rifle for big game. With that said their quality has varied greatly over the years. I've seen some good stuff from them and some crap (Remington 710). Even their model 700's can sometimes come out of the factory in rough shape. I've had more issues with my Remington 700's than I've had with other rifles as well. I had one of those that went off when you release the safety. I had another one the wouldn't dent the primer enough and the gun wouldn't go off until you re-engaged the bolt a second time. Then it would fire. Traded that sucker off as it caused me too much grief. Most Remington 700's need trigger tuning and adjusting. Some handle it better than others. I will still buy the occasional Remington if the price is right, but I don't look real hard at them anymore. For most of my adult life I had zero use for Ruger rifles. By their own admittance they made horrible barrels for years and years. In fact, prior to them upping the quality of their barrels and rifles overall I wouldn't even use one to prop up a lamp shade. They sucked, Ruger new it, avid guy buyers new it, and finally they got their act together. Now that doesn't mean that every new Ruger that comes off the line is "gold". However odds are in your favor that it will be a very good rifle. The American is their lowest priced rifle, but it comes with a quality barrel and a fully adjustable trigger. The stock is cheap, but the things shoot! They make great rifles for the money and are also really good guns for riding around in a pick up all day. However, the real gem of the Ruger line is their Ruger 77 Hawkeye Predator Rifle. Don't mix it up with the standard Ruger 77 Hawkeye. They aren't the same animal. The Predator is stainless steal with a magnum contour barrel. It has a great looking laminate stock and a fully adjustable two-stage target grade trigger. I have two of them and they are both stupid accurate and the local coyotes really wish I'd never, ever, ever bought one let alone two of the rifles. At first they only made them in .204 Ruger, .223, and 22-250I often said that if they'd just make it in a big game caliber I'd buy one and never look back. Well about a year or so ago they added the .308 and the 6.5 Creedmore. That 6.5 really has my attention and I have a pretty good idea I will own it soon. The Ruger Predator weighs as much as most magnum rifles. It is definitely not a light weight mountain rifle. I actually prefer it that way as it really settles in nicely for a longer shots, but it's still light enough to shoot offhand when needed. Now the catch, they aren't super cheap. Not super expensive either but at around $850.00-$900.00 they aren't exactly pocket change either. I personally think they are worth every penny and I look forward to buying another one. So there you go more things to consider...;)

treyball20
11-07-2014, 12:28 PM
I really like my 7mm but it does really kick...my sister-in-law shoot a 25-06 after shooting it myself I REALLY like it and will probably buy one in the near future for me or my boys as they get older. She shoots a 110 grain bullet and has killed things from an antelope to elk. The one bull she shot with it went 3 steps and fell over.

jb
11-07-2014, 02:08 PM
I have a great LH Remington 700 BDL in 270, I also have a LH Browning Stainless Stalker in 7mm-08, and a custom LH MRC 308. The Remington and MRC have been tweeked with glass bedding and trigger work, the Remington sits in a nice laminated thumbhole stock, the MRC sits in a custom Clairo walnut stock. The Browning is as it came from the factory and even has the BOSS on the end of the barrel.
The Remington shoots MOA or less dayin and dayout. The MRC does the same, but looks a lot prettier.
The Browning having nothing done to it will match or out shoot either one, it's just a perfect rifle and was highjacked by #3 when he started shooting.
You may wish to look a Brownings, they offer LH in a number of calibers and are priced nicely. There's good and bad said about them, but mine is a gem and they sure do sell a lot of them so they must meet someones expectations.

LJ3
11-07-2014, 02:26 PM
If this doesn't smoke Gus out, he may be daid.

BarryBobPosthole
11-07-2014, 02:29 PM
I was wondering when we'd see the word 'Remingtomb'.

BKB

Flatlander
11-08-2014, 05:32 PM
30-06 is probably the best choice. Had a couple for years on elk and deer hunts. Second would be a .308 and the heck of it is I've shot the .308 and gotten more game with it. Using Burris scopes on both. These ol' eyes aren't what they used to be.