PDA

View Full Version : Bold Sweeping Statement of the Year

BarryBobPosthole
11-05-2014, 11:33 PM
Country music has gone straight to hell.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
11-06-2014, 12:03 AM
We can probably all agree on that.

Niner
11-06-2014, 07:26 AM
Well, it ain't like Wilie's Roadhouse anymore. To me, today's Country Music all sounds like the same song.......regardless of the singer. But that's just me. I "normally" listen to the "Classic Rock" station from the next little burg over....."The hits of the 60s, 70s, & 80s".

Thumper
11-06-2014, 07:52 AM
Ya' friggin' redneck, country music has ALWAYS been hell IMHO. I guess I've been a "rocker" all my life. ;)

HideHunter
11-06-2014, 10:16 AM
a hunerd years ago (about the time "old country" became "new" country.. Probably about the time Hank Jr broke from the pack.. someone recorded a song about it - with the line, "The boy don't look (sound?) country to me." Don't remember the artist.. obviously wasn't a hit because even google can't find it.. I'm a "Classic" guy too Niner and 50s, 60s, and 70s if I can find it.

Buckrub
11-06-2014, 10:17 AM
Ya' friggin' redneck, country music has ALWAYS been hell IMHO. I guess I've been a "rocker" all my life. ;)

Curmudgeon

BIG Curmudgeon, growing exponentially weekly.

Huge.

Thumper
11-06-2014, 10:47 AM
I can pretty much say "ditto" to what Hidey-Ho posted above. As a kid, the racecar shop always had country music playing so I listened to it. It wasn't terrible, I just didn't really know the difference. Once I discovered other types of music, I never looked back. I actually like a very wide array of music from classical to blues to acid rock ... even some rap/hip hop to alternative ... but never really got into the "country" stuff. Love the 50's - 70's stuff ... mostly because it usually brings back fond memories of "growing up".

Thumper
11-06-2014, 10:55 AM
This reminds me of standing in line at an estate sale last weekend. There was a man and woman in line behind me and they had their son with them. He appeared to be maybe 15-16 years old and was wearing a Led Zeppelin t-shirt. I looked at it a laughed, then asked him if he even knew who "Led Zep" was and he said, "Heck yeah, they're my favorite band!"

Kinda surprised me. Note: I had every one of their albums and as a Freshman in college ('70), my main go-to 8-tracks were Led Zep, Led Zep II and Led Zep III.

BarryBobPosthole
11-06-2014, 11:04 AM
Funny. I was listening to 'When the Levee Breaks' all the way up to 11 just last night.

My wife made me watch the CMAs last night and that's why I made the statement that I did. These young guys who are in country music today are really just pop singers with a cowboy hat on. and you can't tell one from the other. They've become so generic you can't tell the difference. They do it because it sells records. I'll put Garth Brooks in that category because I think he started that shit.

Give me Ray Wiley Hubbard or Radney Foster or Billy Joe Shaver or Steve Earle or any other singer songwriter over the crap spewing from Nashville these days.

BKB

HideHunter
11-06-2014, 11:28 AM
Funny. I was listening to 'When the Levee Breaks' all the way up to 11 just last night.

My wife made me watch the CMAs last night and that's why I made the statement that I did. These young guys who are in country music today are really just pop singers with a cowboy hat on. and you can't tell one from the other. They've become so generic you can't tell the difference. They do it because it sells records. I'll put Garth Brooks in that category because I think he started that shit.

Give me Ray Wiley Hubbard or Radney Foster or Billy Joe Shaver or Steve Earle or any other singer songwriter over the crap spewing from Nashville these days.

BKB

Garth is one of the few I really like. I think his overwhelming talent supersedes the trend of the current industry. If you haven't seen his "new" one-man show - it's worth the time.

Thumper
11-06-2014, 11:32 AM
Ha ha! Postie, Lynn TRIED to make me watch that crap last night. I ended up in the bedroom watching American Pickers and she watched that CMA crap in the den!

LJ3
11-06-2014, 12:21 PM

BKB

Innersting story about the drum track in that song. They recorded it in an old mansion owned by that debbil guy, Aleister Crowley I think. It was a cool setup. If you're as big a Zeppelin fan as I am, you should read this book. It's a pretty cool bigraphical format.

http://www.amazon.com/When-Giants-Walked-Earth-Biography/dp/0312590393/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1415290743&sr=1-1&keywords=when+giants+walked+the+earth