PDA

View Full Version : Opening day

quercus alba
11-06-2014, 08:00 AM
for us Arkies is saturday morning. Last year was horrible, water was hip deep and the deer moved out to higher ground. This year the woods are dry with a gazzilion acorns falling every day. Lots of deer sign, bucks scraping and a few chasing does so this season has a promising start. The weather for next week is mostly going to be in the 30's for the lows and 40''s-50's for the high. I work off tomorrow for 10 days. I will shoot a buck but I primarily want Mrs Q and a couple of the boys to kill something. My job is carcass hauler and butcher. We are truly blessed to live in a land where we have the freedom to own weapons and engage in the manly art of hunting.

Good luck and safe hunting

Chicken Dinner
11-06-2014, 08:55 AM
Git 'r done, QA!

Big Muddy
11-06-2014, 09:04 AM
I thank God that my State Legislature is manned by sportsmen and women....this amendment was on our ballot on election day....it guarantees our constitutional right to hunt and fish in the state of Mississippi:

House Concurrent Resolution 30

"This proposed constitutional amendment establishes hunting, fishing and the harvesting of wildlife, including by the use of traditional methods, as a constitutional right subject only to such regulations and restrictions that promote wildlife conservation and management as the Legislature may prescribe by general law."

BarryBobPosthole
11-06-2014, 09:05 AM
We gots one of those a few years ago too.

BKB

Niner
11-06-2014, 09:32 AM
We are truly blessed to live in a land where we have the freedom to own weapons and engage in the manly art of hunting.

Amen, and amen!!

Buckrub
11-06-2014, 09:54 AM
It's Big Day Eve, Vince!

I got to go get 2 16-foot 2X4's......so I can rebuild a ladder to my 2nd favorite stand.......getting old, I'm gettin' heavy, and the lean ain't right anyway. When the coffee is drunk, I'll go to Lowe's for that. Right now my eyeballs are still stuck together.

When I get back, I have to pack the four tons of stuff that seems necessary to be gone 5 weeks!! Course, next week is 66 degrees for a day or so, followed by the Polar Vortex (who names this crazy stuff?), so I have to take everything I own. Got to go this afternoon and get groceries, at least for a week or two. Find my gun and bullets and cleaning paraphenalia and five pair of boots for every 10 degree weather change and a duffel bag full of socks and five ice chest in case I go crazy and shoot something and...........

Boy, it'd be nice to live close to where I hunt!

But tomorrow I will head out in the morning (after a visit with Mama), get to camp, spend two hours unloading, another hour riding around and checking feeders and cameras and then bring in firewood and sit my butt down.

Good times.

Buckrub
11-06-2014, 10:01 AM
OK, THIS was taken driving down I-30, on the exact road I'll be on tomorrow......

My kind of guy. A guy who makes do, who doesn't care what YOU think, and who is inventive and ..........and.....well, hungry!

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk131/Buck7088/Funny/arkredneck_zpsd78d199c.jpg (http://s279.photobucket.com/user/Buck7088/media/Funny/arkredneck_zpsd78d199c.jpg.html)

Big Muddy
11-06-2014, 10:04 AM

Big Muddy
11-06-2014, 10:07 AM
Bucky, the only thing I see wrong with your pic is the guy's car is missing a gas flap....everything else looks completely "southern" normal to me. ;)

Buckrub
11-06-2014, 10:08 AM
Ed, that's PERSACKLY what I saw.

Great minds, and all that.

I'm jealous. Sucker got TWO deer.

BarryBobPosthole
11-06-2014, 10:09 AM
OK, THIS was taken driving down I-30, on the exact road I'll be on tomorrow......

My kind of guy. A guy who makes do, who doesn't care what YOU think, and who is inventive and ..........and.....well, hungry!

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk131/Buck7088/Funny/arkredneck_zpsd78d199c.jpg (http://s279.photobucket.com/user/Buck7088/media/Funny/arkredneck_zpsd78d199c.jpg.html)

Country boy can survive!

BKB

Buckrub
11-06-2014, 10:14 AM
Looking at this...

The guy has NICE canoe struts for his car. The canoe is painted funny, but it appears to be a dang nice canoe. For all I know, there's a Yeti Soft Sided cooler in it. The canoe is strapped down tightly, it appears, and properly. It doesn't appear to be loaded down too much. The back seat looks like it has a sleeping bag and all his stuff. MG season is not open, so he got these deer with a bow if he got them yesterday. Getting two deer with a bow, in a place that takes a canoe to get to, and then getting them out, is quite the accomplishment in my book. I'm guessing he hunts public ground, because the deer are not skinned and quartered. That makes killing two deer even more of an accomplishment.

Seems what we have here is a fine young man, hard working hunter, who just doesn't waste money on things unneeded.

You go boy!

BarryBobPosthole
11-06-2014, 10:16 AM
LOL are those legs sticking up out of that canoe? I just noticed those. I thought they were some kind of oar locks or something.

BKB

Buckrub
11-06-2014, 10:16 AM
Noticer Status diminished.

Big Muddy
11-06-2014, 10:20 AM
Four legs are normal brown, and the other four look like an albino deer's legs.

Buckrub
11-06-2014, 10:22 AM
Suntan.

One deer was more prosperous.

Big Muddy
11-06-2014, 10:29 AM
Suntan.

One deer was more prosperous.

One big fat brown deer....one skinny-azz white deer....ain't that reverse racists???....where's Al and Jesse???....oh, yeah, no money to be made that way. ;)

HideHunter
11-06-2014, 10:35 AM

and hiring whores. (not that there's anything wrong with that ;) )

Thumper
11-06-2014, 11:18 AM
Ha! That busted out quarter glass reminds me of my old dealership days. I remember we had a dude come into the Caddie dealer once with a busted out quarter glass like that. I asked what happened and he said he'd locked his keys in the car and tried everything he could think of to pop the lock, but finally resorted to breaking out a window. He figured he'd break the smallest window so it wouldn't cost so much to replace. It kind of took the wind out of his sails when I explained to him that was the MOST EXPENSIVE window he could have picked. We could change a door glass in a jiffy, but the whole door had to be disassembled to change that little quarter glass! Labor is MUCH more expensive than glass. I see that all the time on the road and am constantly reminded of that story. ;)

Thumper
11-06-2014, 11:22 AM
And to add even more redneckedness to that pic, he just happens to be passing a house trailer dealer! :D

DeputyDog
11-06-2014, 11:36 AM
They ain't house trailers anymore, it's "manufactured housing". ;)

Thumper
11-06-2014, 11:46 AM
Yeah I know ...... I just had to use the term for dramatic effect. ;)

Buckrub
11-06-2014, 11:55 AM
Yep. One of about four on that stretch of road.

quercus alba
11-06-2014, 01:39 PM
Boy, it'd be nice to live close to where I hunt!
Good times

From from door to deerstand is 15 minutes max depending on which stand I hunt. and not just good times but the times that keep us in memories

Buckrub
11-06-2014, 02:15 PM
QA, they sure used to....they sure did.

But that was when I had a memory. It's long gone.......took my money with it.