PDA

View Full Version : Broken ribs....???

Big Muddy
11-06-2014, 09:56 AM
Well, I thought I'd broken a couple of ribs, yesterday....I was stacking and storing some 16 inch irrigation pipe for the winter, and lost my footing....fell a few feet, and smack dab on my lower left rib cage, when I hit the end of one of the pipes....knocked the breath, plum outta me.

When I got my breath back, I didn't feel too bad, so I finished my chore....by the time I got home, I was REALLY hurting....called my doc, and he worked me in, took xrays, and a urine sample(huh???)....xrays came back negative, and nothing was broken, so I was eager to get outta there, and headed to the truck to go home.

Doc stuck his head out the door, and told me to come back inside for a moment....I was wondering why he wanted a urine sample, and he noticed that I had a trace of blood in my urine sample....my spleen is located, directly beneath the area of my rib cage, which was injured, and that had him a bit concerned.

So, he sends me to the hospital, as an out-patient, to have an abdominal Cat Scan....within 10 minutes, I had an IV in my arm, skimpy hospital gown, with my butt showing, and was lying on the Cat Scan machine table with a hot nurse, looking down at me....she shot the dye into my IV, took pics, and I was outta there.

Long story-short....Doc called me a few hours later, and said I had a badly bruised spleen, but cat scan showed no permanent damage....Doc said to take it easy for a few days....I asked him, if climbing the ladder into a deer stand was too much physical exertion....he said that would be fine, with two exceptions....don't try to drag a dead deer and he sure would like a venison loin....gotcha covered, Doc!!! ;)

This sort of thing really makes you realize, just how quickly your life can change....one moment, you are happily going about your business, and an hour later, you're laying on an xray table.

I'm just thankful it wasn't any worse because I am one sore puppy. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
11-06-2014, 10:04 AM
Ouch! How long before that gets better, Eddie? Its gonna hurt to laugh or cough or just about anything for a while sounds like.

BKB

Buckrub
11-06-2014, 10:09 AM
Wow.

A) Can you shoot?

B) Can you set the hook?

C) What does a spleen do?

Big Muddy
11-06-2014, 10:11 AM
Yep, all of the above hurt like a mofo....I normally sleep on my left side....that ain't gonna happen for a while. ;)

Captain
11-06-2014, 10:12 AM
That's bad stuff there Eddie. Farming has so many way to get hurt it ain't funny.
Good thing you got the wench mounted on your buggy to load up them deer!

Big Muddy
11-06-2014, 10:14 AM
Wow.

A) Can you shoot?

B) Can you set the hook?

C) What does a spleen do?

Yes---Yes---and I don't know, but you can live without one because I know an old black fella, who ain't got one, any more....lost it in a car wreck. ;)

Big Muddy
11-06-2014, 10:16 AM
That's bad stuff there Eddie. Farming has so many way to get hurt it ain't funny.
Good thing you got the wench mounted on your buggy to load up them deer!

You are SOOOO right, Cap....no more deer-dragging for me. ;)

HideHunter
11-06-2014, 10:32 AM
Good for you for having it checked out - and good for your doc. an "old" friend of mine fell off a cat track last year (he's in his 90s) broke some ribs. They kept him overnite and sent him home. Few days later he got to really feeling poorly. Went back and they found his spleen was lacerated. They took it out. Few months later the tough old bastard's out running machinery again (but his son sold the dozer ;) )

Thumper
11-06-2014, 10:40 AM
I've had cracked ribs before. I have no clue if a bruised spleen feels comparable, but it sho' 'nuf ain't no picnic! Man, it hurt just to breathe!

Man-0-man, reading your story brought back some bad memories ... felt 'bout the same as PTSD! I went in for a routine physical, they found blood in my urine and next thing I knew, I was in the hospital for a CatScan ... then BOOM ... intensive care for the next 2-months wondering if I was gonna live or die!

Glad all turned out well Edward. Just take it easy and let that puppy heal.

BarryBobPosthole
11-06-2014, 10:44 AM
I had pneumonia when I was in the AF once and cracked some ribs coughing. then it hurt even more to cough. that's my only experience with them but it sho nuff feels good when it quits hurting.

BKB

Thumper
11-06-2014, 11:06 AM
A group of us had taken a float-trip down the Colorado River and a buddy of mine came down river that afternoon to pick us up and take us back up to the campground. We had big ol' truck inner-tubes and I stacked 2 or 3 of them on the bow, then laid across them to hold them down. While cruising upriver, we crossed the wake from another boat and those tubes acted like giant springs. We hit the wake, my weight compressed the tubes, then they rebounded and shot me straight up in the air! Without my weight on 'em, the wind caught 'em and slipped 'em back into the boat, I came down and landed right on the metal railing around the bow of the boat and cracked a few ribs. I spent the whole Labor Day weekend in my tent moaning and groaning in total misery. Working the next week was pure torture. I'd gone to the doc, but he said all he could do is wrap me up and let 'em heal. I can't remember how long I had to wrap that huge Ace Bandage around me, but it seemed like an eternity before I could breathe comfortably again. NOT pleasant!

Bwana
11-06-2014, 11:06 AM
Glad to hear it wasn't worse BM. As for the how quickly the health thing can change, I understand in spades.

Now go shoot a deer.