PDA

View Full Version : Interesting story ...

Thumper
11-07-2014, 02:09 PM
I went to an estate sale this morning at an old (really cool) house that was built in the early 1900's. I met an old black man at the sale and struck up a conversation with him. He was born and raised in the neighborhood and said he never left, except for the time he spent in the military during WWII. He said he knew the previous owners of the house (big grove owners) and I told him how cool the place was and how neat it was to see all the antiques and stuff there. He said it's been closed up for the past 20 years! According to him, the owners had the place tented and fumigated for termites, but the company accidentally used the wrong pesticide (I assume DDT?). The owners were never allowed back in the house and after a big lawsuit, the pest control company was forced to purchase the house and all it's contents. It had to stay vacant for 20 years before they could do anything with it. Dang! It was like walking into a time capsule as everything in the house was already OLD when it was closed up.

Anyway, I had a blast talking with this old guy. I learned the history of the town (about 30 mins. from my house) and heard some really cool stories. I could have listened to him all day. Come to find out he is the City Commissioner at 94 years old and is in the process of putting together a complete history of the town for their upcoming centennial celebration. (100 years since it became incorporated)

Heck, I had such a good time talking with him, I almost forgot to dig around for stuff to buy. I still landed a few trinkets here and there to sell, but I'll always have the memory of this old guy and the stories he had to tell. He was born into a family of grove workers, worked the groves himself for wealthy citrus people in the area and never left his birth place. It's a shame to see people like this pass on. I kinda wish I'd have stuck around a bit longer and just spent a few more hours talking with him.

I may not have made a lot of money today, but I had a VERY interesting and informative morning. That in itself is priceless.

Thumper
11-07-2014, 02:17 PM
BTW .. this house was no shack. It was a HUGE place ... 3-stories in fact and about 3 out-buildings. It had a "pool house" that the old man told me was originally the servant's quarters. It was on a lake and on about 10 acres of property. All quality woodwork inside, hard wood floors, brass doorknobs, leaded glass windows, etc etc etc. Neat place.

Big Muddy
11-07-2014, 02:23 PM
A person can learn a lot from those old timers, both black and white.

Thump, is the house gonna be torn down, or what???

Thumper
11-07-2014, 03:07 PM
No, it's been sold. From what the old man told me, there was a big group of guys running in and out of the place wearing "space suits" last month. I assume they gave it a clean bill of health. I was told the pest control company sold the place a few years back for $80,000 with the understanding it couldn't be opened up until the end of this year. The people who just bought it paid something like $350,000 for the place. Somebody made a good investment a few years ago! I guess the new buyers only got the buildings and (real) property, but none of the contents.

Big Skyz
11-07-2014, 03:09 PM
I enjoyed that.

Thumper
11-07-2014, 03:33 PM
I just pulled up the real estate listing ... here's a pic of the place. It's on a huge lake (can't see in the pic) and that's the "pool house" on the far right. Also, I forgot this part of the story. The old man told me the guy who built the house discovered oil in one of his orange groves.

Experience the History behind this Amazing Home that was Custom Built by the Great Oil Barron Reverend J M Critchlow.

6 bedrooms, 7 baths, 6,281 sq ft

SALE PENDING $379,900

http://photos1.zillowstatic.com/p_f/IS1j36yheudn1i0000000000.jpg

Arty
11-07-2014, 03:50 PM
You big dufe.... He was there to distract you while his son went inside and loaded up on all kinds of shit that you would've gotten!

Thumper
11-07-2014, 03:59 PM
Damn! :(