PDA

View Full Version : short trip report

quercus alba
11-10-2014, 03:05 PM
it's been a miserable season so far, I've been about a half dozen times with it hot, windy and rainy. Haven't seen a deer but there was too much sign in the woods to give up. So ms Q and I hit the woods just before seeing light. About 7;30 a spike (not legal in Arkansas) stepped out and stared at me for about 45 seconds then went back the way he came from. I had only heard a few scattered shots but I had seen a deer so it was already worth the hunt. At 8;00 I heard a deer grunt about 50 times in the cutover behind me. I've never heard one do that, just uh, uh, uh non stop for about a minute. Then i saw a deer moving fast heading toward the grunting. I barely had time to get my gun up when he came plowing out of the woods 29 steps from me. I was a fair country wing shot in my day so a well placed 140 grain ballistic tip thru both shoulders broke up the fight before both combatants even got in the ring.

Not a huge rack but he was a big bodied rascal. Unlike some of our resident fisherman I did post photos and put them in the correct spot.

Chicken Dinner
11-10-2014, 03:16 PM
That's a good looking deer !

BarryBobPosthole
11-10-2014, 03:22 PM
You are an oak, Mr Quercus.

BKB

Bwana
11-10-2014, 04:30 PM
Very nice

Thumper
11-10-2014, 04:49 PM