PDA

View Full Version : Couldn't find..

HideHunter
11-11-2014, 01:58 PM
the "Hunting Forum" :biggrin so I'll post it here.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7574/15581152378_81b7a7215b_c.jpg

Don't know if I mentioned I bought a new "'coon gun". Magnum Research in .22 mag. Houge stock, 4 1/2 pounds, superbly accurate.. trigger is going to take some work. Supposed to have a couple weeks of below normal temps here. Looking forward to chasing them.

Big Skyz
11-11-2014, 02:14 PM
I wish I knew how to do that better. I'm totally envious of how well you have that coon whacking and stacking down to a science.

Captain
11-11-2014, 04:08 PM
I got one stand and feeder where every night I get pictures of at least 4 coins and have seen a picture of 7 there at one time. They have got to be staying very close by cause they are there at dusk every night.
That is very cool the way you got them laid out and I think one of them kinda has his head turned a little. :D

Captain
11-11-2014, 05:24 PM
Just got done deleting over 400 pictures of them trashy coons at my feeder... 3938
This is the group of 4 above

This is the other group of 3 larger ones. I have seen all 7 together several times...

Thumper
11-11-2014, 06:09 PM
I think ol' Hidey-Ho may want to come down there and do a bit of "thinning out"! ;)

HideHunter
11-12-2014, 11:38 AM
I do love harassing them. Sky - just do it. Way easier than coyotes. lol.. you do have 'coons Cap'n.

Big Skyz
11-12-2014, 11:48 AM
So HH, what perzactly should I be looking for when wanting to call raccoons? Old out buildings, abandon homesteads, cottonwood trees?

Chicken Dinner
11-12-2014, 12:02 PM
I'm not sure what I'd like to do more, coon hunt with you or coyote hunt with Big Sky some day.

Big Skyz
11-12-2014, 12:09 PM
Chicken Dinner why would a guy have to choose between the two? A guy could always do both. :)

HideHunter
11-12-2014, 12:38 PM
I personally, prefer den trees. Big, old cottonwoods are a mainstay. Don't know of you have sycamores and basswood out there but they are another good bet. Any hole bigger than a softball is worth looking at. I start with either "baby raccoon distress" or "young coon distress". Coons, especially older females, will often respond to one of these. I'll play these for a couple minutes. If you get lookers that won't commit - or - don't see anything - I go to "raccoon fight". Now, be ready, because if something is going to happen it most like will now - and often, fast. Head-shots are what you strive for and DO NOT shoot at a coon until it completely clears the hole. I can't stress this enough.They are absolutely uncanny about dragging themselves back in if you don't kill them outright. If a coon dies in a tree you not only lose the coon but you are done with that tree for the season - usually two seasons.

Some coon are coming out to join the fight and some are coming out to run. Either way - be ready. Old buildings, brushpiles and rock dens can hold coon - and you'll kill some out of them - but I have far better luck in den trees. If I don't see anything in 3-4 minutes I'm gone. If I see a coon, I may work on him on him for 10. With experience you kind of get a feel for the ones that will work. Also watch for coons coming in on the ground. This is when it gets really exciting. ;) Check your laws. We can't hunt with a light here at night unless "treed with the aid of dogs". But, they tell me this is super-effective after dark.....

Here's a short video a guy just posted that gives a good, quick synopsis. (Uh, it's not always quite that effective - or easy ;) )

http://iowatrapperstalk.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/7931/Coon_Calling_Video

Big Skyz
11-12-2014, 01:10 PM
HH, that video link sends me to a login page, not the video. :(

HideHunter
11-12-2014, 04:49 PM
Comes up for me - Evidently you have to be a member. Go to YouTube and search for "Coon Calling A Crash Course"..

Chicken Dinner
11-12-2014, 04:57 PM
True dat. I'll text both of you when I'm on the way...

Chicken Dinner why would a guy have to choose between the two? A guy could always do both. :)

BarryBobPosthole
11-12-2014, 05:15 PM
Once at a fish camp down on Broken Bow Lake in southeast Okieland, I invented what is still affectionately known as the Acme Coon Trap. It was about like you'd imagine, a stick, a long piece of string, and a big Rubbermaid Tote. And of course a piece of leftover food for bait. We had great fun sitting by the campfire and catching coons all night long in it. When they couldn't get out of the Tote on their own is the only time it really got to be REAL fun, depending on whichever drunk ass volunteered to go turn it loose. We worn those damn coons out that night.

BKB

Captain
11-12-2014, 05:17 PM
Sounds like there might have been some herb involved with all that..😋

BarryBobPosthole
11-12-2014, 05:23 PM
Nah, just sour mash mainly.

BKB

HideHunter
11-13-2014, 11:25 PM
Where they fell. Got one more. Kept it dry. ;)