PDA

View Full Version : I Cuss Too Much

LJ3
11-12-2014, 01:33 PM
I know this of myself. I always cussed to a degree, until I joined the Army. Then it got much worse.

I'd like to change that about myself but its so ingrained in me now I'm not sure I can do it. I do use substitute words when I'm in the house with certainpeoplewhoshallremainnameless. "Sugar" for times when I'd say shit. "Fudge" for times when fuck would be used.

Anyone ever try to go cold turkey?

Any tips?

Chicken Dinner
11-12-2014, 01:44 PM
Can't help you. I cuss for effect, but can turn it on and off as needed. My wife on the other hand doesn't even realizes she's doing it half the time....

Bwana
11-12-2014, 01:55 PM
If you figure it out please let me know.

Big Skyz
11-12-2014, 01:56 PM
Yes, my suggestion is to not try to quit cold turkey. Just try to cut back at first. Maybe pick a word to try and no longer use in your vocabulary and once you've mastered that move on to another word. I don't cuss much at all, but it's taken me the better part of my lifetime to overcome it. I still have my moments, but at least now they are moments and not hourly or minute to minute occurrences. :) I will say this though, since I rarely do cuss, when I do, people scatter, because it has a much more profound effect when it's not part of your usual nature. Well intelligent people scatter, stupid people stick around and get what's coming to them. ;)

Chicken Dinner
11-12-2014, 02:03 PM
I can second what BS says. As a child, I had an uncontrollable temper. Most people who know me now would find that hard to believe. I have found that when I lose my temper or curse in anger, it really gets people's attention.

Thumper
11-12-2014, 02:20 PM
Actually, I'm pretty much a Big Sky clone when it comes to cussing. Growing up, I never once heard my parents utter so much as one cuss word. Heck, even though I heard it in church all the time, I though Hell was the worst cuss word I ever heard! Now, I did hear my fair share of cussing around the race tracks back in the day, but it was kinda like tattoos ... back in those early, growing up years ... I thought only dirtbags cussed and/or had tattoos. NO offence to any of youse tatted up dufes ... it was a different time and with no exposure at home, I generalized and it simply seemed like tattoos, cussing and Schlitz Beer went hand in hand. ;)

I don't cuss much ... but I will blurt out a string of cuss words when really pissed off! In everyday talk, I have an automatic filter and don't even think about it ... if in a certain crowd (women, elders, business, etc) I won't even utter anything close to a cuss word ... around a bunch of dude friends, the "softer" words may fly from time to time ... (ass, shit, damn, hell and an occasional f-bomb) ... but nothing really drastic or regular.

I guess I've just never been much of a cusser. (is that even a word?)

BarryBobPosthole
11-12-2014, 02:47 PM
Well mother.....

I don't cuss when I'm mad. In fact I don't talk at all when I'm mad. I do know how to behave in polite society and I know when its inappropriate and I do try. But for the most part, my own opinion is my vocab is not going to limited just because somebody doesn't like the meaning of a word. Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke.

BKB

treyball20
11-12-2014, 03:00 PM
I grew up in a household that said VERY few cuss words if any that I can remember. My mom would say people who cuss can't think of anything more intelligent to say I guess that has always stuck with me. Do I cuss yes, but VERY limited. BS has some great advise.

Hombre
11-12-2014, 03:01 PM
If this is your worst flaw you're in good shape...cuss away

LJ3
11-12-2014, 03:04 PM
I have many fucking flaws, this just happens to be one on the list of things I have a shot at changing if I put my mind to it :)

BarryBobPosthole
11-12-2014, 03:08 PM
Hey stop cussing fat ass. and stop saying fuck between every two fucking words will ya?

BKB

DeputyDog
11-12-2014, 03:18 PM
I'm pretty bad about it mainly due to my job. There are a lot of people that just don't pay attention to you in my line of work unless you emphasize what you are saying with a few f-bombs. I try to keep it limited to those situations, but it tends to spill over. I have been working on trying to keep it in check, but it's a struggle.

Buckrub
11-12-2014, 04:33 PM
Just stop.

I do say "bananas"!

Learn other words. There are lots of 'em. It can be done. Good luck.

BarryBobPosthole
11-12-2014, 04:41 PM
Fine. I'll start calling people hoopleheads then.

Ya fuckin hooplehead.

BKB

HideHunter
11-12-2014, 04:58 PM
Like CD - I can turn it on and off depending on the company and situation. I have a very good friend who swears like a sailor and he uses all the *really good* ones - regardless of company. I can't help but cringe sometimes - but everyone else seems to take it in stride. As Thump alluded to - it's a different world. ;)

Big Skyz
11-12-2014, 05:35 PM
BBP, you reminded me of watching Scarface on public TV. I was wondering how they were going to broadcast it when the F-word is used so much in that movie. They substituted the F-word with the word "love". It made for some hilarious conversations that were supposed to be very intense. I was telling a co-worker about watching the show the next day, and he started to laugh as he thought of how he could creatively substitute the word love in the same manner. Shortly after our conversation another teacher walked in the Teacher's Lounge that neither of us cared for very much. First thing my co-worker did was look the guy right in the eye and said; "Hey man, LOVE YOU!" I had to leave the room I got laughing so hard. Just goes to show that sometimes substituting a word for another can still have a fairly profound effect. ;)

Thumper
11-12-2014, 05:56 PM
I remember watching a comedy skit (can't remember who did it) and it was hilarious. All they did was take an innocent sentence and leave a word or words out. Of course, if you had a dirty mind, it was even funnier. For the life of me I can't remember any of them, but an example would be (their facial expressions would make it funnier) ...

Jack and Jill went up the hill to ----!

Niner
11-12-2014, 07:36 PM
I used to cuss like the proverbial Sailor. Oh yeah, I was one of those farging bastages for a time.
A couple of years ago, I started making a conscious effort to clean up my language, and usually catch myself saying "a bad word".
It's a work in progress, so to speak.

This thread got me to thinking about Johnny Dangerously.......

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dv8tVxk6Nj4?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

quercus alba
11-12-2014, 08:20 PM
Different people use different motivation. Mine is primarily religious but I also want to be considered enough in control of myself to behave in a dignified way. It can be done, just takes some self discipline. If you notice, you control your tongue when you're around people you don't want to curse in front of.

jb
11-12-2014, 08:55 PM
Very few as a kid, in fact when we went to the movie. (To Hell and Back)in the 50's non of use knew the word Hell, we told our parents we went and saw the movie, (To Hold them Back)
Picked up a few in the service and used them to much in College, got corrected a few time by some frat. brothers and toned it down some.
Today if I have one that I use to often it's "shit" Wife is a non swearing lady, but if she drops the f bomb you know you really really screwed up.
I do not hear any of my kids swear, would be very surprised if I did.
Even my LEO son has a very commanding voice to go along with his size, and goes without swearing.

Big Skyz
11-12-2014, 09:05 PM
JB, I actually noticed that about your boys when y'all were out here. I was very impressed by both of them and appreciated their clean language. I knew if any of you came to my home I wouldn't have to worry about what would be said around my wife and children. I'm pretty protective about that home environment.

jb
11-12-2014, 09:28 PM
Thanks Sky, really miss those trips, don't know if I'll ever be able do it again, but the memories will last forever.
I'm sure someday you may hear from #3, you don't know how much of an impression you made on him.

Thumper
11-12-2014, 09:30 PM
For an old road hunter, he's a pretty decent guy, ain't he Bubba? ;)

Buckrub
11-12-2014, 10:14 PM
Meeting many of you is truly one of my life's best memories.

Big Skyz
11-12-2014, 11:32 PM
JB, you make sure to tell him he is welcome anytime and I mean that.

Captain
11-13-2014, 08:16 AM