PDA

View Full Version : A nice boring post for hunting season.

Thumper
11-16-2014, 11:44 AM
But I can't help myself as I'm a little bit excited here. As youse dufes know, I USED to collect razors ... until I found out they were worth something. Then I became a buyer/seller! ;)

Anyway, in these estate sales, I rarely find any razors worth a flip. Plastic injector or cartridge type razors at best, usually disposables and electrics (electrics are totally worthless BTW). Every once in a great while, I'll run across a long forgotten razor in the back of a bathroom drawer ... but they're far and few between. Well, this last couple weeks has been a real wind-fall! Last weekend I scored two razors that looked brand new ... still in their original plastic cases. I picked up one for 25-cents and one for 50-cents ... they're worth an easy $125 - maybe $150!

THIS weekend, I ran across 4 razors at one sale and 3 more at another! (the only two sales I attended) I paid a total of $13.50 for all of them. Now, I'll admit, they were pretty nasty and I had no clue what they looked like under all the crud (old soap/shave cream build-up, etc), but I knew I could make an improvement with a little cleaning. I just spent the last hour doing some scrubbing and they came out pretty nice.

Total investment? $14.25 and an hour of elbow grease.

What are they worth? An EASY $400.00!

Yep, I'm a happy camper. :D

HideHunter
11-16-2014, 12:27 PM
Just amazing what people collect ain't it? ;)

Thumper
11-16-2014, 12:42 PM
Here are a couple more "scores" from the weekend.

I ran across an old Telefunken Opus radio. They wanted $40 for it ... I passed. Went back on Saturday for 1/2 price day and it was still there at $20. I offered $10 and they took it! The reason nobody bought it is because it didn't work (just a loud hum). Ok, for youse potential pickers out there ... many times, that's all you're gonna get from an old radio (or tv). They sit, the capacitors dry out over time and you'll get nothing but a hum when you turn it on. I pulled the back, all the tubes light up, so I know what the problem is ... most ALL of these old gals need to be re-capped after years of storage. I can do one myself for about $15 in parts. Not sure if I'll recap this one or sell it "as is".

What's it worth? 'Bout $350-$500! :D

I also came across an old Numechron Tymeter "flip clock" that I picked up for $2.00 It should bring an easy $40.

I picked up a shit-load of smalls ... but I won't bore you with those ... heck, for all I know, I'm boring you with the crap above that I'm excited about. :(

All-in-all, it was a good weekend.

BarryBobPosthole
11-16-2014, 12:47 PM
That's some good hunting right there Thumper! That last old clock reminded me of my first digital clock. It had little cards that flipped over every minute. Before the days of leds!

BKB

Thumper
11-16-2014, 12:55 PM
I had one of those too Postie! It sat next to my bed and the noise of that thing flipping 'bout drove me bonkers until I got used to it ... then I couldn't even tell you if it was working or not, without looking at it.

Captain
11-16-2014, 04:22 PM
I use to have one of those "flippers" too. I remember setting the time forward or back on them it sounded like you were shuffling cards.....

Big Skyz
11-16-2014, 05:13 PM
Thump I find these posts absolutely fascinating. It's always interesting to learn what people will buy. I too, had one of those stupid flip clocks. Never did warm up to that thing.

BarryBobPosthole
11-16-2014, 05:16 PM
Call me a curmudgeon but I think that old flip card clock is what made me a permanent analog watch person. You don't have to read an analog watch, you just look at it and you know what time it is. You have to do math to tell time on a digital watch or clock. Unless you wanna be THAT guy who says shit like "Its 3:46". Then the person who asked what time it was has to do math too. Those things are worse than communism.

BKB

Thumper
11-17-2014, 09:15 AM
Ok, I'll be the first ..... Curmudgeon! ;)

I prolly have elebenty-bazillion $$$ worth of watches in the safe. Lynn's Rolex is one of them. Neither of us has worn a watch in years and simply use our cell phones. We do the same for alarms ... no alarm clock needed these days. I've wanted to sell those watches but Lynn is the "sentimental type" ... they were all gifts ... her to me or me to her. So what? We don't need them, we don't use them, it's time to move on. But no way ... she ain't goin' for it. I suppose years from now, some dang dirt bag will buy that stuff at an estate sale and sell it on eBay. :(

Buckrub
11-17-2014, 09:24 AM
Call me a curmudgeon but I think that old flip card clock is what made me a permanent analog watch person. You don't have to read an analog watch, you just look at it and you know what time it is. You have to do math to tell time on a digital watch or clock. Unless you wanna be THAT guy who says shit like "Its 3:46". Then the person who asked what time it was has to do math too. Those things are worse than communism.

BKB

I learned from my great grandmother...........born in 1869..............died at 99........... as soon as the minute hand moved a bit past the top of the hour, say 10:01, she'd say "Well, it's going on eleven o'clock!"........

Close enough. I have TWO times I care about. Dark and Daylight.

BarryBobPosthole
11-17-2014, 09:28 AM
I have a watch problem too. I probably have six. Three are my favorite kind of watch, Movado. I do try to find an excuse to wear them once in a while. I have no idea why I like watches so much. The one I wear regularly now is a Tissot and has a barometer/weather predicter, a compass, an alarm, an altimeter, a thermometer, and of course it tells time too. All of those functions works off the hands of the watch. The weather or 'meteo' function just tells you if the barometer is rising or falling and the barometric pressure. Its actually fairly accurate in predicting when a front is going to come through. The compass function is the coolest.
I NEVER would have thought in a million years I'd go for something that nerdy, but its a pretty cool friggin watch! I guess that makes me one.
BKB

Buckrub
11-17-2014, 09:32 AM
On February 25, 2011, I threw all mine as far as I could throw them.

Chicken Dinner
11-17-2014, 09:39 AM
I'm not a jewelry person at all. But, I feel absolutely naked without a watch and own a few that I wear at different times...

Thumper
11-17-2014, 09:49 AM
I had a boss once ... actually the owner of a Cadillac dealership in Los Angeles. He was a younger, playboy type (inherited the dealership from his dad) and he'd irritate the crap out'ta me by missing appointments. I'd set up a meeting with him and schedule my day around it, but he'd ALWAYS come dragging in late and show up in my office hours after our scheduled time. It used to piss me off to no end. One time he came dragging in late and I made a some comment like, "Paul, why don't you replace that old Rolex 'cause it obviously doesn't keep time!" He pulled up his sleeve, showed me his bare wrist and told me, "I don't wear a watch." (He ALWAYS wore suits and I never even realized he didn't wear one) When I asked why ... he said he doesn't care what time it is! AARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Ok, I'll morph this into a funny story. When I applied for that job, the General Manager was the one who interviewed me and the owner (mentioned above) sat in on the interview. The GM eventually asked, if I were to be hired, what would my goal be with the company. I pointed at him and said, "Your desk!" The owner busted out laughing, stood up and said, "This interview is over ... HIRE that man!" Then he walked out of the office. I went to work there the following week. True story. :D

BarryBobPosthole
11-17-2014, 09:52 AM
To things you have to know at all times:

1. Which way is North.
2. What time it is.

How else do you know your place in the space-time continuum?

BKB

Captain
11-17-2014, 09:55 AM
To things you have to know at all times: 1. Which way is North. 2. What time it is. How else do you know your place in the space-time continuum? BKB

Bingo!

Thumper
11-17-2014, 09:56 AM
My iPhone has a compass and a clock ... both problems solved. ;)

Buckrub
11-17-2014, 10:06 AM
To things you have to know at all times:

1. Which way is North.
2. What time it is.

How else do you know your place in the space-time continuum?

BKB

SOME of us have no problem whatsoever knowing that..................

Thumper
11-17-2014, 11:27 PM
Cool beans man. Spotted this clock on Friday (flip clock above) ... they were asking $30.00. I went back Saturday, it was still there for $15.00. Messed around 'til late Saturday morning and offered 'em $2.00 "to take it off their hands". They let me have it. Listed it Sunday. Sold it on Monday for a "Buy-It-Now" of $47.50! That's how to turn 'em around! ;)