PDA

View Full Version : The College Kid didn't forget...

Bwana
11-17-2014, 04:55 PM
...how to shoot. My oldest came back this past Friday night with plans of filling his doe tag over the weekend. I had a hearty lunch all packed up along with the other goodies needed for a day of hunting but our day was cut short by a single 170 yard shot from his trusty .270 only 10 minutes after shooting light. Ended up eating our sandwiches at home for dinner with Momma and little sis after hanging and skinning out his critter. Given it was -8 degrees at the time of the hunt and a toasty 0 degrees by noon, we ended up cutting up her up that afternoon so the boy had some canned deer to take back to college with him the next morning.

Just as she fell:

The happy hunter:

A 6 hour drive home, followed by another hour to the ranch we had permission to hunt, and then it was all over in 10 minutes. Gotta love it when a plan comes together.

Chicken Dinner
11-17-2014, 05:18 PM
Nice work!

BarryBobPosthole
11-17-2014, 05:22 PM
All in a day's work!

BKB

Buckrub
11-17-2014, 05:29 PM
College?

He looks 11 years old! (course, so does everyone these days).

WAY TO GO BOY! Great shot. Great smile. (he looks like his Mama)

Thumper
11-17-2014, 06:31 PM
-8 degrees??? 0 degrees??? Our thermometers would freeze up at those temps! I'm sittin' here in shorts and no shirt soakin' up the a/c right now. Youse Yankees are some real nut cases!

Other than the obvious mental problems ... NICE deer and sounds like a great (although short) time was had by all. I had to re-read the end of that first paragraph though ... I guess all that college talk reminded me of MY college days.

... the boy had some canned deer to take back to college with him the next morning

I thought that said "canned beer"! WTF??? Canned DEER??? You Yanks really are weird! ;)

Thumper
11-17-2014, 06:36 PM
I know, I know ... a Yankee to me is anyone who lives west of the Mississippi and east of the Mississippi ... north of the Mason-Dixon Line. ;)

Bwana
11-17-2014, 07:09 PM
Thumper, back in my college days I would have been right there with you but for a whole host of reasons I'm glad the boy isn't like I was at that time of my life.

As for the canned deer the first time I ever heard about it was from Big Sky. Finally got around to trying it after all these years and have to say even though its not very appealing to look at it sure tastes good!

BarryBobPosthole
11-17-2014, 07:12 PM
Bwana, will you be posting a recipe for this canned deer? Sounds mighty interesting.

BKB

Captain
11-17-2014, 07:19 PM
Very cool. Congrats.
I know yall have had a lot on your shoulders lately. Good to know you can sorta relax for a bit.

HideHunter
11-17-2014, 09:18 PM
xellent!

DeputyDog
11-17-2014, 09:21 PM
We can deer every year. Goes good with noodles or bbq'ed, or anything else you would use shredded beef for.

Bwana
11-17-2014, 11:44 PM
Don't really have a recipe so would be interested to hear what others use.

As for me, I prep the jars by putting them in the dishwasher for a bit. The venison is cut into small chunks, seasoned with salt and pepper, then put into a pot with onion & garlic to boil until cooked. Then the meat is placed into the jars, covered with the broth that results from boiling the ingredients, and then the jars are sealed.

Buckrub
11-18-2014, 09:11 AM
Um..........to "can" in the Southern use of the word, you'd have to have one more step......submerge those sealed jars in boiling water.

Then there's the "Pressure Cooker"..........which I will go to my grave hearing that hissing rhythmic sound thereof...........

Captain
11-18-2014, 09:25 AM
Bucky I think it's that's what he meant by "the jars are sealed"

Chicken Dinner
11-18-2014, 09:33 AM
I've never done it, but have heard it's really good. I always thought the meat was cooked in the jars though. Not sure why, but maybe it's because that's how they do veggies.

Chicken Dinner
11-18-2014, 09:37 AM
It looks like you can to it either way - hot pack or cold pack. I like the idea of cold pack and may give it a try. Just add some salt, pepper corns and garlic cloves. (Maybe even some herbs de provence...)

http://www.ehow.com/how_2073380_can-venison.html

Captain
11-18-2014, 09:41 AM
When I went on my trip of a lifetime with JB out to hunt with Big Sky, Mrs Sky gave me two jars to bring home. I had never seen this done before. It was out of this world good. I have no clue how she did it but even though she was in the process at the time we were out there. I wish I had spent a little more time with her and watched and learned that process.
As far as I know no one cans meat around here. Vegetables are canned all the time but I've never seen meat canned till then.

Thumper
11-18-2014, 09:44 AM
submerge those sealed jars in boiling water

Huh? I'm not sure what you mean by "sealed" Buckster. You don't submerge the SEALED jars in boiling water ... you lay the loose seals on top of the jars to heat them, then when they cool, they seal themselves. If it's sealed tight with a lid (retainer band), the dang thing would explode.

Actually, meat should be sealed in a pressure cooker because boiling water will not be hot enough to kill all the bacteria. Only things like tomatoes, pickles, fruit, jellies, etc ... (I think it's acidic foods) should be canned using boiling water as the bacteria won't grow in acidic foods.

As a kid, I'd helped my grandmother do her canning and she had a whole cellar full of home-canned foods at all times.

The thought of canning meat just by boiling would kinda bother me a little. Get a pressure cooker to get the temps up a bit.

Buckrub
11-18-2014, 09:49 AM
Yeah.

http://www.freshpreserving.com/getting-started

Thumper
11-18-2014, 09:54 AM
Well, heck, I was looking it up as you posted. The last time I helped my grandmother, I was prolly 10-11 years old, so my memory may be a little off. I didn't really know the difference between a "pressure canner" and a "pressure cooker" ... but I guess she used a pressure canner. (?)

Here's a video from Ball that pretty much explains why boiling ain't gonna do it.

<iframe width="639" height="359" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_aZmFKY-qlA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thumper
11-18-2014, 09:56 AM
Dang Bucky, I just checked your link and it's the same page I pulled the video from. I'd be a bit nervous just boiling those canning jars.

Niner
11-18-2014, 11:27 AM
Good deal on the nice doe. Lots of meat for eating.

Glad you posted some pics over in the pic palace!!!!

treyball20
11-18-2014, 11:28 AM
congrats to your son it is ALWAYS a great time hunting with family

DeputyDog
11-22-2014, 02:30 PM
Bwana, will you be posting a recipe for this canned deer? Sounds mighty interesting.

BKB

Here's how we do it. Cube the meat, pack it into a pint jar almost to the top, add a bouillon cube, then put the jars in the pressure canner for 75 minutes at 10 lbs. You could add any seasoning into the jar that you would want, then just follow the directions for raw pack meat for your canner.