PDA

View Full Version : Look here...

Captain
11-17-2014, 07:25 PM
I live in the SOUTH. I put it up with all sorts of heat and humidity during the summer so I won't be frozen to death during the winter.
That said it is suppose to be 16 freakin' degrees here Wednesday morning. That is INSANE for this time of year. We will get that usually January or February for a day or two but this is November.
You folks up north need to get yalls stuff together and keep this crap up there!

BarryBobPosthole
11-17-2014, 07:28 PM
That's our low for tonight. This could be setting up for an interesting winter.

BKB

Buckrub
11-17-2014, 09:12 PM
I R Cold.

P.S.
EVERY Yankee that has ever visited this area in the dead of winter, freezes to death............... I don't know why. I was in Montana when it was 16 and snow covered....in a t shirt. The day before was colder, but their 'snow' was flakes about the size of a gnat's eyeball. One day, is all I got to compare. I realize 50 below and wind of a million mph is COLD. I get it.

But this? This is tough.

P.S.
Wonder where the skeeters and wasps are tonight?

HideHunter
11-17-2014, 09:21 PM
6 here tonite. If it makes it will surpass a record set in 1891. Cold doesn't bother me. But - damned wind is blowing up to 30mph. It could quit that.

DeputyDog
11-17-2014, 09:29 PM
Looking for a high of 19 tomorrow. It's currently 14 degrees with a wind speed of 15 MPH gusting to 25 MPH. Have a couple inches of snow on the ground and it's blowing all over. If it stays like this, it's gonna be a real looooooong winter.

Captain
11-18-2014, 08:01 AM
For the love of Pete it's cold this morning. I think in the morning instead of hunting over a corn feeder I'm gonna get here early and build a bonfire near the feeder. I'm sure within an hour or so deer will be stacked up around the fire like hobos to a trash can fire!
Makes more sense than what I'm doing.

Thumper
11-18-2014, 08:56 AM
Youse dang Yankees need to keep this crap up there where it belongs! It ain't s'posed to get above 57 friggin' degrees here today! It was 82 yesterday! WTF???

Looks like a 2-day "cold snap" ... 64 tomorrow, then 70, 72, 81, 84, 84 the rest of the week. Hmmmm, mid-80's this weekend ... maybe I'll go to the beach. :D

Cappy ... next thing we know, you'll be insulating those condos! ;)

Buckrub
11-18-2014, 08:57 AM
Cappy really!!

Just how many 2lb propane bottles can one man acquire??!!!??? I swear! I need a circulation transplant.

It's FIFTEEN degrees here, Farencelsheit or something. Hardly measurable.

Chicken Dinner
11-18-2014, 09:09 AM
At least the cold should keep the deer moving.:D

Buckrub
11-18-2014, 09:12 AM
BULL PEE FEATHERS

For many years, we thought that too. Yeah, they don't move well when it's 80, for sure........... but when there's heavy frost, and really cold...........they sleep in till about 9:00................

I'm pretty sure of that.

Captain
11-18-2014, 09:17 AM
Cappy really!! Just how many 2lb propane bottles can one man acquire??!!!??? I swear! I need a circulation transplant. It's FIFTEEN degrees here, Farencelsheit or something. Hardly measurable.

Bucky I probably have around 50 of those little gas bottles. I refill them at the end of each year.
I've got about 14 of those little heaters but the problem is I have 25 tower stands. I need about 11 or so more of the heaters.
I try to keep at least 2 full bottles of gas in each stand.
I've spent a lifetime hanging off the side of trees in a loc-on style stand in bitter cold temps. But I've spent the last 5 or 6 years building nice clean and dry stands so I can be comfortable and warm. I make no apologies for it, I'm old and wiser...

Thumper
11-18-2014, 09:26 AM
Dang-it Cappy. I see those heaters all the time at these estate sales ... in fact, I saw one just this past weekend, along with a Coleman stove and a case of (disposable I think?) gas bottles. They're usually like new, in the box, as they don't get used much. Heck, I've never bothered to price one, but I'm sure they wouldn't want much for one as there's not a whole lot of use for 'em down here.

Captain
11-18-2014, 09:31 AM
Start buying them. I can use at least a dozen of them.
I currently pay between 35 to 40 bucks each for them.
Never thought to ask you about them.
I'll take all you can find as long as they are in good shape.

Captain
11-18-2014, 09:32 AM
I don't think you can ship the bottles so don't worry about those. I got tons and of them.

Buckrub
11-18-2014, 09:44 AM
Bucky I probably have around 50 of those little gas bottles. I refill them at the end of each year.
I've got about 14 of those little heaters but the problem is I have 25 tower stands. I need about 11 or so more of the heaters.
I try to keep at least 2 full bottles of gas in each stand.
I've spent a lifetime hanging off the side of trees in a loc-on style stand in bitter cold temps. But I've spent the last 5 or 6 years building nice clean and dry stands so I can be comfortable and warm. I make no apologies for it, I'm old and wiser...

YEAH, boy! BOY, do I get it. Yessirreebob.

We have about stopped the climbing stands.........it's all we used to hunt. Now it's 'tower stands'. We don't build 'em like you do, but we buy 'em and fix 'em up best we can.

For a heater, I buy an unused quart paint can. Take the cardboard cylinder out of a roll of toilet paper, and wiggle the remaining toilet paper down into the can. Fill with denatured alcohol. Keep a 'church key' handy. Take off the top, and light the can! Voila. Be careful in a wooden stand!!! Don't knock it over when the Yardmaster steps out. You learn how to not do that, trust me.

Cheap heaters. Work great.

OH, and I just bought some gadget thingy to refill those little green coleman LP bottles from a big bottle..........but haven't used it yet. Others tell me it's easy to do.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Refill-Disposable-Propane-Tank-from-a-Standard-BBQ/

Captain
11-18-2014, 09:52 AM
That's the way I fill them too Bucky. But learn from my mistake. Make SURE your "big" tank is warm, like above 70 degrees. (This is way I fill all my bottles in the summer) put all the little tanks in the freezer over night. Take one out at a time and hook it up to the adapter, cut the big tank on and turn upside down. If the little tank is not frozen and the big tank warm they will not fill. Be sure to weight them before and after filling to make sure you do not over fill. And always check for leaks with soapy water. I have had a couple that the valve has stuck on and were leaking.

Thumper
11-18-2014, 10:01 AM
Start buying them. I can use at least a dozen of them.
I currently pay between 35 to 40 bucks each for them.
Never thought to ask you about them.
I'll take all you can find as long as they are in good shape.

Talking about it prolly jinxed me now ... I'll never see another one from here on out! :(

If I do, I'll be sure and pick 'em up for you. Dang, I seriously doubt they'd be over $5.00 ... if that.

Captain
11-18-2014, 10:13 AM
Dang dude, don't even text me just buy, buy, buy....
Throw them in the mail and let me know what I owe!

Thumper
11-18-2014, 10:18 AM
Dang! Wish I'd known this on Saturday ... one was still sittin' there in the box for 1/2 price (whatever that was) when I left there. I know the guy running the sale real well and he actually owes me a favor. I bought something at a previous sale that didn't work, so I sold it for parts ... he said he'd "make it up to me" on something else down the line. In fact, I bought that radio and clock (posted in an earlier thread) from him and he gave a me a GREAT deal. I prolly could'a bought that heater for pennies. Bummer. :(

jb
11-18-2014, 10:42 AM
One word, PUSSIES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buckrub
11-18-2014, 10:45 AM
oh yeah???

Come go crappie fishing with me next August, big stud muffin.

OK?

Thumper
11-18-2014, 10:57 AM

One word ... INSANE! ;)

LJ3
11-18-2014, 11:29 AM

I think Bubba has hit the proverbial nail on the head here. You guys should bring wax paper to sit on in your stands so your candy asses don't stick to the seat. Are you skeert your vaginas will get frosty?

Thumper
11-18-2014, 12:12 PM
Things contract when they get cold ... I assume that's why Yankees have pea-sized brains when it comes to winters!

BarryBobPosthole
11-18-2014, 12:14 PM
Just remember the number one ice fishing rule: ALWAYS grab it by the shank,.

BKB

Captain
11-18-2014, 03:47 PM
I think Bubba has hit the proverbial nail on the head here. You guys should bring wax paper to sit on in your stands so your candy asses don't stick to the seat. Are you skeert your vaginas will get frosty?

You one to talk there Puss-Master-General....
Did you have to put your girly beer down to type that reply ;)
If I only hunted one or two days a year for a total of 6 or 8 hours I would not bother with them either, But I live in these stands from late August till January and I CHOOSE to be somewhat comfortable :D

LJ3
11-18-2014, 04:01 PM
Heheheheh... he said puss-master-general :)

BarryBobPosthole
11-18-2014, 04:38 PM
He comes up with some good ones once in a while. I may totally steal that one.

Mr General, sir.

BKB

Buckrub
11-18-2014, 06:01 PM
I did think he shoulda capitalized it, and all, but hey.........

And Bubba didn't answer my retort about fishing with me in August down here..........the big pussy.

Thumper
11-18-2014, 06:23 PM
Prolly didn't answer 'cause he froze to death! ;)

jb
11-18-2014, 08:14 PM
Aug in Arkansas is one of the least places I'd like to visit, I would like to visit old Bucky, but not during a time when it's like a steam bath.

Buckrub
11-18-2014, 09:04 PM
Well WHY NOT?

Are you a PUSSY, BIG BOY???

:moon

Buckrub
11-18-2014, 09:04 PM
sometimes I crack myself up.

LJ3
11-18-2014, 10:41 PM
You cracked me up as well. I don't think Bubba appreciates southern humor :)