PDA

View Full Version : Trail Cameras?

HideHunter
11-18-2014, 02:04 PM
Whatchewguys running for trail cams? Been wanting one just to play with for sometime. Got quite a few trails here on the home place and every morning when the dog and I walk - he goes bonkers. I know there's a fox or two.. seen his scat and always coyote tracks. Deer use them to get to the food plot.. So, as I said - just mostly want one to play with.

Just ordered a Covert 40 red. guys tell me they are a pretty good "mid-priced" camera.

Thoughts?

treyball20
11-18-2014, 02:59 PM
I have been running Moultrie cameras on my bear baits for the last 10 yrs. I started with the film ones and now have flash ones. I really like the flash ones so I can tell what color the bear are when they come in. We have so many color phase bears around here that I really like to know the color so I can tell what bear it is. On some cameras the battery life isn't great about 2 weeks, but during spring season it gets pretty cold and snows quite a bit. We do have a cuddleback it is nice, but not that nice for the price difference. I would get one that is super easy to use which all of ours are.

Buckrub
11-18-2014, 03:35 PM
Browning.

Go to trailcampro.com (I think). They rate them, sell them, and warranty them double.

Captain
11-18-2014, 04:02 PM
I've had BUNCHES of them all different kinds. Here's what MY experience has been.
If you put them out and leave them all year like I do you are lucky to get 2 or 3 years out of them. That's has been true for the cheapest to the most expensive alike.
The difference is the cheap ones you toss and get another, the expensive ones you feel like you really need to send them in for repair. And of course they are out of warranty by this time so you end until spending about as much in repairs that a cheap one cost.
For the past few years I've been running the Wild Game Innovation cameras. Whichever model Bass Pro, Dicks or WalleyWorld puts on sale. I usually get them for about it 39 to 49 bucks depending on the model. I've had good luck with them and have only had one problem camera out of 8 or so I have. The camera still works but no longer puts the date and time on the picture? Weird.
My money goes to using the cheaper ones and tossing as needed.

Buckrub
11-18-2014, 05:59 PM
I am glad they work for you. Seriously.

I had 4 Wildgame Innovations cameras and I never saw such chinese junk in my life. I watched countless times as deer would cross in front of the camera, in my visible sight, and there would be no pictures other than me setting it up. I read directions, I changed locations, I moved them closer, etc. Never a picture of an actual animal.

I have had one Browning camera out for a few days so far. It has taken great pictures, has lots of options, is highly easy to set up (otherwise I'd never be able to do it), and I love it. I will set the other one out this week later when I get to camp. It got great reviews at trailcampro.com........ but so did others. And I won't leave mine out past the end of the season.

I know Cappy has figured them out, I was there when he was cussing his original Moultries........and he has learned how to do it. So, I'd listen to him before me. But I did want to weigh in on what little I know.

HideHunter
11-18-2014, 09:19 PM
I probably bought more camera than I really need. I did quite a bit of research. Coverts are well thought of right now, take good pics day and night, pretty serviceable and have some of the best - if not the best - customer service. Sounds like Cuddeback is still considered a hell of a camera but their customer service stinks. Lot of folks pulling away for that reason. They are virtually throw-aways. "Cadillac" is/are the Reconyx - but they start at about three and half. From there - it's all about what you want. IR - flash - black flash. If I enjoy this one I may pick up a couple cheap ones on sale. Actually had heard pretty good things about the Brownings, 'Rub.

Thanks for the input.

Trav
11-18-2014, 10:14 PM
I have been running stealth cams this year and have been really happy with them. Mine have the 7mp camera and you have all seen the pics, pretty good I think.

Fido
11-19-2014, 10:37 AM
Went tooo the site, ordered a Scoutguard 565. Wanted tooo get color pics at night-time! Already have 2 Moultries and they perform quite well.

BarryBobPosthole
11-19-2014, 10:50 AM
I've been seeing more and more game/trail camera technology put to use in home security. Or maybe its the other way around I don't know. But there's a lot of pilferers getting caught on video and images that get put on the innerwebs nowadays. A lot of that is taken from stuff you guys like to use.

BKB