PDA

View Full Version : Kudos where kudos are due ...

Thumper
11-19-2014, 10:59 AM
A while back, I ran across a Zippo lighter that had a busted retainer (that holds the top closed). It was a collectible piece and I got it for pennies! Zippo is like Leupold ... if it's broken, they'll stand behind it for life. I sent the lighter in to Zippo and they replaced the complete insides ... even paid the return shipping AND included a new box and instruction sheet along with a pack of new flints! I think I sold that lighter for something like $85.00!

A couple weeks ago I was at another sale. Same scenario. I found another collectible (they're not ALL collectible btw) and picked it up for 50-cents. It had no flint, but who cares? I had the pack of flints they sent with the last lighter I sent in. I got it home, tried to install a new flint and found a problem. I have no clue what was blocking the little hole the flint goes into, but whatever it was, was jammed tight and wouldn't budge. I tried a small drill bit, a nail ... whatever I could think of to get whatever was in there, out ... but to no avail. I "think" someone along the line tried installing a flint that was too big and it's jammed solid! (just a guess)

I finally gave up and sent it in to Zippo explaining the problem and I'd understand if there's a charge for the repair because it's obviously been damaged and is not a defect. Well, I just got an eMail from Zippo letting me know the lighter has been repaired, at no charge, and it has been shipped back to me (four days after they received it I might add).

I'm sure it'll be the same scenario .. new innards, new box and new papers ... along with a supply of flints. Ya' just can't ask for better customer service than that! The kicker? I should be able to easily get about $60-$70 bucks for this lighter! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
11-19-2014, 11:06 AM
What is it makes a zippo collectible there, sensei?

BKB

Thumper
11-19-2014, 02:49 PM
What is it makes a zippo collectible there, sensei?

BKB

I wish I knew persactly P-hole. The first one I sold a long time ago had advertising for Camel cigarettes and sold for over $100. I see others with Camel ads that bring $12-$15. I don't remember the details on mine, it's been a while. I sold another for $80-$90 I believe and it had an image of John Wayne as a Green Beret on it. The last one I sold was one I posted here a while back. It had a gold (brass?) dinosaur on it and was an old Sinclair Oil thing ... I think you even commented and the post morphed into where the Sinclair stations are these days. This one I just sent for repairs has a Kenworth truck on it with old truck dealer advertising on it. (somewhere in Pennsylvania I believe, can't remember)

The older the better generally. There are hash marks on the bottom of the lighters (starting in the mid-50's) and are a code for the year it was made.

Thumper
11-19-2014, 02:57 PM
Here ya' go. This also tells how to date 'em before the hash marks ... from the 30's to the mid-50's.

http://www.zippo.com/about/article.aspx?id=1582