PDA

View Full Version : Things to do in Tulsa?

yellowk9
11-19-2014, 04:50 PM
My youngest boy is riding in the BMX Grand National Races (the biggest BMX race in the world). This is an annual thing in Tulsa and we'll be there for four days on Thanksgiving weekend. We'll have a lot of down time between races and I need to come up with some reasonably priced activities to distract the wife and two boys (5 and 7). We're staying slap in the middle of downtown, so if anything is within walking distance, that's great. If not driving is fine too. In a quick google I came up with the following:

Gilcrease Museum (for the wife and I, the kids would just have to suffer through it)

Tulsa Zoo

Tulsa Air and Space Museum

Any other cheap or free things to do for a family of four in the Tulsa area? Thanks guys.

Buckrub
11-19-2014, 04:53 PM
Posthole's house in Owasso.

Birddog's boat.

LW's firehouse.

BarryBobPosthole
11-19-2014, 05:20 PM
The Tulsa Zoo is fine if the weather is nice. I think it's supposed to be 50's that week. That'll probably do for the zoo. The Woolaroc museum near Bartlesville is a better deal for families with different aged kids. Its about a 30 mile drive from downtown Tulsa though. Let me know if you're interested and I 'll get you some good driving directions from where you are.

The Gilcrease Museum is awesome. One of the best collections of western art there is. Anywhere. Man, I'm not ure what else there is going on in Tulsa the week of Thanksgiving. That's a helluva a time to have a bicycle race.

BKB

Bwana
11-19-2014, 06:43 PM
I've got nothing but best of luck to your son!

LW
11-19-2014, 07:09 PM
I would recommend the Oklahoma Aquarium in Jenks (connects to Tulsa). Its fantastic. Stay west of hwy 169 and south of hwy 244 and you will be happy. Avoid my firehouse with small children at all cost. No better place for them to learn new words. Except Lens house...

LW
11-19-2014, 07:11 PM
Is Oklahoma becoming the Goodhunting tourism destination of choice? Gunther was asking about OKC the other day.

BarryBobPosthole
11-19-2014, 07:47 PM
The Aquarium is a good idea. I checked and BOK Center right downtown has some minor league hockey that weekend too. I 'll keep looking. Nothing at the PAC or at the Brady.

BKB

yellowk9
11-25-2014, 05:59 PM
Thanks a lot fellas. I knew we had some Okie experts on here. The wife is none to pleased that she doesn't get to eat turkey with her Mom (who she sees every damn week), but she'll get over it. They've had this race on Thanksgiving weekend for decades. It's either that or Christmas. They have to pick a time when most kids are out of school and can travel to Tulsa. We only have a 5 hour drive. Many families are coming from the east and west coasts.