PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else find it ironic?.....

Captain
11-20-2014, 05:48 AM
That Big Muddy AND Sunny have both disappeared at the same time?
Hum....

Thumper
11-20-2014, 07:47 AM
But, then again, sunshine and mud really don't go together all that well. Hmmm. Maybe ol' Muddy ran off with Gabby ... he wouldn't be the first. ;)

LJ3
11-20-2014, 11:20 AM
I think I may have pissed Sunny off by quoting her after she cried about it. My bad. I couldn't help it!

BarryBobPosthole
11-20-2014, 11:56 AM
I think Eddie might be hunting. Prolly got Sandy out running deer and don't wanna get caught. Or maybe he's blowing them up with dynamite!

I sure hope my tannerite question isn't what spooked him. it was an honest question. I had no idea it was sensitive.

BKB

Buckrub
11-20-2014, 12:00 PM
What?

Captain
11-20-2014, 12:02 PM
What?

Yea, I missed that too?

BarryBobPosthole
11-20-2014, 12:14 PM
I'd asked a question one day about those targets that explode when you shoot them. Tannerite maybe? Not sure if that's the name or not. My sister had mentioned that she heard explosions by her house and that's what it was, some neighbors shooting those exploding targets. Sounded like a lot of fun. Eddie posted some information on it and then deleted all of his posts. And that's about the last time I've seen him post. I was just hoping it wasn't because of that.

BKB

Captain
11-20-2014, 12:17 PM
Oh, OK. Seems like I remember that thread. That stuff is fun to shoot!
I've talked to him several times lately he's not mentioned anything negative....
I was just trying to call him and her out....

Buckrub
11-20-2014, 12:20 PM
Well, I missed all that.

Is there some way we can get the deer to eat Tannerite??

Chicken Dinner
11-20-2014, 12:47 PM
Prolly not, but he did post a really cool video of a bunch of hogs rooting around in a corn pile that had a bunch of tannerite under it. Talk about makin' bacon!

Captain
11-20-2014, 12:50 PM
here you go Bucky....
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mUyQqJi1_DY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buckrub
11-20-2014, 12:54 PM
Wow.

I was thinking how much it would aid in blood trailing. Man I'm tired of looking for tiny specs. Thinking of powdering it and putting it in my corn.

quercus alba
11-20-2014, 01:52 PM
might want to switch to Hornady Light Mags

BarryBobPosthole
11-20-2014, 02:00 PM
Beagles are cheap. and legal in Arkansas.

BKB

Buckrub
11-20-2014, 03:26 PM
might want to switch to Hornady Light Mags

That was cruel, QA.

P.S.
I was not discussing ME! I shoot and leave a blood trail (when I hit, which the last four have done, perfectly).........I was talking about the guy in camp shooting blasted Core Lokt's and leaving a SPECK of blood that we trailed (like beagles) through stuff a rabbit can't go, for hours and hours, to find a very nice 10 point lying there! He thought he'd missed, because there was no hair, no blood, nothing.........for 30 yards into the thicket. And it was a PERFECT hit.

BarryBobPosthole
11-20-2014, 03:33 PM
That happens a lot in that thick stuff. I killed a deer down in Warren, Arkansas several years ago right along the Saline River (I think it's Saline, or Sabine). The shot was probably 75 yards and through a window sized opening in the brush. I let him lay for about ten minutes and then got up off the stand to go look at him and h wasn't there. I had to hang my hat in a tree, go back to the stand and re-set up the shot and then do that again before I found tracks of him tearing up jack to get out of there and a drop or two of blood. I was on hands and knees and trailed that deer by tracks and very little blood for at least 150 yards......right back to about 20 feet from my stand. How he piled up that close to me without me hearing is still a puzzle to me but I must have been pretty excited to have missed him making that big circle and then dropping that close to me. but I never saw a hair of that deer after I shot until the time I found him. Sure glad I did too!

ps....I was shooting core lokt 180's too.

BKB

Buckrub
11-20-2014, 03:36 PM
I rest my case.

I have seen FMJ's drop a deer in its tracks. I did. Long story, not me.........but I did. Perfect shot placement will kill 'em, no matter what.

I shoot superior bullets because I don't always put perfect shot placement.

And, a deer has 2 1/2 times the number of units of blood that a human does. Blow their heart out, and sometimes they run anyway, before they know they're dead. Hydrostatic shock will drop 'em.........spine shots will drop 'em........but a killing shot doesn't always drop 'em, no matter what Cowboy is shooting 'em. But they're dead and need to be found.........and our shooting lanes are bordered by a zillion acres of jungle!!!

BarryBobPosthole
11-20-2014, 03:56 PM
I think if I had hunted longer I would have converted to a neck shooter. I was taught to shoot 'em in the lights and that's what I did 99% of time, unless it was caribou and then you know.....Seems like if I got the shot into the shoulder bone they broke down better and didn't run off. Didn't seem to change the penetration I got either, as I don't ever recall one I hit solidly in the shoulder ever going more than a step or two. The ones I had to trail typically went through and through and like you said, heart shot to pieces or not they'd run a lot further than you could imagine they could.

If you're a good shot though, and you can, the neck is the place to hit 'em I think.

BKB

Thumper
11-20-2014, 04:01 PM
I have no clue what I usually used. Whet ever was on sale at Wally World is what I'd buy. I've lost one deer in my life. Followed a massive blood trail like forever, then all of a sudden, no blood ... and no deer. I still think some a-hole saw him drop and got him out'ta there somehow while I was trailing (plus I waited in my stand 10-15 mins. before going after him). But to my knowledge, there wasn't anybody else out there. It was a mystery for sure and I have no clue what happened to that deer. I will say, he was running on empty!

BarryBobPosthole
11-20-2014, 04:06 PM
Likely story. You gotta carry that 'I didn't look long enough' guilt for the rest of your life, sonny!

I was sitting on a tree limb one time about 15 feet off the ground and shot a one horned buck straight down beneath me right between the should blades (06/likely 180s). He piled up in a nanosecond. I waited a bit and then lowered my gun down by my rope and as soon as my gun touched the ground he jumped up and ran off. Scared the living shit out of me. So I blood trailed that dude for three hours and lost him. I did the ever expanding circle thing, you name it and he was gone forever. There must have been a quart of blood on the ground underneath my tree where he laid. I still think he was somewhere under a bush real close by but I never found him.

And yeah, I still feel guilty.

Thumper
11-20-2014, 04:11 PM
That was a HUGE problem with me ... the guilt. That was the first and only deer I ever lost. Now admittedly, I have shot one or two that I could not find, but one of my buddies found it. I don't count that as lost. There were three of us looking for that one that got away. None of us could see any way in hell he could still be alive with the massive blood loss ... the trail just dried up and he was nowhere to be found. I think he crawled into a hole somewhere.

Buckrub
11-20-2014, 04:22 PM
I think if I had hunted longer I would have converted to a neck shooter. I was taught to shoot 'em in the lights and that's what I did 99% of time, unless it was caribou and then you know.....Seems like if I got the shot into the shoulder bone they broke down better and didn't run off. Didn't seem to change the penetration I got either, as I don't ever recall one I hit solidly in the shoulder ever going more than a step or two. The ones I had to trail typically went through and through and like you said, heart shot to pieces or not they'd run a lot further than you could imagine they could.

If you're a good shot though, and you can, the neck is the place to hit 'em I think.

BKB

I am NOT the hunter that many on here are, by any means. Every one of you knows that.

But I have an opinion, and my opinion is that a mature buck's neck, especially in November, is full of muscle and meat, and the goozle and arteries are very small. Hitting them in the neck drops blood, but if the artery or goozle is not severed, he lives.

I WILL take a neck shot on some deer, if that's all I have. But if I have more, I try to hit heart/lungs.

Chicken Dinner
11-20-2014, 04:31 PM
I go back and forth on bullets, but mostly use good old Remington Corelokt's. I admit it's mostly because they're readily available. I think it's a lot about where you hit them. My oldest use 100 grain corelokt's (.243) on his deer a couple of weeks ago and you could put your fist through the exit wound. I've had exit wounds that were barely bigger than the entrance wounds before. I was talking to a older guy this past weekend who killed a real nice buck where I was hunting and he uses groundhog loads out of a .243 and kills a bunch of deer.

I've only lost two deer in my life and one was with .35 Remington Core Lokt's and the other was with a .54 caliber lead roundball out of a muzzle loader. I spent the better part of a day trailing both and regret it until this day. I'm still very conservative about the shot's I take as I don't like tracking deer. At all. A properly executed neck shot is a thing of beauty and I've used is successfully. I really like it on does. When a nice buck comes along, I'm doing my best to put it through both shoulders if I can.

Buckrub
11-20-2014, 04:38 PM
CD, neither of those are much gun when it comes to deer.

Here's one of my pet peeves, I guess. Most hunters will buy a $50,000 truck, a $10,000+ ATV, wear for EACH outing over $1,500 worth of clothing and boots, shoot a $500 rifle with a $700 scope, and then whine if the bullets cost more than $0.50 each.

The most important part of deer hunting is the bullet. I owe the deer the very best I can put into 'em, and as humane a death as I can give 'em..........no scrimping allowed.

Chicken Dinner
11-20-2014, 04:51 PM
I mostly agree with you on premium bullets. I'd prefer to use them. My challenge has been that I don't reload and don't ever intend to. I've bought premium bullets, sighted in and hunted and then when I go to get more they're unavailable. Then, I'm back at square one. Now that I've joined a local gun club and am shooting more it's not as big a deal as when I was scrambling for a good place to sight in. Where we disagree is that the .243 and .35 Remington aren't much gun for deer. I think both are plenty for eastern whitetail.
So, is a .54 caliber muzzle loader.

Thumper
11-20-2014, 04:54 PM
Well Buckster, when I hunted, I drove a beater Suburban I bought from Gary Carty's BIL for $2500, I rode a second hand ATV I bought for $1800 and wore Levis and flannel shirts ('til I got fat and bought some Wally World camo). I hunted public land (no lease/club) with a budget Ruger (rifle) or plain-Jane Remington shotgun, with a second hand scope I bought on eBay. Yes, I'd whine if bullets cost more than $0.50 each, but I killed my deer pretty danged dead and they wouldn't go far before they dropped. I suppose with your reasoning ... bow hunting should be outlawed. Thank you. ;)

Buckrub
11-20-2014, 05:04 PM
Well Buckster, when I hunted, I drove a beater Suburban I bought from Gary Carty's BIL for $2500, I rode a second hand ATV I bought for $1800 and wore Levis and flannel shirts ('til I got fat and bought some Wally World camo). I hunted public land (no lease/club) with a budget Ruger (rifle) or plain-Jane Remington shotgun, with a second hand scope I bought on eBay. Yes, I'd whine if bullets cost more than $0.50 each, but I killed my deer pretty danged dead and they wouldn't go far before they dropped. I suppose with your reasoning ... bow hunting should be outlawed. Thank you. ;)

You, however, are not normal in this, or any other, example.

Chicken Dinner
11-20-2014, 05:06 PM
Thumper is not normal? Man, I find myself agreeing with you more than not these days.

Buckrub
11-20-2014, 05:08 PM
I mostly agree with you on premium bullets. I'd prefer to use them. My challenge has been that I don't reload and don't ever intend to. I've bought premium bullets, sighted in and hunted and then when I go to get more they're unavailable. Then, I'm back at square one. Now that I've joined a local gun club and am shooting more it's not as big a deal as when I was scrambling for a good place to sight in. Where we disagree is that the .243 and .35 Remington aren't much gun for deer. I think both are plenty for eastern whitetail.
So, is a .54 caliber muzzle loader.

I base my opinion of the .35 Rem on the fact that there is barely 1,000 ft-lbs of energy at 100 yards, the absolute minimum I'd allow is deadly for deer sized game, and much, much less than 1,000 at 200 yards. There's only 500 other cartridges more suitable. These are my opinions.

and the .54 is capable of being a decent ML. But they were used so often with patched roundballs. Just not accurate or deadly enough for deer.

All are my opinions.

Chicken Dinner
11-20-2014, 05:12 PM
Well, I wouldn't shoot at a deer at 200 yards with a .35 Remington. So, maybe we're not that far off. Then again, I think 150 yards is the furthest I ever shot at a deer and that was with a 7.62 FMJ and the deer was DRT. (No, I wouldn't recommend it. But, all the other guns in the safe were making fun of her for never killing a deer.) If you think a patched round ball isn't accurate, I don't even know where to start...

Buckrub
11-20-2014, 05:20 PM
It can be, to some degree.

http://www.whitemuzzleloading.com/shooting_round_balls_in_fast_twi.htm

Thumper
11-20-2014, 05:28 PM
What? Me normal?

http://bookofjoe.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c5dea53ef01310f9e8536970c-800wi

Chicken Dinner
11-20-2014, 05:30 PM
Why would someone shoot patched ball through a fast twist barrel? It's not what it was designed for.

Buckrub
11-20-2014, 05:34 PM
Well, I dunno. But it's why I said that.

I don't know s*** from apple butter, after eating both. Don't mind me.

Thumper
11-20-2014, 05:37 PM
You ate s***???

Chicken Dinner
11-20-2014, 05:38 PM
Maybe it's just personal experience. I used to hang around my late step father and his buddies at their black powder shoots on Sundays and they were some of the best shots I ever saw. Talk about beautiful rifles, too. Nothing like a full-stocked Virginia or Kentucky rifle with curly maple wood to get my blood pumping. My .54 Hawken, that he built for me, is more accurate than I can shoot it.

Buckrub
11-20-2014, 05:39 PM
Sure. Didn't you read Posty's slam on me on the other thread???? notworthy

Big Skyz
11-20-2014, 05:54 PM
"You ate s***??? "

He thought it was apple butter. ;)