PDA

View Full Version : A "Thump" story

Captain
11-21-2014, 07:50 AM
This past summer we took a trip up to London, Ontario and just took in all the area had to offer. One day Cheryl and I just spent the day walking around London going to all the tourist places, parks, museums, etc. We came to the oldest house in London and went through for a tour. While walking through the kitchen we noticed a Dutch oven hanging in a fireplace, on the lid was Fair, Day and DeKlyne, Knoxville, Tenn. Cheryl made the comment since Meredith was with us that the pot was made where she now lives a long time ago. I also commented it probably took a month or more back then to get that pot from Knoxville to London Canada
Fast forward to October during one of yalls cast iron post.... Conine posted a picture of exact pot we saw in Canada and was inquiring to Thumper about value and he thought he would throw it up on eBay for sale. I sent Conine a text and told him once he settled on a price to let me know and I'd buy it, but never heard back. I just figured he was busy with life and traveling back and forth to Huston or he decided not to sell it. I thought it would be cool to restore and reseason it and give it to Meredith since she now lives in Knoxville.

A few weeks ago when he showed up for the Goodhunting deer shoot he and Di made me a gift of the pot! Man I was floored!
Just wanted to offer Niner and Mrs. Di a public thank you and share there kind generosity.
Due to ForumRunner not allowing me to post but one picture at a time I'm going to edit this post and put up some images of the restoring/re seasoning process. Before picture, I actually had to steal this picture from NINER original post as I ALWAYS forget to take before pictures.
This is a picture of just after I worked it down with a wire brush on a drill...
I found an over size bucket and soaked the pot in white vinegar for several days and then used the wire brush again. It would literally rust within moments after it set. It was down to sure enough original metal...
Finally started the seasoning process. This took several days and many coats but got it done.
I called Lodge cast iron company looking for help in finding a handle. I and told them what I had and how wide the pot was and they made me a handle for 5 bucks... (Shipping was 9) Very nice folks there. Anyway long story short, It's done and ready to give to Meredith.
Thanks to Bill and Di this old pot will be used again and returned to Knoxville! Sure wish that old pot could talk and tell its stories.....

Buckrub
11-21-2014, 07:52 AM
If that ain't the coolest story I ever heard!

Cards01
11-21-2014, 08:49 AM
That is great!! And it turned out well.

Chicken Dinner
11-21-2014, 10:09 AM
Nice job. I hope she knows how to treat good cast iron.

HideHunter
11-21-2014, 10:33 AM
^^^^like^^^ :clap

Bwana
11-21-2014, 10:34 AM
Neato, Peato.

BarryBobPosthole
11-21-2014, 12:16 PM
The best part of that pot's story has just been told, Captain!

That's a nice piece!

BKB

Chicken Dinner
11-21-2014, 01:20 PM
Good thing you cleaned it up as I thought it was a spittoon when it was sitting there by the fireplace.

Thumper
11-21-2014, 04:44 PM
Have Meredith call me ... I'll fill her in on how to get the most for it on eBay! :D

Ha! Seriously, that's really cool. Does Meredith cook?

Captain
11-21-2014, 04:54 PM
Yes she is a good cook. And she uses a Dutch oven quite often. This being a camp (open fire) model not sure how much she will use it or how it will fit into a stove. But I know she will love it just the same.

BarryBobPosthole
11-21-2014, 04:55 PM
i was thinking just looking at it that it'd make a pretty dang good bean pot.

BKB

Niner
11-21-2014, 10:27 PM
Dangit Cap'n, you are gonna ruin my bad reputation as an Internet ax murderer and general ner-do-well.

But seriously......That ol' pot had been sitting out in my barn/garage for years. I honestly cannot remember how long ago we acquired it, but I'd have to guess about 15-20 years or so.

I had thought about listing it on eBay, but when you mentioned you'd like to get it to restore it for your daughter who now lives where the pot came from.......well, gifting it to y'all's family was a bit of a no brainer on our part.

And what a job you did on it! Even if she doesn't cook in it, it will look way cool sitting on her hearth....having "come home to roost".

From what VERY LIMITED information I was abe to find on it, that foundry was active during the Civil War. So, that pot could possibly be 150 years old.

Arty
11-21-2014, 10:47 PM
That is way cool.

Knoxville.. Home of "Towe Iron Works". My great uncle (my dads dads brother) founded back in the 40's or maybe early 50's.
My great uncle is long since gone... His kids (maybe grandkids) run it now. If my grandpa hadn't shit his nest with his brother.... I might be rich!

BarryBobPosthole
11-22-2014, 09:59 AM
Is there iron ore nearby there? Is that the reason there's a lot of iron works companies founded in that area?

BKB